First Valve Clearance Check

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see that It did jump a tooth, but decided to do the valve clearance check while I was in there. Then I will adjust the timeing. I have a good handle on retracting the CT, but was not confident of the screwdriver staying in place. The vice grips seem to be the solution. I seem to continuously create more work (like the cam removal and shim adjustment) but hope that this effort will pay off after I get it back together. Of course now I will need to do a Carb Sync and have ordered a tool for that.

Good idea to get it all done at once. With the screwdriver, after retracting the CCT and attaching the vice grip, I think I used some painters tape just to keep it from slipping back and disengaging from the screw.
Of course now I will need to do a Carb Sync and have ordered a tool for that.
I made one with some Tygon tubing, a couple of "Y" fittings, some automatic transmission fluid, zip ties and some narrower ID tubing to connect to the inlets - some very fine sections of tubing were inserted to restrict flow and "dampen" oscillations. No reservoirs to accommodate the fluid if the channels are way off so I use pinch clamps to shut off (and control) flow until I get close.

1729611332767.jpeg

Latest posts