Waterproof, electrified-capable Pelican Tankbag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowAndSilent

Reaction score
I've had this project in the works for a while now, but finally got around to drilling the holes and mounting it up. I got some inspiration from some gents at the last tech day in April, who gave me some advice on positioning to make it work without having resort to spacers. I had the bag and everything ready to go, but just needed some nudging in the right direction. Thanks to those who helped, and to Bryan (AuburnFJR) for lending some tools to grind down the bumpers. ;)

IMG_1738.JPG

But why?

Well, I love having a tankbag for the easy access to frequently used items on a ride. It'll be a handy place to store notes and receipts during some upcoming rally's and IBA rides. I also live in the Pacific North Wet, commute year round, and that means I need to have a waterproof place to store everything. I have used regular tankbags with fiddly covers, but they have either allowed water to seep through, or have been ripped off at interstate speeds. Not cool.

Eventually, the bag will be electrified via an SAE port (as seen below). It'll allow the bag to be quickly disconnected for stowage. Inside of the bag, I'll keep whatever electronics and their chargers, so they can stay topped off during the ride. I'm trying to source a good audio extension so I can run a cable out of the headphone jack of my iPhone/iPod, to a mounted audio jack on the side of the case, so I can plug in my headset unit for music, etc. If any of you know of anything, please feel free to make recommendations.

ptb.jpg

So, on to the photos.

web.jpg

web.jpg

From the cockpit:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Now, mounting it like this did make it come really close to the handlebars. I have MCL risers, so, that put them pretty darn close at full lock. How close?

Left:

web.jpg

Right:

web.jpg

But it works!

Now, just waiting for the SAE port to arrive then it'll be down to some quick drilling and the case will be ready to go. :yahoo: I'm thinking for a future version, I'll be going with a locking base, so I can lock the case to the bike, and the case clocked, and perhaps a larger Pelican case. Like the 1300. That'll give me a little more storage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting.

I can see putting a wedge in the mounting ring to tip the case a bit towards you. How does it fit when you mount the bike. Can you access the contents while under way?

You may want to use the SW Motec electrified tank ring mount instead.

You get an A+ for trying something novel.

smile.gif

Brodie

Very interesting.

I can see putting a wedge in the mounting ring to tip the case a bit towards you. How does it fit when you mount the bike. Can you access the contents while under way?

You may want to use the SW Motec electrified tank ring mount instead.

smile.gif

Brodie
I had considered something like that, just seemed a little beyond my skills at the moment. Trying to wrap my head around how the case would still be secured to the mount, and then the wedge, just left me confused. I'd probably have to use some of the other mounting holes.

Fitment is perfectly fine. I don't hit the case or even come near it. I can have the wifey take a photo of me on the bike, but I never tuck in so it's not an issue. I possibly could use it while underway, but it may be fun to get the case closed again. The clasps are pretty tight, so it may become easier with time. I had considered attaching, via button snaps, a waterproof map pocket ontop. I could stow little candies, energy gels, etc in that if accessing the case while moving proves difficult. I have a throttlelock which may come in handy to free up my right hand, but I believe that I should still be able to open the case with my left hand.

I could not source an electrified ring, because I did not purchase a Bags Connection bag. SW Motech requires you to indicate which topring you want (regular or electric) when selecting a bag, but do not allow separate sales of the ring without proof of purchase. But, that way of doing it had interested me as it would save a step. Overall, I did what I could do at the time.

Maybe if I can get someone who is looking at purchasing a Bags Connection bag to order and electrified topring and swap with me, that'd be nice, but I can wait.

It seems like getting into this at speed might be problematic, which is something I do all the time to grab a snack, drink from a water bottle, get gum, even change gloves while tooling down the highway. If it hinged in the front, that might make it doable for me.

Other than that. Pretty spiffy.

When I first saw this thread, I thought your Pelican was mounted on a rear rack, so I figure you were wiring up some rearward-facing LED brake lights, or some such. A Pelican "tankbag" was an interesting surprise.

While I agree getting into the bag while underway at speed might appear to be a bit problematic, this is a pretty cool concept nonetheless. And if you don't intent to get into to it while underway, all the better.

It seems like getting into this at speed might be problematic, which is something I do all the time to grab a snack, drink from a water bottle, get gum, even change gloves while tooling down the highway. If it hinged in the front, that might make it doable for me.

Other than that. Pretty spiffy.
Agreed. Hinged at the front was my first thought, but the bag becomes too wide with my risers to be functional. I would have had to create a tall spacer (over two inches, I think) to get the case to clear the bars at lock. Just not do-able for me, thus why it's turned.

When I first saw this thread, I thought your Pelican was mounted on a rear rack, so I figure you were wiring up some rearward-facing LED brake lights, or some such. A Pelican "tankbag" was an interesting surprise.

