What is it like riding in Michigan?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bionicpork

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm considering taking a job in Michigan near Detroit. This would be a pretty major life change for me having lived in SC for most of my life.

I'm interested in hearing life experience from people that live in the area. What's it like riding in MI? I assume winters are a dead season, and I've heard road conditions are pretty awful year round. Car insurance seems insane, does that also apply to two wheelers?

Feel free to toss in some non-riding related advice too :)

I have only lived in Michigan for 9 years this time. This is my second time living in Michigan. I am also closer to Battle Creek then Detroit. I have a 2007 with full coverage and it is only $544 a year. Honestly comparable to when I lived in Maryland and Pennsylvania.

As far as roads…hit and miss. In my area they are tar and chipping everything. So rounding a curve I either see a pothole the size of a buick or tar and chip. I didnt ride for a few years (not the reason) but am noticing it now. I argue they are fixing roads…but that is interstate and I like country riding. I used to ride all year but did get caught in a snowstorm years ago so gave that up. You can ride in November usually. Maybe a day or two in December/January/February but wouldn't count on that. Just my opinion though

I do like Michigan. Cant say I like Detroit…but my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and I can't see their house. I love going up to the UP (Upper Peninsula) and Mackinac Island. I stay out of politics but like everything right now you have a bunch of fanatics on both sides.

Depends on what you like in life, but I wouldn't hesitate to move to Michigan. It wouldn't be a top 5 choice for me, but I like it.