Westside Motorsports, Spokane, WA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spokane

Reaction score
I called Westside Motorsports In Spokane ,WA today with the Yamaha recall notice (ignition switch) in my hand and was told my Mike in the service dept.

That my 2006 a model was not part of the recall and just keep riding but if I wanted the repair made it would be at my cost . I then called Valley Yamaha and was told that all FJR's 06-08 were part of the recall and that I was the 5th person that was told by Westside not to worry about it.

As I understand it Dealers are required by law to take the necessary corrective action.

Maybe I need to contact the Federal Trade Commision and the State Attorney General's office.

I have a real concern that there are ignorant or illiterate service managers telling customers bad information that could put their lives in danger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the way of the world.

Have Valley make sure all the recalls are done. There were a couple more [ECU, travel trunk {if you have one}, etc.]that should be completed if they had not already been done on your "06".

Have 37,000 on my "06" and it still makes me smile every time I get on it.

Just the way of the world.
Have Valley make sure all the recalls are done. There were a couple more [ECU, travel trunk {if you have one}, etc.]that should be completed if they had not already been done on your "06".

Have 37,000 on my "06" and it still makes me smile every time I get on it.

Thanks Niehart, Valley told me about the trunk and ECU.

Is the ECU something I should do if the bike runs well?

Yes, get 'er done. My bike ran great until the top of Chinook pass and all of a sudden it was cutting out on the twisties. Not good. Didn't know at the time that all I had to do to reset the altitude sampling was crank the throttle, but a hairpin turn isn't the best place for that type work around. Better to just get it done...it's painless if the bike is in the shop anyway.

Thanks for the info about Westside... I'm not terribly surprised!

The good news is that Valley Yamaha is only about 6 blocks from my house and I finally have some time off this next week. Think I'll give them a call to set up an appointment.

Will they order the parts for the ignition recall without having the bike like so many other dealers seem to "require"?

I'll have them check my VIN to see if the ECU recall has been done at the same time

Don

Many dealers have the part(s) in stock as they must change out the new bikes. Mine is an 06 and I got the notice in the mail.

I have already got the trunk base changed out. I kept the ECU because I have no problems and am afraid to change a good running bike.

Is the ECU something I should do if the bike runs well?
Yes. Mine ran well also, but it took care of the stumble that occurs off clsoed thottle and boosts the mid range some. Mine is running better. Of course your experience may differ.

I have an 06A also, and yes it is included in the recall. Mine was done last weekend.

Gee.. I hope someone at Yamaha sees this post, and corrects Westside Motorsports - they're placing riders in danger by doing that.

AuburnFJR,

Who are you using? The folks in Renton gave me a hard time on the ECU so I ended up going to the 190 Motorsports who took great care of me. They ordered in advance without the bike and setup the appointment. Renton wanted the bike first and intended to keep it.

I have an '06 and they are all included in the recall. Took mine to Greater Yamaha in West Palm Beach, FL and they returned the bike with 2 new keys!

I told them that the recall did not have to change the key. They said that was true but they decided to give me a new "FREE" key mechanism!

I guess it pays off when you take care of the guys who takes care of your bike. I put a $20 bill in the hand of anybody who touches my bike!

That also works very well with:

Favorite Bartender

Favorite Barber

Favorite Waitress

Favotite Car Mechanic

It's good to see a big smile on their face when you walk in the door. Life is Good.

Cycle Barn in Smokey Point (North of Seattle) has taken very good care of my '06. They ordered the warranty parts for all three issues then called me when they were in to set up an appointment to do the work. Said they would only need the bike for one day.

Last time I had it there for the fuel mileage gauge issue they performed the work quickly and even washed the bike! Give them a try in you are anywhere near.

AuburnFJR,
Who are you using? The folks in Renton gave me a hard time on the ECU so I ended up going to the 190 Motorsports who took great care of me. They ordered in advance without the bike and setup the appointment. Renton wanted the bike first and intended to keep it.

I went to Brothers Powersports in Bremerton where I bought it. The service manager is Mike Velasco, he is a legend in the road racing circles. The mechanic that is doing hte switches is Tim, he has worked with Mike for about 15 years now and is top notch. Talk to Nick and he will get the switch ordered and then set up a Saturday ride in for you. Took Tim about an hour for them to do the switch and the ECU.

Another note about Westside, I tried to get them to do my trunk recall for my 06' last summer. I guy in the service department asked me if I'd bought my bike there and I said no, I bought it used in Seattle, he then said I had to put down a $200 deposit before they would order the recall kit and it would take a while before they got to my bike "because they take care of their own customers first". I'm not sure who it was though. He said they had too many people wanting recalls done, they order the parts and never return and Westside is stuck with the bill.

I should have written down his name and made Yamaha (or at least the ownership of the dealer) aware of it, but I didn't. I ended up calling University in Fargo to help me out.

I'll never deal with them again.

Another note about Westside, I tried to get them to do my trunk recall for my 06' last summer. I guy in the service department asked me if I'd bought my bike there and I said no, I bought it used in Seattle, he then said I had to put down a $200 deposit before they would order the recall kit and it would take a while before they got to my bike "because they take care of their own customers first". I'm not sure who it was though. He said they had too many people wanting recalls done, they order the parts and never return and Westside is stuck with the bill.
I should have written down his name and made Yamaha (or at least the ownership of the dealer) aware of it, but I didn't. I ended up calling University in Fargo to help me out.

I'll never deal with them again.

I called Westside Motorsports In Spokane ,WA today with the Yamaha recall notice (ignition switch) in my hand and was told my Mike in the service dept.

That my 2006 a model was not part of the recall and just keep riding. I then called Valley Yamaha and was told that all FJR's 06-08 were part of the recall and that I was the 5th person that was told by Westside not to worry about it. Just keep riding and if I wanted the switch replaced I would have to pay for it.

I have a real concern that there are ignorant or illiterate service managers telling customers bad information!!

You should have just presented your recall letter to Westside.......they probably didn't want to do it because it can take some dealers 1.5 to 2.0 hours to do the swap and they are only getting paid for 1.0 which is the actual time it should take to do the job. And also point out to them in the letter, you get to use your old key as they have to reuse the original tumblers in the switch which takes the most time to complete the job right. PM. <>< :D

Thx Auburn...I think I may just do that. If I plan right and catch a good day, I build a good ride around it. See you in a couple of weeks.

I called Westside Motorsports In Spokane ,WA today with the Yamaha recall notice (ignition switch) in my hand and was told my Mike in the service dept.That my 2006 a model was not part of the recall and just keep riding. I then called Valley Yamaha and was told that all FJR's 06-08 were part of the recall and that I was the 5th person that was told by Westside not to worry about it.

I have a real concern that there are ignorant or illiterate service managers telling customers bad information!!

I have an '06 and they are all included in the recall. Took mine to Greater Yamaha in West Palm Beach, FL and they returned the bike with 2 new keys!
I told them that the recall did not have to change the key. They said that was true but they decided to give me a new "FREE" key mechanism!
What exactly does that mean?

They changed out your old cylinder (so you would have the same key as usual) and gave you the new cylinder and two keys (that came with the recall kit) that they usually throw away?

Last edited by a moderator: