Wee strom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To those that say the Vstrom can't be ridden off road, I give you a link to the long running ADVriders thread: "Let's See Your Vstrom OFFROAD" Unfortunately a lot of the older pics have been removed so you might want to start on the last page and work backwards...

And from the current last page of that thread, here's a look at what Adventure Touring a 'strom looks like:

Yeah, you could probably ride your FJR (or some other street oriented bike) down most of those roads. But certainly not as easily, as quickly, nor as much funly.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah nuts. I never said I could not ride my Vstrom off road. I said I wasn't interesting in take the risk of riding it off road. In loose gravel and sand the front end stinks and the handle bars gently sway back and forth giving the impression of being 15% out of control 100% of the time. Something lighter would be more fun.

Hope my 2-cents are still timely.

I've owned a 2004 wee I bought new in 2004 and sold in 2007, and used for commuting in Chicago, as long the temp was above the upper-30's. Very sweet and dependable bike, the engine has very good mid-range torque, and I never felt it underpowered on my occasional jaunts on highways, and I would not hesitate in riding to Alaska if I could (one day...). The screen did a very decent job given its size. I'm 5'7" and ergonomics made it feel a tad too big for me. For someone used to the FJR clutch, the wee's clutch is like squeezing melted butter which, of course, is very important if you are using the biking for a 15-mile urban commute.

Cheers!

I just picked up a NOS 2012 DL-650 Adventure for an unbelievable price. Plan on using it mainly for a trip to Alaska this coming summer when I retire. I found that it is indeed easily flickable, light, and handles fairly well. After a couple days of riding it I realized that this bike is fun to ride. A lot more fun than I expected or realized from a few demo rides on friends bikes. It will not replace my 06 FJR with only 125,000 miles, barely broken in, but is a great stable mate. Now for the farkle time to begin.

You are way ahead on the farkle expense having bought the adventure 650. Those come with some nice cases and engine/drop protection off the showroom floor. There are still plenty of other must have trinkets to spend your retirement nest egg on, but that is a great choice for a trans-continental ride up to Alaska.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: