what did you pay for freight and prep?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickey191

Reaction score
Anyone want to share what they paid for freight and prep on an '06?

The bike I just walked away from - they wanted $2,600.00 for freight and prep.

I told them that they could stick the '06 where the sun don't shine as I would not pay that kind of mark up on a freekin' CAR.

So - I know where an unspoken FJR is sitting at a dealership right now - will be ready in the morning - but I wouldn't recommend them as a dealer. :(

just curious ~ why the name chickey191? were you aiming for chucky and had a typo?

i paid nothing for prep and freight on my 06.

I paid a Big $0

Had two dealers try start at MSRP on the bike and then tried to add freight, prep and assembly both wanted $14,800 on an "A" mod. Told them both to screw themselves. Found another dealer $12,700 OTD

name is chuck hickey

chickey191 - as 191 is my Iron Butt Association number

so - chickey

nope - no chucky's here.

I got mine from the same place as FJRchic- in Texarakana- I bought the 48 month YES in addition to the bike and still walked away paying less than the Yammy MSRP of $13, 499!

In the Summer of 05 I was going to buy a new 05 untill I found out the dealer in Roseville Ca. wanted 900 clams for set up. Called around to other Yamaha shops in the Sacramento area and all wanted 700+ for set up. Seems the norm in this part of Ca. I bought a used (5,900 miles) 04ABS with a ton of deluxe farkles for less than a stock new one

$12,100 OTD, the only extra charge on mine is the dock fee which I believe was $60.00.

I told them that they could stick the '06 where the sun don't shine as I would not pay that kind of mark up on a freekin' CAR.

So - I know where an unspoken FJR is sitting at a dealership right now - will be ready in the morning - but I wouldn't recommend them as a dealer. :(
You did the right thing, walking away.

I've heard that there is not supposed to be any freight or prep on the PDP bikes, per Yamaha - I don't know if that's true, but I have heard it.

On my '06, the dealer tried to get $300 for freight and setup back in November. I said no way. The dealer removed the $300. My deal pales compared to some others around here - I got 12699 + state tax + state title fee + tags. That's $800 below MSRP.

Picking mine up this afternoon, got a sneak peak yesterday. They haven't mentioned a setup charge, but I do have an invoice with what I need to pay to ride away. With tax/license and warranty i'm barely over the MSRP by $100 with the nice deal they gave me.

I've spoken with Tony regarding freight and setup. Yamaha permits dealers to add these charges if they desire; they are not necessarily included. The list price does include a minimal amount of setup labor for the bike; Tony indicated it's not really sufficient to do a thorough job. As well, freight used to be an insignificant cost, but with the cost of labor and fuel these days it can now be a couple hundred dollars a bike.

In the end the only price that matters is what it costs to ride out the door. Calling around the DFW area I mostly got quotes of sticker plus $500 freight/assembly. $14K before taxes/title/plates/etc. At that point decided to either buy used or wait for a cancellation from Tony or D&H. Didn't have to wait long, Tony called back in week. It was a mid-April bike, so I'm hoping for delivery by the end of the month. At least I'll have six weeks of nice riding weather before the blast furnace cranks up.

- JimY

Before giving your $500 PDP deposit get a receipt showing the total amount due upon delivery. If the dealer is not willing to do this walk away. Otherwise be prepaired to pay whatever the dealer wants.

My deal was for the price + tax and license. They wrote it up with #399 Freight and $400 set up, then deducted $799 from the price we agreed on. This is OK because you don't pay sales tax on freight and setup.

Tom161

(I did better than Chuck in the 1999 Iron Butt) :D

yeah - you might have done better- but I had more fun. The Hurricane Dennis IBR - 11 days 6 of which it rained on me. I remember very little about it.

yeah - you might have done better- but I had more fun.  The Hurricane Dennis IBR - 11 days 6 of which it rained on me.  I remember very little about it.
I can imagine. Riding in conditions like that tends to make your brain use up its capacity on things other than storing memories.

My Hurricane Dennis Iron Butt was only an SS1K from MD to Arkansas, right through the remains of Dennis. It started raining 5 miles into the ride and didn't stop until after I was asleep in a run down motel on the far side of Little Rock. The worst part was easily the mountains of Tennessee - 20 ft visibility fog, inches of standing water on the roadways, getting waked by SUVs and semis, 20 year old taillight. Oh, it was bad.

Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure it will make your next IBR much more enjoyable.

$0. That's part of the reason why, after calling a few dealers in the Houston area I finally just called D&H and ordered from them. I get tired of the dealers crap.

Latest posts