Wax question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunkie

Reaction score
I have a question for a "friend".

You see this "friend" has an FJR and loves it!!! From time to time he has been known to both wash and wax his FJR against my advice as I have told him it runs much better dirty. Anyway, he is not always on his game and from time to time has gotten wax on unpainted black plastic parts of his FJR and now needs to know what to use to get it off. Being the good friend I am I said I would post a request for information.

I realize that most of you are so busy riding your Feejers to wash and wax them but if you were to wax your Feejer and got wax on the unpainted black plastic parts and was left with a white film that seemed not to rub off what would you use to cut the wax without hurting the painted parts? In theory of course!

All suggestions are welcome! My "friend" thanks you in advance!

WD40 or Armor All has worked for all my FRIENDS. Just dont use either on your tires or seats.

I'm a detail freak....I admit it.

Tell your "friend" to try "Back to Black" from McGuire's. Also, another secret I have for detailing is "No Touch" tire foam that can be had from Costco for a great price. It will also work very well when applied to a toothbrush and then those wax coated nooks and crannys. After washing, I spray the stuff on all the black plastic bits, engine, hoses, radiator, just not on the painted plastic finishes and definitely NOT the tires. Let it sit for a while then wipe down with a soft towel. When you spray it in the recesses of the engine and bottom end, it melts the dirt right off. McGuiar's Carnuba is what I use on the painted surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easiest way I've seen my *friends* do the same thing is Honda Spray Polish or Plexus. Takes the haze right away and makes future cleaning a snap... ;)

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
After a good washing, I use any number of the detail type waxes. Unlike the cars and bikes of yesteryear, painted surfaces that have a clear coat applied over them are not capable of absorbing wax. I use a cleaner type wax to give me the piece of mind I get when the painted surfaces feel smooth. I have a 2003 Ford f-250 diesel that gets washed and never any form of wax and it still looks great and it sits out in the Arizona sun 24/7, which can destroy anything. Clear coated surfaces generally only need washing.

I have a question for a "friend".
You can come out of the closet! It won't hurt, you will get abuse from many, but the Feejer will be much faster by getting rid of all that wind resistance. :clapping: :clapping:

I've used most of the ones already mentioned. But my latest is Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Polish. It does not leave a white film on anything! Removed the film from the black plastic on the side bags and they now look better than new. Seems to last a good length of time, and stuff seems to "roll" off the surface when washing better than others. A buddy of mine has been using it on his 'Wing for a long time.

Easiest way I've seen my *friends* do the same thing is Honda Spray Polish or Plexus. Takes the haze right away and makes future cleaning a snap... ;)
--G
Yep Honda polish does the trick or at least that's what my friend claims.

If you can't find HP look for Original Bike Spirits spray cleaner and polish.

It is the same stuff different label.

Sorry, but your "friend's" FJR should wear those white stains of shame until they go away by themselves. And let that be a lesson. :angry:

Riding beats waxing. What do you think, it's a Harley?

pete

I have no input or friends so I will man up and say that sometimes I wash my bike 2 or 3 times Between riding. It makes the Bike Happy and beings I have no Riding Skills I need to Look good at stop lights.

I hope that my admissions will help others who are ashamed to admit or are afraid to wash their bikes be more confident in the future.

Ok...I'll admit it. I'm a neat freak when it comes to my FJR. OCD for sure.

The cleaning products I use are these:

To start with...Turtle Wax ICE car wash. At least once a week if it needs it or not.

After every ride if the bike isn't that dirty is Turtle Wax ICE detail spray. If it's dirty, it gets a regular wash.

Once a week I wax it using Turtle Wax ICE liquid polish.

Once a month I clay bar the entire bike followed by a wax.

The windscreen gets Plexus after every ride.

Black Again for all the non-shiny plastic once a week.

The tires I hit with Turtle Wax ICE tire cleaner once a week.

And no...I don't sell Turtle Wax. But the nice thing about it is that it goes on very easy and comes off just as easy. No white streaks if you get it on the other plastic bits. Good paint protection.

Also, I've been known to put it on a lift so that I can get to the hard to reach parts with a Q-tip.

Yes...it's obsessive but after 11k miles the bike still looks showroom new with the exception of a small nick in the right headlight plastic where it was smacked by a rock at 80mph.

Why all the trouble? Because I simply like how it looks clean and after riding a chromed cruiser for years the old habits die hard. :D Some folks watch the TV on Sunday, do yardwork, go to church or whatever. Me? I clean my bike after the Sunday morning ride. Usually takes about 3 hours or so to go over it from end to end. Yeah...I'm sick like that. B)

I have no input or friends so I will man up and say that sometimes I wash my bike 2 or 3 times Between riding. It makes the Bike Happy and beings I have no Riding Skills I need to Look good at stop lights. I hope that my admissions will help others who are ashamed to admit or are afraid to wash their bikes be more confident in the future.
I'm with ya on that.

Today was TBS and wash day. The wind finally simmered to a stiff 25 kts, down from 40. Wind absolutely sucks!

Here's the wax result...

IMG_1073.jpg

Ok...I'll admit it. I'm a neat freak when it comes to my FJR. OCD for sure.
The cleaning products I use are these:

To start with...Turtle Wax ICE car wash. At least once a week if it needs it or not.

After every ride if the bike isn't that dirty is Turtle Wax ICE detail spray. If it's dirty, it gets a regular wash.

Once a week I wax it using Turtle Wax ICE liquid polish.

Once a month I clay bar the entire bike followed by a wax.

The windscreen gets Plexus after every ride.

Black Again for all the non-shiny plastic once a week.

The tires I hit with Turtle Wax ICE tire cleaner once a week.

And no...I don't sell Turtle Wax. But the nice thing about it is that it goes on very easy and comes off just as easy. No white streaks if you get it on the other plastic bits. Good paint protection.

Also, I've been known to put it on a lift so that I can get to the hard to reach parts with a Q-tip.

Yes...it's obsessive but after 11k miles the bike still looks showroom new with the exception of a small nick in the right headlight plastic where it was smacked by a rock at 80mph.

Why all the trouble? Because I simply like how it looks clean and after riding a chromed cruiser for years the old habits die hard. :D Some folks watch the TV on Sunday, do yardwork, go to church or whatever. Me? I clean my bike after the Sunday morning ride. Usually takes about 3 hours or so to go over it from end to end. Yeah...I'm sick like that. B)

Wow...I too like my bike clean, and will wax it every now and then, and regularly use McGuire's detail spray on it, but somebody quoted above needs to get a girlfriend.

A big "thank you" to all who replied. Great information! Though ashamed, I will come clean and admit that I have washed and waxed my Feejer. In fact more than once. Though I used a wax that stated it would not leave a white film, I do have a little white on the edges of the side bags in places and on the black textured pieces on the front.

I will try several of these suggestions myself and will pass this information on to my "friend". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the great info!

My wife and I typically chat while I'm cleaning the bike in the urban man-cave. We've found that time much better spent that way rather than having our brains turned to gelatinous goo watching the lobotomy-box.

My in-laws will spend HOURS in their yard on the weekends. I live in a townhouse specifically because I will never touch a yard implement again for as long as I live. Different strokes and all that.

Wow...I too like my bike clean, and will wax it every now and then, and regularly use McGuire's detail spray on it, but somebody quoted above needs to get a girlfriend.

Ok,I know some of you will read this and think WTF!

There is a little known product that works really well on all plastic or acrylic. It's called.................charcole lighter fluid. Not the good stuff,but use the cheap shit.

It can be used to clean grime and bugs off of painted surfaces as well, just don't let it set and soak on the paint. Actually you would have to let it set for a long time before it would do any damage to the paint.

I have been using it on all my vehicles and bike for yrs. with no ill effects.

Ok,I know some of you will read this and think WTF! There is a little known product that works really well on all plastic or acrylic. It's called.................charcole lighter fluid. Not the good stuff,but use the cheap shit.

It can be used to clean grime and bugs off of painted surfaces as well, just don't let it set and soak on the paint. Actually you would have to let it set for a long time before it would do any damage to the paint.

I have been using it on all my vehicles and bike for yrs. with no ill effects.
You might not believe this...but then again, maybe you will...this is California. Charcoal Lighter Fluid is actually banned from sale in many if not all areas in California! :dribble:

I have no input or friends so I will man up and say that sometimes I wash my bike 2 or 3 times Between riding. It makes the Bike Happy and beings I have no Riding Skills I need to Look good at stop lights. I hope that my admissions will help others who are ashamed to admit or are afraid to wash their bikes be more confident in the future.
I'm with ya on that.

Today was TBS and wash day. The wind finally simmered to a stiff 25 kts, down from 40. Wind absolutely sucks!

Here's the wax result...

IMG_1073.jpg
Damn. My bike has never. Ever. Been that clean.

Hi TS, you can ask your friend to use a soft brush (eg. toothbrush) to brush off the white wax left on the unpainted plastic parts. Hope this help,cheers