Weird 'hiccup'

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHHHHHH SO good to have her back! Besides the tires being a little low, she's purring like a kitten! The tranny has NEVER been smoother, not even on day ONE. All is forgiven with the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaelaria,

YAY! Thanks for sharing your good news. Going through experiences like this gives one the true meaning of why Patience is a Virture.

Many Happy Miles & Smiles to ya.

Just got back from putting on 300 miles - so far so good except for a faint smell of gas when idling - I'll check it out later, it night just be gunk from the shop.

How many of these cases are out there??? What years does the problem affect, has Yamaha done anything to correct the problem, what mileage does it occur?

Who knows, who knows, nope and mine was 10k. A buddy of mine on here just emailed me that he now has it to around the same millage, previous year bike.

Well where to begin. I guess by saying the faint gas smell wasn't my imagination nor was the faint ticking I heard the past hundred miles that I chalked up to paranoia.

I went in to Tampa this afternoon to Cigar Fest (which was awesome) and was enjoying the ride back, until I was about 25 miles from home and came to a light. When I slowed down and lifted the visor I could hear rod knock. The next light produced more knock and a slight squeal. I knew from experience with these motors the bottom end was going and fast. It got progressively worse and about 10 miles down the road it finally let loose. I grabbed the clutch anticipating the lockup and coasted to the first street turn off.

I and the service manager at the original dealer (which did NOT end up closing) both suspect the last dealer did not properly assemble the engine back. I know for a fact they reused the plain bearings, and judging from the cluster f@#k of a job they did on the transmission and other parts they broke, probably didn't even plastigauge them.

So after calling the original dealer and getting them to trailer the bike back, it's now getting torn down again. Un f'ing real.

Well where to begin. I guess by saying the faint gas smell wasn't my imagination nor was the faint ticking I heard the past hundred miles that I chalked up to paranoia.
I went in to Tampa this afternoon to Cigar Fest (which was awesome) and was enjoying the ride back, until I was about 25 miles from home and came to a light. When I slowed down and lifted the visor I could hear rod knock. The next light produced more knock and a slight squeal. I knew from experience with these motors the bottom end was going and fast. It got progressively worse and about 10 miles down the road it finally let loose. I grabbed the clutch anticipating the lockup and coasted to the first street turn off.

I and the service manager at the original dealer (which did NOT end up closing) both suspect the last dealer did not properly assemble the engine back. I know for a fact they reused the plain bearings, and judging from the cluster f@#k of a job they did on the transmission and other parts they broke, probably didn't even plastigauge them.

So after calling the original dealer and getting them to trailer the bike back, it's now getting torn down again. Un f'ing real.
I thought all is well with your engine/transmission and was glad for you to celebrate a happy ending...

makes me speechless :blink: , wishing you much luck!

After reading this friggin' horror story of dealer incompetence, I'd highly recommend you stay away from alcohol and firearms for awhile. Might print this entire thread out mail a copy to Yamaha and a second copy to the dealer fixing your bike so he'll know you're just on the verge of going (justifiably) postal. Best of luck and thanks for keeping all updated. Makes others worst dealer experiences, pale in comparison.

I had a long conversation with the GM of the dealer it's at now. He seemed to not be surprised by what happened and was very sorry they made me take it down there. Apparently Ride Now corporate told them out of the blue they were closing the store, but then just a few days later said they could downsize employees and try to make it - so they did. Come to find out the tech that worked on the bike isn't even a bike tech, but watercraft. No wonder he broke so much stuff and the guy said they had people waiting even longer than I did.

The GM already has the owner involved because this is going to turn in to a Yamaha complaint against the other dealer for negligence, and it's not going to be cheap. I'm anticipating it adding to my repair time unfortunately. No one is going to want to shell out several thousand dollars. Between the last visit and this one, they will have spent more than a new bike.

I sure hope the other dealer gets a beatin' and goes out of business. It would warm my heart for Christmas, it would!

I've got a RideNow dealer and they A) couldn't put a tire on the right direction. B) Balance said tire properly. C) Tighten the axle after putting the tire back on. D) Put the fairing on my 650 V-Strom on properly and E) Blamed the broken pieces on me when I turned right around and showed them the fairing.

All in one visit! I was.... impressed. They're now out of business. YAY!!!!

Me, I'm a vengeful bastard, so I would not mind my bike being down so much if it means that dealership is getting taken to the cleaners.

Well where to begin. ...was enjoying the ride back, until I was about 25 miles from home and came to a light. When I slowed down and lifted the visor I could hear rod knock. The next light produced more knock and a slight squeal. ...the bottom end was going and fast. It got progressively worse and about 10 miles down the road it finally let loose.

...suspect the last dealer did not properly assemble the engine back. I know for a fact they reused the plain bearings, and ... probably didn't even plastigauge them.

So after calling the original dealer and getting them to trailer the bike back, it's now getting torn down again.
I had a long conversation with the GM of the dealer it's at now. He seemed to not be surprised by what happened ...the tech ...isn't even a bike tech, ...he broke so much stuff The GM already has the owner involved ...turn in to a Yamaha complaint against the other dealer for negligence, ...adding to my repair time unfortunately.

...several thousand dollars. Between the last visit and this one, they will have spent more than a new bike.
Any up-date in the last 10 days on this 70-post, on-going, very sad/poor motorcycle repair episode...? :unsure: :(

Update:

Upon tear down, they found excessive Yamabond was used to reassemble the transmission, and bits had clogged multiple oil passages starting in the valve train. Basically a new engine and transmission in parts is on order.

Glad to hear they found the problem(s) and are fixing it instead of blaming you.

Thanks for the update and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Hard to blame me when every bearing in the engine is worn, all the intake valves are bent and all the pistons are damaged, plus bits of black silicone are plugging passages. Un freaking real. Like I said - in this economy with so many good people out of work, who's there? An untrained idiot.

Yamaha is getting a letter, I'm debating whether to send it before or after I get the bike back.

Yamaha is getting a letter, I'm debating whether to send it before or after I get the bike back.
I know you didn't ask for opinions on that, but I'd wait until after I got the bike back. Mostly so that all the facts, even the heretofor undiscoverd facts (e.g. "Whaddaya mean it's going to take another 3 months?!?"), are put on the table. Also, don't want to push any buttons while they have your baby, do ya?

You seem to be a much more patient person than me. Still rootin' for ya.

I'm the most impatient person you'll ever meet. This is KILLING ME. Those are the exact reasons I'm debating waiting.

How many of these cases are out there??? What years does the problem affect, has Yamaha done anything to correct the problem, what mileage does it occur?
I was warned long ago about the 2nd gear woes of the big bore Yammies when I bought an 84 FJ from the original owner back in '89. He had already put in a 2nd gear and I ended up putting another in it before I sold it. I know of a couple of late 80's / early 90's FZR's that also did the same thing with 2nd gears.

According to the Yamaha fanatics I know, it's been a known issue for years, but I've not heard much of a problem on any of the newer crop of FJR's. I've got 45k on mine and no issue. After that first replace I learned to keep pulling up on the shifter until the clutch is engaged and the transmission has seated into gear. That doesn't mean I put strong tension against the shifter when pulling up, don't want to cause undue wear, but just keep a slight tension until just after the clutch is engaged before letting off the shifter.

YMMV

I was thinking Yamaha had fixed this issue. I had this problem with my '99 R1. The dealer repaired the tranny 4 times under YES in 100,000 miles. On my '02 R1 I had no issues in 52,000 miles and so far with my '03 FJR I have had no issues in 82,000 hard miles.

Grady