What are the Surprises Under the Covers on the Honda site?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as of 3 a.m. Central time, the covers came off. If anyone was expecting Honda to step up with a counter punch to the 2013 FJR or the Triumph Trophy, they did not.

They have an alternate version of the GoldWing that looks like they are competing with a Harley Street Glide. Ugly!

The most interesting new bike is a modern UJM, the CB1100.

Not that anyone here was worried, but it looks like Honda is not going to try to compete with the new FJR. They don't even list a '13 model for the ST1300. The 2012 model even with almost no changes since '03 lists at almost $19K! What a bargain!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am disappointed with the new Hondas. One looks like a chopped gold wing. I cannot understand why the windshield was chopped. The 600rr looks like it has face-lift that did not work. However, the 500s lower prices may give some competition to Kawasaki's 650s.

Very disappointing. Once again Honda seems to think there`s no sport touring market. Shoulda brought back the Rune or the Valk instead of that fugly GL.

Remind me of the Leafs....... no winner here!

Go Wings!

Oh wait, what hockey......

I doubt many here really care. You might try a honda friendly forum :glare:
Really? In the first half page of this forum I see posts about Suzukis, BMWs, and Kawasakis? What did I miss? I'm pretty sure this is not a Yamaha only forum. I currently own an FZ1 and FZ6 as my only bikes

Is this forum friendly to all except Hondas? Geez.
FZ1 huh? I owned two of those. Tell me though, what happens on the FZ1 forums when someone pops in there and says "Hey, what do you guys think of the Z1000 or Bandit 1000, I'm thinking of getting one?"

This thread here has gone way nicer than I've seen those go.

Oh, and when did you sit on that FJR at the show? If it was after 3pm on Saturday, you should know that you were getting my sloppy seconds. :lol:

DSCN0556.jpg

Really? In the first half page of this forum I see posts about Suzukis, BMWs, and Kawasakis? What did I miss? I'm pretty sure this is not a Yamaha only forum. I currently own an FZ1 and FZ6 as my only bikes

FZ1 huh? I owned two of those. Tell me though, what happens on the FZ1 forums when someone pops in there and says "Hey, what do you guys think of the Z1000 or Bandit 1000, I'm thinking of getting one?"

This thread here has gone way nicer than I've seen those go.

Oh, and when did you sit on that FJR at the show? If it was after 3pm on Saturday, you should know that you were getting my sloppy seconds. :lol:

DSCN0556.jpg
Jasen: what dealership was that?

As far as Hondas go...if I were to get one it would be a VFR. IMHO theyre a nice bike. 100+ lbs lighter than the feejer, although Im not sure on long distances they'd be any better. They sit sportier and lower, but limited space. No way I'd get an ST. Too fekkin heavy and too bland. IMHO of course.

Good one, Fed. Once ya deflected the first wave, you got em chewing on each other. Best part about the dogpiles around here. You da man. Now that ya survived yer initiation, welcome to the forum. Interesting thing about Honda. As far back as 73, Honda was making bikes that didn't make a lot of sense (as did many other manufactures... remember the Suzuki rotary?). The 350 four cylinder comes to mind. Honda already had a great 350. Why the four cylinder? It was too heavy and too expensive, so.. .Why? Because they CAN. And they've been doing it ever since. Honda has some very deep pockets, and unlike companies like Suzuki, they can afford to tread water in a slow market, or come up with exercises in technology that don't make sense... or don't sell well. Remember the Rune? Why not look at it this way... just sit back and enjoy the show. Who knows, one day in the future, somebody might just make a better FJR than Mama Yamma. And when they do, either Yammie will step up to the plate, or we'll all have another possibility on the auction block.

But for now, my FJR rocks.

Gary

darksider #44

Good one, Fed. Once ya deflected the first wave, you got em chewing on each other. Best part about the dogpiles around here. You da man. Now that ya survived yer initiation, welcome to the forum. Interesting thing about Honda. As far back as 73, Honda was making bikes that didn't make a lot of sense (as did many other manufactures... remember the Suzuki rotary?). The 350 four cylinder comes to mind. Honda already had a great 350. Why the four cylinder? It was too heavy and too expensive, so.. .Why? Because they CAN. And they've been doing it ever since. Honda has some very deep pockets, and unlike companies like Suzuki, they can afford to tread water in a slow market, or come up with exercises in technology that don't make sense... or don't sell well. Remember the Rune? Why not look at it this way... just sit back and enjoy the show. Who knows, one day in the future, somebody might just make a better FJR than Mama Yamma. And when they do, either Yammie will step up to the plate, or we'll all have another possibility on the auction block.

But for now, my FJR rocks.

Gary

darksider #44
Ha, thanks. Yeah, I should have been a troll--I'm pretty good at it! And I get the point about having an FJR and "adding" to it as making it a different question here. Thought the FZ6 and FZ1 would get me some SLACK, but I guess not.... :lol: And I should have been clearer on my two questions. NOTHING beats the 2013 FJR in my opinion right now as an ST, and that's having never ridden one. Actually rode a Gen 1 (I think) before buying my ST1300. My question was really about what new sport bikes might Honda be bringing out.

Now that they're out-meh. I want to like that F6B, but it looks like an afterthought. Maybe the 500s will do well for the budget or torque conscious moving from a 250.

I did sit on the 2013 in Dallas. They couldn't find the key for awhile so I didn't get to see the bags, under the seat, etc. Like I'd like. Maybe I can redeem myself for a bad early post by adding some value. Here is a quick walk around vid I took at the show, if my Photobucket link works:

Fed, congrats on being a good sport. Now, you will do fine here. Like I said earlier, if you can get past the sarcasm, this is an unparalleled source of information. Everything I have ever needed to know has been here. All that plus great entertainment, what's not to love? :)

I could go on for a week comparing the ST and the FJR (Gen2) but it would not help. You really have to ride the damned FJR. Once you ride it, all the little questions that seemed so important before will not matter. The ST1300 is a great but overweight outdated bike. The FJR is, well, just go ride one. Then I will not have to explain.

If you can't find a 2013 at your local dealerships, see if they have a 2011 or 2012 on the floor. Under seat and bags are the same as the 2013 from what I understand and have seen so far. I know Motion Cyclesports has both a 2011 and 2012 sitting on the floor as of the weekend before last.

Honda has really lost their way. A 'wing with no windshield, according to their website "perfect for around-town, shorter trips, or even a weekend getaway,"....

Yeah, nothing funner for running an errand in town than a six-cylinder monster that weighs as much as a small car...

2013_GoldWingF6B.jpg

Honda has really lost their way. A 'wing with no windshield, according to their website "perfect for around-town, shorter trips, or even a weekend getaway,"....

Yeah, nothing funner for running an errand in town than a six-cylinder monster that weighs as much as a small car...

2013_GoldWingF6B.jpg
You know, I agree. But look at all the people that buy expensive, overweight, and unlike the Honda, underpowered Harleys. Still, to those that buy them a Honda ain't no Harley.

2013_GoldWingF6B.jpg
I think it looks kinda kewl. No way in hell i woould buy one new, But it's probably fun to ride.

2013_GoldWingF6B.jpg
I want to run around town on this? What are the marketing guys at Honda smoking?

Good grief that sure is one ugly bike. The swoopy saddle bags remind me of the Victory Vision. The lack of a wind screen gives it a squat look. Heck if that bike was any uglier an admin would remove the photo from this wonderful forum.