waterproof riding suit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

test

Reaction score
Today in the Phoenix, AZ Republic Cabela's advertised Frogg Togg waterproof "sport suit" for only $29.99. I don't know if this is offered nationwide at Cabela's but it is worth checking out. I have used these for over 20 years in non-stop pouring rain and it has never failed. There is no abrasion protection at all it simply keeps you dry regardless of how hard and how much it is raining and weighs only a pound or so.

I may need to try Frogg Toggs again. Quite awhile ago I had a set that was VERY uninspiring & I vowed not to ever waste money on another set. They look like they've come a long way since then & I may need to give them another try... & don't believe that I just said that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Water resistant, I guess. Maybe. Water proof? No f'n way. Sorry, I've been damn good and wet riding in heavy rain for a couple of hours in Frogg Toggs. All over. ALL over. Really soaked through my leather jacket and pants under the F.T.s. It would take a lot more than a testimonial or two to convince me they're better now. Sorry, not buying it.

Water resistant, I guess. Maybe. Water proof? No f'n way. Sorry, I've been damn good and wet riding in heavy rain for a couple of hours in Frogg Toggs. All over. ALL over. Really soaked through my leather jacket and pants under the F.T.s. It would take a lot more than a testimonial or two to convince me they're better now. Sorry, not buying it.
YEP!

I have an inkling that not all Frogg Toggs are created equal. They do make several different models and they seem to get widely differing reviews.

Might be worth trying to figure out which models are the good 'uns. The promise of pulling on a pair of breathable and still water proof pants is very alluring in the summer, when wearing mesh gear. I never did buy find any yet, after the thread I started last year, other than pants fit for winter cold.

The Road Toads are what you want for our bikes, single layer, made better than they used to be, better zippers, etc. I like 'em because they breathe, come in hi-viz and pack small. There are ones marketed to the Harley crowd, Hogg Toggs or something like that, they are two layers, rather heavy so they don't pack small, probly don't breathe as well.

The material is woven polyester, and we can argue all day whether they're waterproof or water resistant...... I've only gotten wet because water ran in the top around my neck or I didn't have the jacket down over my pants properly and got a wet crotch. Again, I like them because the breathe and I don't sweat to death like all the rubberized "waterproof" suits. You do have handle them with care.

Naw. None of them are as good as a decent set of Jacket and Pants. Get something like a First Gear or Darien. Weather resistance AND protection without the need to stop and do the roadside rainsuit boogie every time it looks like rain. Looks like rain? Zip shut the vents. Doesn't/ Zip open the vents. No need to even stop.

Naw. None of them are as good as a decent set of Jacket and Pants. Get something like a First Gear or Darien. Weather resistance AND protection without the need to stop and do the roadside rainsuit boogie every time it looks like rain. Looks like rain? Zip shut the vents. Doesn't/ Zip open the vents. No need to even stop.
I have that, but who on earth can zip all the vents on one of these jackets shut whith only one gloved hand at speed...And then separate and close the velcro covers. My gear is waterproof, but if I don't put rain gear on over it, then I end up with gear that is soaked and most likely won't dry over-night.

I would much rather stop and do the rain gear dance than deal with wet/cold riding gear over a multi day trip. Besides, if I'm gonna close all the vents on my jacket, I have to stop to do it anyway.

The Road Toads are what you want for our bikes, single layer, made better than they used to be, better zippers, etc. I like 'em because they breathe, come in hi-viz and pack small.

There are ones marketed to the Harley crowd, Hogg Toggs or something like that, they are two layers, rather heavy so they don't pack small, probly don't breathe as well.

The material is woven polyester, and we can argue all day whether they're waterproof or water resistant...... I've only gotten wet because water ran in the top around my neck or I didn't have the jacket down over my pants properly and got a wet crotch. Again, I like them because the breathe and I don't sweat to death like all the rubberized "waterproof" suits. You do have to handle them with care.
+1, Gunny; Ray is right on saying that Road Toads are what you want, just Pitiful that a Canuckistani Hoser has to straighten you Mooks out - eh! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

The Road Toads are what you want for our bikes, single layer, made better than they used to be, better zippers, etc. I like 'em because they breathe, come in hi-viz and pack small. There are ones marketed to the Harley crowd, Hogg Toggs or something like that, they are two layers, rather heavy so they don't pack small, probly don't breathe as well.

The material is woven polyester, and we can argue all day whether they're waterproof or water resistant...... I've only gotten wet because water ran in the top around my neck or I didn't have the jacket down over my pants properly and got a wet crotch. Again, I like them because the breathe and I don't sweat to death like all the rubberized "waterproof" suits. You do have handle them with care.

I've had three sets of these and they all leaked in a heavy rain, especially in the crotch area. I don't like 'em.

I've had three sets of these and they all leaked in a heavy rain, especially in the crotch area. I don't like 'em.
I've had a couple frog-togs and have Darien pants. Under most conditions they are water proof but, I find all breathable materials leak in heavy rain over extended rides. I know, some people never seem to have this issue, but I do. With me it's always around the crotch area and butt. I think I understand why, I just don't know why it doesn't for everyone? Also my hands get soaked wearing gore-tex gloves and using heated grips. I keep a pair of rubberized pants for times I will be in heavy rain for extended times, otherwise I wear the Darien pants.

I'm just sayin the Froggies drowned here..

6.jpg

7.jpg

I have that, but who on earth can zip all the vents on one of these jackets shut whith only one gloved hand at speed...And then separate and close the velcro covers.
i do it just fine. put some long pulls on the zipper tabs.

My gear is waterproof, but if I don't put rain gear on over it, then I end up with gear that is soaked and most likely won't dry over-night.
odd. the various kinds i've had keep the water out instead of letting it soak through to a water resistant liner. maybe that's the difference.

I would much rather stop and do the rain gear dance than deal with wet/cold riding gear over a multi day trip. Besides, if I'm gonna close all the vents on my jacket, I have to stop to do it anyway.
odd again. not my experience on either issue.