What do you think are must have/dos when first getting an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing i would get is miles, and lots of em...

Then when you come back go on the forum and be amazed, amused, appalled, and humiliated by the stuff you find here. Bring your think skin and a sense of humor, and for Gauds sake learn how to do a thorough search. The bin-o-facts is a great resource.

If you have any trouble searching for shite ask Bust-a-nut. ;)

Our advise columnist is Radio Howie.

Our legal counsel is Dewey, Cheatum & Howie

They will tell you everything you need to know, and then some. :rolleyes:

Looking for farkles will soon become a never ending search for the perfect setup that you will never really achieve, especially if you attend rallies :drinks: and see all the crap everyone else has that you never even knew about and now must have. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Got over 80,000 miles with stock shields...so some person's "must have" is not the same as someone else's.

Like ionbeam said, buy the pink feathers first and attach them to your bike, everything else is gravy. :D

1...all recalls...electrical spider fix and ignition switch recalls come to mind

then, for me: seat, windshield, GPS, sliders, flashing brake lights

work your way up to:

Important to me for comfort is a Sargent Seat, Airhawk Air Pad, Wild Bill Highway Pegs, Cal Sci Windshield.

There are grip puppies, throttlemeister & sliders.

To help power the electricals, the bike has a Eastern Beaver fuse block.

4663991583_3a356f92d9.jpg

4597002453_32266c5984.jpg

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

3708483372_297efc8932.jpg

3708483376_d76db4c70f.jpg

3715490694_130cd89d99.jpg

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg

Hi, my name is Mike, and I'm a Farkleholic

Not the right guy to be in this thread for a n00b!! Disregard any and all posts from Patriot for your first 3 months here!!! :D

I dunno where those goofy headlight protectors in post #16 came from (actually I do: Cee Bailey,) but those are most definitely not what's on my bike. Mine are adhesive, thick clear film, like these, and protect the lenses from the everyday dust and grit that eventually hazes them to near opaqueness. I don't know if mine are those, or something from someone else, but they work, they are not intrusive, and they don't change the look of the bike any at all, the way those Cee Bailey covers do.

If you're considering a 2006 or newer FJR, your 1st choice should be THIS.
RadioHowie is absolutely correct, if you are getting a GenII FJR: Rider Rescue should be your first must have option.

Naturally after that 1st purchase, a quality heavy duty motorcycle trailer for your GenII FJR is your next acquisition!

kendon-trailer-model.jpg

If you're considering a 2006 or newer FJR, your 1st choice should be THIS.
RadioHowie is absolutely correct, if you are getting a GenII FJR: Rider Rescue should be your first must have option.

Naturally after that 1st purchase, a quality heavy duty motorcycle trailer for your GenII FJR is your next acquisition!

kendon-trailer-model.jpg
How about an owners manual for the specific model & year. Then you will know what grade of whale jissum to put

into your shaft holey thingy chingadera whatyamacallit deallybob.

I was looking at buying an FJR1300, and was wondering what are the things that everyone does when they first own one of these bikes? I've had other bikes, and in each case, there were some pretty common changes/farkles unique to the particular bikes.

Thanks for your input!!!
This forum offers information, facts and opinion for the FJR. I recently purchased a 2012 FJR1300A and love the bike. Sine I've been riding bikes for years and accomulated "alot" of needed accessories (clothing, light accent kit, etc) my first choice was the "YES" from D&H. While I posted questions, provided opinion and thought, my decision was to ride the machine first and build up the miles. It's like a new relationship - get to know your partner. Now I haven't put as many miles on her as most in this forum have as time has not been available, however, I have gotten past the 600 mile service and put 200 miles on her that same day, feeling her out. :yahoo:

If the FJR is "NEW" to you, if you do decide to purchase her, feel her out first ;) . Rider education, style, comfort, cost and learning your level of ride (and this forum) will aide in your decision. Each rider is different and wants/requires different needs, accesories.

Mine is still stock, farkles thus far: cramp buster, another plug-in power cord for phone, etc, plastic wax for the shield - tis about it. Considering: seat (maybe later tho), topcase (already working this). I gotta break in the bike, put miles on it, let our bodies adjust to fully embrace the passion. Again, just my point of view. Each member has his/her feel and experience - yet we all have our true Love, the FJR ;)

Add a reflective vest to your gear. I find that the "cop look" combination of the bike and a vest gets lots of attention. Funny to see car drivers get that OH CRAP look in their mirrors and pull over for you! And for those that still don't see you louder horns with a relay are helpful.

One of the (few) things that can strand you miles from home on a well maintained bike(in my case about 1000 miles from home) is a busted radiator from road debris or small rock. It was about the size of a pin hole but enough to disable the bike. After my experience with this, a radiator guard became pretty high on my priority list.

Of course the most common problem is a flat but in most cases that be fixed on the road with a plug kit.

One of the (few) things that can strand you miles from home on a well maintained bike(in my case about 1000 miles from home) is a busted radiator from road debris or small rock. It was about the size of a pin hole but enough to disable the bike. After my experience with this, a radiator guard became pretty high on my priority list.

Of course the most common problem is a flat but in most cases that be fixed on the road with a plug kit.
+1, Gunny; that is actually the very first item I installed on my Miss Lucy Liu back in 2003, with all of our gravel roads here in Arizona my guard has save my FJR radiator!

Yes, and it doesn't have to be on a gravel road. In my case it was on I20 in Alabama. No idea what caused it - never heard or felt anything. The first clue was when I started getting sprayed with coolant.

+1, Gunny; that is actually the very first item I installed on my Miss Lucy Liu back in 2003, with all of our gravel roads here in Arizona my guard has save my FJR radiator!

1st line of defense is a "fenda extenda" up front

https://www.pca-one.com/search.asp?search=bike&bikeType=&bikeMake=Yamaha&bikeModel=FJR1300&bikeYear=2006&MfgCode=&SearchVal=+fender&groupMaster=&groupID=&subgroupID=&specGroup=&specFeatures=&newVal=fender&SortOrder=Default&BlockSize=20

radiator guard:

https://www.bikeeffects.com/proddetail.asp?prod=113-13064

this is owned by a forum member who offers a discount code on all member's orders

Although the radiator guard jumped to the top of my priority list I still havent't picked one up yet :huh: so I'm in the market for one.

I'm currently thinking about the Cox guard from Bike Effects.

quote name='FJR Bill' timestamp='1341783686' post='980340']

Now be real cool and post a link for a radiator guard. Thanks, Bill :rolleyes: