Well feel like a huge idot...got the Yamaha Touring Shield today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRH08FJR

Reaction score
Noticed there was a sticker on it before I left the dealer which said something to the effect... "do not use gasoline or any solvents on the windshield to clean it, only soapy water". Well, I was in a hurry and didnt ask the dealer to take it off. You might imagine where this is now headed... In any case, trying to remove the sticker after getting home was a TOTAL disaster. It was stuck on with something resemling cement, no kidding!! It was coming off in very tiny pieces and after struggling with it and following the directions NOT to use any solvents on the shield, the winshield is now damaged with a huge spot where the sticker used to be. What freakin genius at Yamaha puts a sticker with adhesive on a winshield which is not supposed to have any solvent, gasoline etc used on it? I am pissed beyond belief! The worst part about it is that the sticker is supposed to warn you about how not to damage the stupid winshield and getting it off is what was the catalyst to damaging the stupid thing in the first place. I have no experience with Yamaha on things like this, but I feel like they should replace the windshield. Any thoughts on how to approach this with the dealer? JRH08FJR :angry2:

When I had mine I used a finger nail and it came of in tiny bits and without damage, but You could always have just left it on.

Unfortunately, your dealer is not responsible for your having damaged the screen.

This particular sticker would not come off with minimal effort. It took quite a bit of force to even budge this stupid sticker. Again, i ask, why put an adhesive sticker on a product which is not supposed to have solvents on it in the first place? You know, they make stickers which ... "cling"... and dont have adhesive on them. My thought is that this box had been sitting around in the warehouse for a long time and the conditions it was in possibly caused the sticker to bond to the shield in such a manner where it wouldnt come off as originally intended. What I should have done is demand that the dealer take it off themselves. I paid them $23 (1/2 hour labor) to put it on and it only took about five minutes. IMO, they should have removed the sticker themselves. JRH08FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Your confession on the forum is courageous and admirable, I just wish you posted this on Friday. :p

Some times you can use mineral spirits on things, it's less harsh; however, it can still damage certain plastics. I usually try a small area first, like where a bracket, etc, might hide the spot if it does damage and leaves a blemish.

It was a valuable learning experience, I bet you'll never do that again. :dribble:

I recently polished out some scratches on my helmet visor. Do a little research on google or go down to an automotive paint dealer, get their advice, and buy the necessary plastic polish products. You will probably need two or more abrasive levels to bring it back.

Inorganic compounds like citrus juice work wonders..

goo gone has been tossed at my shield to remove paint residue at least a dozen times.

Granted it does contain amounts of nasty shit, it hasn't ate my shield.................yet

:jester:

TI paid them $23 (1/2 hour labor) to put it on and it only took about five minutes. IMO, they should have removed the sticker themselves. JRH08FJR
Or maybe they knew it wouldn't come off.....

Sorry, man, things like this happen. Now follow the advice about how to buff it close to new. I've had luck polishing a few areas of my windshields BUT, like dustyrains said, please talk to someone knowledgeable about polish for plastic windshields....the wrong stuff will make it worse.

Your confession on the forum is courageous and admirable, I just wish you posted this on Friday. :p
I usually try a small area first, like my wiener.. :dribble:

Oh for shitsakes Simon! Can't you for once talk about something besides that spike of your's??

Yer startin' to worry me.

Unless you were using some sort of tool to remove the sticker, it may just be glue residue making it look bad. I've successfully used "Goof Off" on plastics but cannot comment on it's effect on the windscreen.

I'd have to bet they used a water soluble adhesive that a soaking with wet rags would have softened right up. :unsure:

That said, I've had good luck restoring the plastic headlight lenses on my ten year old car with the 3M product made for that. You can get the kit at most auto parts stores.

It has instructions too.

Way too much good stuff happening on non-Fridays lately.

My favourite solvent for adhesive residues is naptha (camp stove fuel, lighter fluid). It doesn't evaporate too quickly and doesn't seem to harm any materials I have used it on including windshields...... a heat gun might have helped too.

In any case, you may have a hazing that you might be able to remove with Novus #2 polish for plastics. It has an abrasive in it, just follow the directions and you'll likely do fine. Available at bike shops.

Your plexiglass windshield mess can be polished to a gloss just like the rest of the surface. However, you'll have some slight distortion due to removing a layer of melted plastic. I fixed my damaged headlights starting with 100 grit sandpaper and moving all the way up to 2000 grit then onto buffing compound. I did it all by hand, but a buffer would have been helpful.

Sorry this happened, but sometimes you have to take resposibility for your actions.

Seems the best route is the suggested polishing of the damage.

Good luck.

Noticed there was a sticker on it before I left the dealer which said something to the effect... "do not use gasoline or any solvents on the windshield to clean it, only soapy water". Well, I was in a hurry and didnt ask the dealer to take it off. You might imagine where this is now headed... In any case, trying to remove the sticker after getting home was a TOTAL disaster. It was stuck on with something resemling cement, no kidding!! It was coming off in very tiny pieces and after struggling with it and following the directions NOT to use any solvents on the shield, the winshield is now damaged with a huge spot where the sticker used to be. What freakin genius at Yamaha puts a sticker with adhesive on a winshield which is not supposed to have any solvent, gasoline etc used on it? I am pissed beyond belief! The worst part about it is that the sticker is supposed to warn you about how not to damage the stupid winshield and getting it off is what was the catalyst to damaging the stupid thing in the first place. I have no experience with Yamaha on things like this, but I feel like they should replace the windshield. Any thoughts on how to approach this with the dealer? JRH08FJR :angry2:
If it's just glue left the best thing I have found is Simple Green. Squirt alittle bit on a soft rag and work the crap off. If you scratched it beyond repair then ride a 1000 miles in 24 hours and smack an Iron Butt sticker over that area

uhh, i am willing to take responsibility for my own actions and for the record, i dont blame the dealer. i do however, have a problem with Yamaha, the mfg. it's quite ironic that they would put a sticker on the shield which bonded like cement to the windshield over the time that it was stored in the box and the sticker says "dont use solvents or gasoline to clean the windshield". Well, hello, dont put a damn adhesive on the windshield in the first place then!!!! Also, there was something different going on here, the sticker was bonded so strong that it took almost digging at it to remove it in the smallest of pieces (even with warm soapy water). If this thing is that damn ticky and takes so much experience to remove, it shouldnt have been put on there in the first place or the dealer should have been instructed by Yamaha to remove it (i paid the dealer to install the shield anyway).

Inorganic compounds like citrus juice work wonders.. goo gone has been tossed at my shield to remove paint residue at least a dozen times.

Granted it does contain amounts of nasty shit, it hasn't ate my shield.................yet

Much as I hate agreeing with Bust, also don't mind agreeing with FJRGuy: Either "Goo Gone" or "Goof Off" compounds from hardware store works great on stickers.

The stickiest, nastiest sticker cement/glue in the entire world is used by Goverment of Mexico for their Vehicle Import Permit Stickers. I don't know if they use fighting bull cum or iquana snot to make this messy shit, but getting the Ca-Ca residue from MEX Vehiculos Carta off shield without either Goo Gone or Goof Off es Imposible!