Well feel like a huge idot...got the Yamaha Touring Shield today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For everyone's future use and benefit, I'll echo dustyrains - WD-40 is also a remarkably good "dissolver" of every adhesive that I have ever used it on. I discovered this quite by accident when moving 3 years ago.

A box, on top of the one containing the WD, sagged enough in the middle to actuate the valve and empty some of the contents onto its lid from the inside. When unloading, it became clear what had happened, and the tape closing the box had ZERO adhesion remaining!

Just break open the edge of the decal (or whatever) a tiny bit with a fingernail as others have described, give it a shot and let it sit. It does need some time to do its thing. Give it a while and peel up a bit more of an opening - repeat as needed. Clean, scratch-free and sticker will be gone... A bit of soap and water will readily break down the bit of oily residue that remains when you're done!

I've now used it on metal and several plastic surfaces - both painted, and unpainted, injection-moulded items. Works like a charm! It just needs some soak time.

Also, as dustyrains said, YMMV. I've not personally used it on polycarbonate like a windshield, so do a small test spot as others have also suggested.

Just last week I used it to take the undesirably large Logo, and a couple of other stubborn stickers, off of my new helmet! It was an absolute breeze!! Just be a bit patient...

Scott

pssstttt... Just picked up my new Feejer ('09) this aft. What an Awesome Ride!!! I'll never, ever, ever regret this decision!!!

Only problem so far are the sore cheeks, from the continuous ear-to-ear grins that Rocketship mode instantly engages upon every re-entry!!!

WD40 also is great at dissolving crayon markings....off of walls, floors, glass, and anything else our two-year old decides to become artistic on. She's got a crayon radar and can find one anywhere.

I used my wife's hair dryer on mine. Heated that sucker up to the point I was pretty concerned, but the sticker then came off without too much trouble and without solvents.

For everyone's future use and benefit, I'll echo dustyrains - WD-40 is also a remarkably good "dissolver" of every adhesive that I have ever used it on. I discovered this quite by accident when moving 3 years ago.
A box, on top of the one containing the WD, sagged enough in the middle to actuate the valve and empty some of the contents onto its lid from the inside. When unloading, it became clear what had happened, and the tape closing the box had ZERO adhesion remaining!

Just break open the edge of the decal (or whatever) a tiny bit with a fingernail as others have described, give it a shot and let it sit. It does need some time to do its thing. Give it a while and peel up a bit more of an opening - repeat as needed. Clean, scratch-free and sticker will be gone... A bit of soap and water will readily break down the bit of oily residue that remains when you're done!

I've now used it on metal and several plastic surfaces - both painted, and unpainted, injection-moulded items. Works like a charm! It just needs some soak time.

Also, as dustyrains said, YMMV. I've not personally used it on polycarbonate like a windshield, so do a small test spot as others have also suggested.

Just last week I used it to take the undesirably large Logo, and a couple of other stubborn stickers, off of my new helmet! It was an absolute breeze!! Just be a bit patient...

Scott

pssstttt... Just picked up my new Feejer ('09) this aft. What an Awesome Ride!!! I'll never, ever, ever regret this decision!!!

Only problem so far are the sore cheeks, from the continuous ear-to-ear grins that Rocketship mode instantly engages upon every re-entry!!!
WD 40 also works great on tree sap. And if you got little chillun that went to sleep with gum in their mouth and woke with it in their hair it works for that too. It is not a good cooking spray however.

And DON'T USE GOOGONE either. Ask me how I know I dare ya. :rolleyes:

How you know?

Guessing you did not know there are TWO types of Goo Gone.

One is amber colored liquid in a plastic bottle with a black label that says "citrus power" at the bottom. This is safe to use on most plastics. I used it to remove tape gum off a Pexifairing after I cut it down. Worked like a charm and did not do diddly to the finish of the plastic.

The 2nd one comes in a metal container (should be a warning right there) and says Goo Gone Xtreme Remover on a red and black label. This one will remove paint, varnish, shelac and disolve plastic.... under no circumstances would I use this on plastic.

Guessing also this info is too late.... :rolleyes:

KM

I've switched to "PB Blaster". It does better than WD40.

Add enought heat to help soften the glue, but not so much that the plastic of the lable pulls apart.

Fred