What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chuck, didn't you recently install it, how did it do?

Cruise is a luxury...one I don't want to be without.

It did much better on the trip than the few days I had to test it on my work commute.

I thought I had to much downhill creep up. What I found was my hand on the throttle was keeping the acc from being able to decell properly.

I found if I set it at 8 over I may go as high as 9 over or as low as 6. This is using the gps digital speed display.

This is the Rostra all electronic unit, mounted in front of the cooling tube on the valve cover.

I currently have the cable pulling on a screw in the stop tab, but have some linkages and things to try to increase resolution and safety.

BTW I turn wrenches for a living, and this was a biatch to install!

Dove in to investigate why my left mirror vibrates so badly. Turns out it's got no balls! Yep, the 3 little detent metal balls have gone missing. I was able to gingerly tighten it enough against the 8 belleville washers to keep it from rotating too freely but I can't help but think replacing the balls will help. Trouble is I've searched and scoured parts diagrams and can't find a detail of the balls, detent plate or washers/acorn nut. And suggestions?

^^^Yup. Replace those elbow checkers with FZ1 mirrors. Like Bust, they have no balls.

Honestly, I don't know that you can buy the washers or balls separately. You may have to source a used mirror for cheap and cannibalize it.

Dove in to investigate why my left mirror vibrates so badly. Turns out it's got no balls! Yep, the 3 little detent metal balls have gone missing. I was able to gingerly tighten it enough against the 8 belleville washers to keep it from rotating too freely but I can't help but think replacing the balls will help. Trouble is I've searched and scoured parts diagrams and can't find a detail of the balls, detent plate or washers/acorn nut. And suggestions?
Russ put a request for someones beat up mirrors in the "Wanted". I could have scored you a mirror the first of the week but it's in a landfill now.

Russ put a request for someones beat up mirrors in the "Wanted". I could have scored you a mirror the first of the week but it's in a landfill now.
I have a stock mirror from my '05 sitting on a shelf collecting dust. I don't know if it has the balls you are looking for, but it is yours if you can use it.

on the way home from the seo ramble i couldn't get my cruise control to set. so last night i pulled out the fsm, did some reading then went down to the garage. turns out the rear brake switch was out of adjustment causing my brake light to be on constantly and therefore not allowing the cruise to be set.

i apologize to yamafitter, philjet and whoever else may have been behind me on the ride saturday.

...turns out the rear brake switch was out of adjustment causing my brake light to be on constantly and therefore not allowing the cruise to be set...
Just for giggles, over the next few rides, randomly lift up on the brake pedal, if it moves up at all it is sticking and needs to have the pivot cleaned and lubed. This is a very common maintenance item, though your FJR is somewhat young for it to show up. At almost every FJR event that I have gone to we have spotted one or more bikes with the tell-tail 100% on brake light and a sticking brake pedal.

I was behind a Harley the other day. I slowed way down to let him get a lead on me. Glad I did......... His burning oil coming out of his exhaust about killed me! Whew!

I was behind a Harley the other day. I slowed way down to let him get a lead on me. Glad I did......... His burning oil coming out of his exhaust about killed me! Whew!
I know, you couldn't accelerate past him because your rear wheel would have spun up on his oil trail on the road.

2nggeg3.jpg
Installed this Rad Guard

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it wasn't today, but I rambled the heck out of it over the weekend. Amazing what a little Ramble will do for your disposition.
Man, ain't that the truth!! Now that my April leg surgery is really healing my wife has been asking, "doesn't your bike have somewhere to go for a few hours?"
2 words: private investigator. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst riding to the PNW tech meet yesterday, a certain "Pieman" noted that he could hear my Holeshot exhaust. Not too surprising except he was leading the pack, I was three bikes back. I know they bark a bit but I didn't realize they were that loud!

I purchased the Holeshot baffles when I bought the bike back in '12. The baffles made the exhaust sound like an old VW. Remember the "tweeting" sound they made? I couldn't stand it and took 'em out, stuck 'em on the shelf.

Not wanting to offend the citizenry or the fading senses of the aging FJR community, I set about to transform my "tweeters" into mellifluous "woofers".

The baffles are a 1 inch thick piece of aluminum with one 3/4 inch hole in the center and 6 - .350 inch holes surrounding it. I enlarged the small holes to 7/16 inch, then tapered the hole with a tapered reamer to create a mini megaphone. Then used a chamfering bit to create a small step about a third of the way down, then used a larger bit to chamfer the exit edges of the hole.

Result was: no tweeting detected! Now just a throaty, muted bark. Very noticeable difference from the saddle. They look cool, too.
coolsmiley02.gif

To celebrate, I rode 120 miles of backroads and twisties. What a pretty day here in the PNW.

Pieman, thanks to you my pipes are now civilized, but just barely.
yes.gif

Mounted and balanced a couple PR2s. Twenty days to departure on a 9 day adventure and much still to do. The Blackbird is done and title transferred to a friend who will be along on the same ride, so progress has been good so far.