What color helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Looking at another new helmet (for summer), this time the Suomy Spec 1R. Solids retail for $429.00

Should I try to color coordinate, or go with white, which should be a cooler lid in the sun with the added benefit of making me look more like an approaching LEO in the cagers' mirrors? :agent:

The Suomy feels real nice, but I'm afraid it would vent too well in the winter. :cold:

suomy_spec1r_hlmt_wh.gif
suomy_spec1r_hlmt_anthra.gif
suomy_spec1r_hlmt_sil.gif

Looking at another new helmet (for summer), this time the Suomy Spec 1R. Solids retail for $429.00
Should I try to color coordinate, or go with white, which should be a cooler lid in the sun with the added benefit of making me look more like an approaching LEO in the cagers' mirrors? :agent:

The Suomy feels real nice, but I'm afraid it would vent too well in the winter. :cold:

suomy_spec1r_hlmt_wh.gif
suomy_spec1r_hlmt_anthra.gif
suomy_spec1r_hlmt_sil.gif
White, Toe. One of the most visible colors. (or lack therof ? )

A New Zealand safety study last year reported white helmets cut down on accidents as they are seen better than colors or patterns.

Having said that, IMHO, they are the ugliest things put on God's earth. :) YMMV

Stay away from black. It'll bake your brain like an Idahoian spud. Don't ask me how I know this. Then again, it prolly shows. :blink:

Stay away from black. It'll bake your brain like an Idahoian spud. Don't ask me how I know this. Then again, it prolly shows. :blink:
+1 on the no black. BTDT, won't do that again. White is ok, just kinda plain. If you like the LEO effect, go for it, but a lot of times I get that with the silver helmet and black jacket anyway.

IMO, white is the best choice. One of the biggest excuses of cagers hitting bikes is visibility and white (or orange) really stands out and hopefully helps the idiots on their cell phones catch a glimpse of the rider. This is in addition, of course, to the headlamps, which are already on. I don't think you can be too visible and function over form has been my mantra. I leave the looking cool to the cute little costumes worn by the do rag set.

I wear a white helmet because I want to be seen and don't give a ding-dang about fashion or other people's opinion of the looks. Only problem is they start to look funny with a few days of bug residue on them...

I recently bought a new HJC AC-12. It is School Bus yellow. I've had several people comment about its visibilty. Not everybody's cup of tea but it sure gets noticed. Which is exactly what I was after.

I recently bought a new HJC AC-12. It is School Bus yellow. I've had several people comment about its visibilty. Not everybody's cup of tea but it sure gets noticed. Which is exactly what I was after.
Are you trying to say florecent orange was out of stock?

From what I have read, helmet color seems to be more important for conspicuity than any other wearable item's color. I have one white and one yellow. Seem to recall also that solid bright colors are more conspicuous than the wild graphics you see nowadays.