While I agree getting into the bag while underway at speed might appear to be a bit problematic, this is a pretty cool concept nonetheless. And if you don't intent to get into to it while underway, all the better.
Thanks! Yes, I rarely need to access a tankbag while under way, and as written above, may consider storing little things in an attached map cover if I ever absolutely need something (or, as I've discovered, I believe my glove-box opens even when I am in gear, so I can use that for small items and quick access). Otherwise, this is more for storing a camera, iPhone, some notepad / pens, and other needed paperwork. Stuff I want to have handy at a gas-stop or bonus location. When I go for rides I usually don't stop all that often (earning me the nickname "The Camel" from a riding buddy) and when I do, like to minimize my time off the bike as much as possible. I really need to look at auxillary tanks next... :huh:

Maybe if I can get someone who is looking at purchasing a Bags Connection bag to order and electrified topring and swap with me, that'd be nice, but I can wait.
L&S -- I picked up a tank bag this weekend with an electrified ring. I'd be happy to swap with you for a standard one. Let me know if you'd like it.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk it over.

--G

Having a lockable Pelican (I have 2WheelTiger's) on my tank and it is a little smaller the LowandSilent's, I do notice that it does shake a lot when loaded at highway speeds. My question would be how strong the gas tank lip is? Can it handle a larger case that is loaded?

L&S -- I picked up a tank bag this weekend with an electrified ring. I'd be happy to swap with you for a standard one. Let me know if you'd like it.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk it over.

--G
George,

Thanks for the gracious offer! I've replied to your PM.

Having a lockable Pelican (I have 2WheelTiger's) on my tank and it is a little smaller the LowandSilent's, I do notice that it does shake a lot when loaded at highway speeds. My question would be how strong the gas tank lip is? Can it handle a larger case that is loaded?
I've had the bike up to 80 mph and noticed no effect. My bag was empty at the time, but I do not see the type of weight I am going to add making a difference. A bloke on Stromtroopers / ADV added a Pelican 1300 (about half a pound heavier, and two inches taller). He has not mentioned any ill effects last I saw. Do you believe the shaking may be due to the top-ring mount not mating tightly with the tank ring?

On a different note, I really like the idea of being able to lock the bag to the bike. Luggage Locker offers such a system, but I really don't want to have to purchase a new tank ring system right now, especially as I would have to redrill the mounting holes and fill the old ones. Toooo much fabricating for me.

So, I'm trying to source a keyed push/plunger lock that will work with the SW-Motech top ring. It's an M10 size thread. Needs at least 6mm of bolt, according to SW-Motech. So far, my search has turned up fruitless. :(

I've had the bike up to 80 mph and noticed no effect. My bag was empty at the time, but I do not see the type of weight I am going to add making a difference. A bloke on Stromtroopers / ADV added a Pelican 1300 (about half a pound heavier, and two inches taller). He has not mentioned any ill effects last I saw. Do you believe the shaking may be due to the top-ring mount not mating tightly with the tank ring?

No, my thoughts were the weight distribution compared to the mounting location; the mounting is forward of the weight center. I had the case well loaded and was doing 10 mph faster than your test.

Regarding your idea of locking to the tank. I will take a few pictures of how my case is secured, which 2WheelTiger did with off the shelf supplies send them to you.

No, my thoughts were the weight distribution compared to the mounting location; the mounting is forward of the weight center. I had the case well loaded and was doing 10 mph faster than your test.

Regarding your idea of locking to the tank. I will take a few pictures of how my case is secured, which 2WheelTiger did with off the shelf supplies send them to you.
That may do it. In the name of science, I'll duplicate those conditions later today. ;)

Are you the gent I talked to at the Spring Tech Day? I believe I remember the cover that was attached to that ring mount. That is one way of doing it if I cannot locate an applicable lock in the size needed.

Thinking outside the box.

:good:
I can't take credit for it, really. I had seen it done before over on ADV and Stromtroopers, but not on an FJR yet. One of the guys at the PNW Spring Tech Day in April had a hardcase mounted in a very similar fashion. I had been holding off on installing the case as I could not find the correct positioning. The guys there pointed me in the right direction, which led me to grinding down the nubs on the bottom of the case for more room. Otherwise, the case would not fit with the risers.

I'm really happy with it so far, but haven't had a chance to try it in the rain. That'll come Saturday evening. In the meantime, I'll get to see how useful it is at the Umatilla Scavenger Hunt this weekend.

I'm no McGuyver by any means, but here's a suggestion: What about forming and mounting some sort of soft rubber block under the side facing you to get rid of the cantilever position I see? That would make it more stable and let the tank distribute weight better...

Cool concept you've got going.

I'm no McGuyver by any means, but here's a suggestion: What about forming and mounting some sort of soft rubber block under the side facing you to get rid of the cantilever position I see? That would make it more stable and let the tank distribute weight better...

Cool concept you've got going.
Now that is a darn good idea, but I can see one issue if the rubber block was resting against the tank to provide enough support for weight distribution...

To remove the tanbag, the front of the case must be lifted upwards, sending the rear down towards the tank. If something were in the space you described, it'd be squished if too soft (thus defeating the purpose of it all together), or not allow the bag to be removed (since there is not enough give).

But I like your thinking!