What head light bulbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
Thay finaly got the replacement lenss in and I want to go with a better light bulb replace while they are in there. What do you recommend for night traveling at high spped? And the search gave me 27 pages of usless crap so don't go there with me, it's early.

Well, if you're only going to replace the stock H4 bulbs with aftermarket bulbs, many forum members use the Silvania Silverstars - I've got about 36K on my current set, some members have had poor duration out of these, but I've done well with them. Still running my first set, replacement set in my spares kit.

These are what I would use. Available at most auto parts stores. This would be the most 'bang for the buck ' upgrade. About $40 to $50 per set. $

There are "off road use only" bulbs available that are increased wattage, ergo more light - but also more heat. Possible heat damage in the refectors. Possible overheating of the wiring. You might have to order from the UK to get these. $

An excellent aux lite install would be the Hella FF50's with Garauld's brackets - relatively low cost, and a good occasional use farkle. See here: Gary's Post

Some forum members have done an HID conversion, changing the H4 bulbs to HID's with the associated hardware. Excellent amount of light and a reduction in wattage draw and desirable if you're riding a GenI bike and running any additional farkles. It is highly recommended to have a spare bulb assembly with you if one burns out, as they're not readily available at the local Wally World.

And MANY forum members have installed aux lights, the current technology would be the Soltek Fuego or the PHID's. These are handy for vaporizing forest rats. And they draw fewer watts than the stock bulbs.

And have a cup of coffee, ok? ;)

I use the Silverstar Ultras in my FJR. They give great light. I had tried the Piaa's, but they only lasted a year in my other bike. The Silverstar Ultras cost under $50 for the set. Regardless of which brand you go with, be very careful not to touch the bulb with your fingers during installation. If you do by accident, wipe them off with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol to get any oil off that came from your fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock bulbs give better lighting than most OEM bulbs IMHO, but I have usually been replacing in other bikes with Philips Vision Plus bulbs and have used sylvania silverstars available at most auto parts stores and feel they are both about the same. I've been wanting to try Philips Xtreme bulbs but not available in USA so far.

doctorj

I upgraded to OSRAM Nightbreakers. Cost me round $35 off the 'bay. Low beams are ok. Nothing special, but the high beams are fantasticly bright. Worth the $$$ to me.

Thay finaly got the replacement lenss in and I want to go with a better light bulb replace while they are in there. What do you recommend for night traveling at high spped? And the search gave me 27 pages of usless crap so don't go there with me, it's early.

HID........HID...........HID............

The reflectors in our headlights are not optimised for HID conversions - any such conversion is a compromise.

I went with Hella Micro DE Xenon driving lights mounted on Garauld's brackets. This is the second bike I've used this model light on.

The Soltek's seem OK, but were large and pricey by comparison. The PHIDs are convenient, but were also relatively expensive and are cheaply built.

A higher wattage bulb works better than a 'blue' bulb, but the best bang would likely come from an upgraded headlight wiring harness - there's quite a bit of voltage drop in the stock harness - and a high wattage bulb COULD impact on the control relay and even the bulb solcket.

I'm sure W C has probably checked most of them out as he recommended the Osram but--

Got 45,100mi on my '04 FJR & 1 of the hi beams burned out so time to do something. I installed a pair of Silvania Sliver Star Ultra H4s & they are outstanding. $50 at Pepboys with $15 rebate for the pair until the end of Nov. Like em so well that I bought another pair (2 pair limit for the rebates) for another one of my bikes. It was quick & dirty & cheap---Hmm fits me to a tee.

Later,,, De :)

These Philips Vision+80 have worked great for me.

Plus, Murph is a great guy to work with -- outstanding, personal customer service. He's also a member of this board though he doesn't come around much. He hangs out with the Connie crowd.

(snip) I've been wanting to try Philips Xtreme bulbs but not available in USA so far.
doctorj
Oh, yes they are. These +80s are Philips X-treme and DOT legal as well.

These Philips Vision+80 have worked great for me.
Plus, Murph is a great guy to work with -- outstanding, personal customer service. He's also a member of this board though he doesn't come around much. He hangs out with the Connie crowd.

Oh, yes they are. These +80s are Philips X-treme and DOT legal as well.
I'll second that referral. Murphskits is a great outfit to work with. Before my HID conversion, I purchased a pair of the Phillips Vision Plus (not the 80's as they were not available) and loved them. They are my spare set if I burn out my HID's. The HID's caused me to crap my pants compared to the vision plus bulbs, but both were a significant improvement over the stock bulbs.

That said, the stock bulbs and reflectors put out a tremendous amount of light compared to other motorcycles I've ridden.

worldbound4now

eye put the kind in that makes light by passing electrons through a fine wire filament.. Suppose I could have used a candle, but, what a pain in the butt that would be, having to light 'em up everytime I wanted to ride in the dark :blink:

Yeah I'm a helpful kinda guy. ;)

:jester:

I ordered 2 of these lights. LINK They work better than I thought they would and I would do it again.