Well feel like a huge idot...got the Yamaha Touring Shield today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got half of my sticker off after tryng everthing I could try (including heat) without using gasoline or other toxic solvents. I even soaked rags and left them over night. That damn sticker will not come off. Using my fingernail only make small scratches. I finaly said to hell with it. If I can ride and ignore splatted bugs I can certainly ignore a sticker in the right corner. Maybe time and riding in the rain will take it off.

I did bitch to my service rep. He said I am not the first person to complain. They have not been able to take them off either. If Yamaha could make the bike as industructable as the sticker it would be great.

BH60

I got half of my sticker off after tryng everthing I could try (including heat) without using gasoline or other toxic solvents. I even soaked rags and left them over night. That damn sticker will not come off. Using my fingernail only make small scratches. I finaly said to hell with it. If I can ride and ignore splatted bugs I can certainly ignore a sticker in the right corner. Maybe time and riding in the rain will take it off.
I did bitch to my service rep. He said I am not the first person to complain. They have not been able to take them off either. If Yamaha could make the bike as industructable as the sticker it would be great.

BH60
In the past (stupid safety stickers on tank etc!) I have used a heat gun (carefully), a hair dryer doesn't get quite hot enough but you must be careful and believe it not Brake Clean? Who'd a thunk! After using heat to get rid of most of the sticker I used the Brake Clean sprayed onto a soft cloth to remove the glue? Of course try the solvent in an inconspicuous place first!

You DO realize you're screwed, right?

Best be careful out there - the Sticker Police are gonna put out an APB on ya.

And the Sticker Police are not very pleasant - they weren't good enough to get into the Mattress Tag Police, and they're a wee bit bitter about that.

Noticed there was a sticker on it before I left the dealer which said something to the effect... "do not use gasoline or any solvents on the windshield to clean it, only soapy water".
Huh :huh: ?, interesting.. when I received my FJR Touring windshield from a parts house it said AHAMAY? I thought it looked funny, but I decided to leave it. I can attest to the fact that neither soap nor water will remove it!

Inorganic compounds like citrus juice work wonders.. goo gone has been tossed at my shield to remove paint residue at least a dozen times.

:jester:
Hey, Bust! Where can I get some of that inorganic citrus juice?

I going to have to hire a proof reader ain't I.. :****:

Ya have to buy it where they sell orgasms. ;)

I don't know, so don't ask me.. Dikchin Stanley buys 'em for his Burro harem. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hairdryer or heat gun works best - just don't melt the plastic.

Citrus cleaner wil remove the excess goo.

By the way it is ORGANIC!! and FLAMMABLE!!

(d-limonene ,citral, decylaldehyde, methyl anthranilate, linalool, and terpineol)

works well on plastic

Inorganic compounds like citrus juice work wonders.. goo gone has been tossed at my shield to remove paint residue at least a dozen times.

I don't know, so don't ask me.. Dikchin Stanley buys 'em for his Burro harem. B)

El Cajone: You can get it in the tiny Mexican village of Choix, deep in the bottom of Mexico's Copper Canyon-Parque Nacional Barranca del Cobre; Chihuahua Estado.

That's why ShinyPartsUp and Papa Chuy are riding there this November. We'll bring you back a liter; serves as an aphrodisiac for gila monsters, javelina, sheep, chuckawallas, armadillos, goats (both pygmy & standard goats, SPU is a switch hitter; just ask FJRay!) and burros too. Sending a bottle on to Bustanut joker, also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your confession on the forum is courageous and admirable, I just wish you posted this on Friday. :p I usually try a small area first, like my wiener.. :dribble:
Oh for shitsakes Simon! Can't you for once talk about something besides that spike of your's??Yer startin' to worry me.

I don't believe I said that..... In fact I know I didn't say that..... Did I??? :dribble:

El Cajone: You can get it in the tiny Mexican village of Choix, deep in the bottom of Mexico's Copper Canyon-Parque Nacional Barranca del Cobre; Chihuahua Estado.

That's why ShinyPartsUp and Papa Chuy are riding there this November. We'll bring you back a liter; serves as an aphrodisiac for gila monsters, javelina, sheep, chuckawallas, armadillos, goats (both pygmy & standard goats, SPU is a switch hitter; just ask FJRay!) and burros too. Sending a bottle on to Bustanut joker, also.

:hyper: :heart: :dance:

I just can't wait to try me some of that stuf!! Is it November yet?

Not to quibble, but was idiot misspelled in the thread's title to demonstrate the level of self-flagellation?

uhh, i am willing to take responsibility for my own actions and for the record, i dont blame the dealer. i do however, have a problem with Yamaha, the mfg. it's quite ironic that they would put a sticker on the shield which bonded like cement to the windshield over the time that it was stored in the box and the sticker says "dont use solvents or gasoline to clean the windshield". Well, hello, dont put a damn adhesive on the windshield in the first place then!!!! Also, there was something different going on here, the sticker was bonded so strong that it took almost digging at it to remove it in the smallest of pieces (even with warm soapy water). If this thing is that damn ticky and takes so much experience to remove, it shouldnt have been put on there in the first place or the dealer should have been instructed by Yamaha to remove it (i paid the dealer to install the shield anyway).
When I bought my Yamaha Touring shield for the GenII, I had looked closely at it one day and found a National Cycle emblem in the plastic. I assume that Yamaha had National Cycle manufacture the Touring shields. I can't remember where it was located and don't have the shield anymore. Check on yours to see.

I know it is sold as Yamaha product, maybe they're not totally to blame for the label being so hard to remove.

Not to quibble, but was idiot misspelled in the thread's title to demonstrate the level of self-flagellation?
This is officially the best post in this topic. Good job, now carry on there is nothing to see here.
Not even a picture of a bottle of inorganic citrus juice? Bust is going to be so damn disappointed! I can't believe you'd abuse Bustanut this way, especially on Friday!

My windshield sticker was also affixed with something resembling epoxy........after slowly scraping it off with a wooden skewer I cleaned the area with lighter fluid.......lighter fluid will not hurt your windshield.......all is good.