WFO-9 Area Roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longrider

Reaction score
Looking at a possible trip from WFO-9 up Highway 199 to Cave Junction and then to Oregon Caves NM. Does anyone have any info on the road past the Monument to Medford? Highway 46 over to Highway 238 is the route I'm talking about.

My interest is in road surface and condition. Looks like a lot of fun type road and very scenic.

Many Thanks,

Longrider

Looking at a possible trip from WFO-9 up Highway 199 to Cave Junction and then to Oregon Caves NM. Does anyone have any info on the road past the Monument to Medford? Highway 46 over to Highway 238 is the route I'm talking about.
My interest is in road surface and condition. Looks like a lot of fun type road and very scenic.

Many Thanks,

Longrider
Yes, when I get time I'll give details as well as post some pictures. Will you be using a GPS, as I marked waypoints to share with other riders. It is a hidden secret and you have to promise not to tell anyone of the fun you have on this route.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can hardly make a cell phone work to call home so GPS is too much for my tired old brain. Now maps, dirt, gravel, fun and FJR's is about all I can work at now.

Any i information you have would be greatly appreciated, possible to the tune of a beer at Eureka.

Longrider

I can hardly make a cell phone work to call home so GPS is too much for my tired old brain. Now maps, dirt, gravel, fun and FJR's is about all I can work at now.
Any i information you have would be greatly appreciated, possible to the tune of a beer at Eureka.
LOL funny. OK, we'll do this old-skewl ...but pay very close attention, your fun may depend on it. BTW, the road you will be on is referred to as Grayback road.

Before I get into the step-by-step, please realize this is a proven methodology and is not to be shared with anyone. It is so good, it must be kept a secret.

1.) You will want to start in Cave Junction, even though this might add a few miles to your journey .....It is IMPERATIVE that you get a bite to eat at Taylor's Sausage. This is the best grub on the west coast -and the best sausage on planet earth:

0906GraceOregon%20(7).JPG

2.) You then will aim for Oregon Caves ....and take the 46 turn of that you mentioned Rather than staying on 46, you'll want to take the loop into Holland and stop at the store. You know you're close when you hear old Neil Young songs being played out of a circa 1970 stereo.

0906GraceOregon%20(6).JPG

..then continue on and youll end up back on 46

3.) . BTW, it is "Grayback" road that you'll want to be on..

It will go through some relatively lush forest and you'll go across some small bridges over streams like this one:

0906GraceOregon%20(4).JPG

4.) Nice road, dirt but it'll be in good shape ....and it is beautiful, gorgeous, stunning, tranquil, inspirational and just downright groovy as you gain in elevation and wind your way up through the switchbacks -with many spots to look out from high elevation over planet earth. I will resist the temptation to show you pics here as not to spoil your fun.

5.) There are some logging road spurs off of this, and possible to get a bit off course ...but don't let that worry you as common sense will keep you going the right way, and any mistake is easily corrected without dire consequences.

6.) Make your way to Williams, then Applegate then head into Jackson ....or if you're looking to go north, toward Grants Pass. Either way these are nice rural roads -and no reason to rush, just take in the sites of lush small farms and a few dairies --even a few wineries.

Here is a map, print it, put it in your safe and after you're done, eat it ...or at least burn it and bury the ashes.

100325graybackRd.GIF

...enjoy, and remember, this is for you only ....do not share with anyone.

Got it and it looks even better than I thought.

By the way I must get better tasting paper. Chewed easy, but tasted like a Big mac.

See you in Eureka.

Longrider

Got it and it looks even better than I thought.
By the way I must get better tasting paper. Chewed easy, but tasted like a Big mac.
Yes, up top is really spectacular and I believe this fun excursion will surpass you expectations. If you have any other questions on the area, ..let me know, and just like this time, I'll likely over-achieve in the form of golden-information.

-thanks for destroying the map, these are the kind of secrets that must not get out to the common folk.

enjoy grayback road, something few know of.

There is a road that runs from 199 about 7 miles west of Cave Juntion over the hill into Kalifornee, down into Happy Camp. I belive that is also called Gray Back. Tremendus road, the first 15 miles are up hill, and very twisty.

If you are coming up I5, then you can take 96 to Happy Camp. Then go north to Cave Junction, great road for bikes, very twisty with lots of scenery. From there, take the suggested route. Sounds like a great ride.

The little county roads from 199 at Obrian in Oregon to 96 at Happy Camp is a wonderful little old road,

paved but rough in spots, you may even find some snow on the northslope. Watch out for them

Bigfoots in this area, they are rampant and wild!

FWFE