What is the best model year in your opinion?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, I'd just look at the classifieds here, Craiglist (www.allofcraigs.com or similar) and any other sources and buy the best value/deal. Some yrs generations are prone to some recalls and idiosyncrasies, but all are OK IMO, and would be a great buy.
FIFY

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, I'd just look at the classifieds here, Craiglist (www.allofcraigs.com or similar) and any other sources and buy the best value/deal. Some yrs generations are prone to some recalls and idiosyncrasies, but all are OK IMO, and would be a great buy.
FIFY
I stand by my original post; yes, there is a difference between the two generations, but also between model yrs in the same generation. The example of Gen 1 tickers and Gen 2 ignitions. There are others, but that is what I meant by that.

Any of them are OK IMO, just be educated on what you're getting both generally and that particular bike and what it's had done to it.

Thanks everybody.I did look at the matrix,that is why I was leaning toward an 05 cause I do like the color but most of all it is a little faster then the genII and it got a few more bells and whistles like bigger rotors and optional abs etc..And it is closer to my price range.I have an 85 FJ1100 right now and really hate to get rid of it to get an FJR but I might have to make the sacrfice to make it happen.

And yes I am a real caber tosser.Been doing it for 14 years.

Thanks everybody.I did look at the matrix,that is why I was leaning toward an 05 cause I do like the color but most of all it is a little faster then the genII and it got a few more bells and whistles like bigger rotors and optional abs etc..And it is closer to my price range.
And yes I am a real caber tosser.Been doing it for 14 years.
I see now that you are among the wisest of this clan. Welcome Caber Tosser! Am referring to your exceptionally well thought out decision to go with a Galaxy blue '05 FJR 1300(a?) :clapping:

Oh, and the ABS brakes on the '05's are NOT linked like they are on all the other ABS models since then.

+1 - to the '04- '05. as the best bang for the buck

May we call you Scotty?

I'm figuring that you must be Scottish since:

a ) You say you toss the caber.

b ) Your original post specifically asks "What year would give me the best bang for the buck?" revealing your inner frugal nature. ;)

So getting directly to the point on #2, with their being so few tangible differences between years, the bike you can score in the best shape at the lowest price will end up being the best bang for your buck. I'd be perfectly happy with either an '04 or '05 if the miles are reasonable (so don't buy ScooterG's dirty old whore) and the price is commensurate for its age.

The good news is that the 1st gens were sold under the PDP, meaning the original owners had to order them from dealers sight unseen. Many of these owners found out later that they really aren't the "touring" type of rider they had hoped they'd be, and so didn't put many miles on them. It isn't all that unusual to find an '04 or '05 bike with less than 20k miles on it.

If you can find yourself a nice Bass Bote Blue one w/ ABS and afew farkles, maybe ~20k miles on it for say ~$6500 or so, That would be the bike to buy.

And no, you can't have mine, which fits that description except for the miles. It's not for sale!! :lol:

If you want the quickest, get a 2003.
if you want the prettiest, get any of them and repaint them.
Finally, The Voice of Reason on this thread. Bounce is obviously an FJR Forum Administrator due to his high intelligence. The 2003 FJR is still the quickest, but they are all very pretty motorcycles and can be repainted!

Baja101.jpg

Back in 2003 I got tired of seeing my silver bike coming at me on the road whenever I saw another 2003 FJR. So, I had Miss Lucy Liu two-tone painted BMW K1200RS Blue with the original silver by Heat Waves in Chandler.

The Gay Caballero is standing behind one of the most famous Gen 1's on our FJR Forum. The Legendary Dirty Old Whore, that sweet 2004 warhorse racked up 222,222 miles on her before Her Master killed her. THE BASTARD!!!

+1 - to the '04- '05. as the best bang for the buck
May we call you Scotty?

I'm figuring that you must be Scottish since:

a ) You say you toss the caber.

b ) Your original post specifically asks "What year would give me the best bang for the buck?" revealing your inner frugal nature. ;)

So getting directly to the point on #2, with their being so few tangible differences between years, the bike you can score in the best shape at the lowest price will end up being the best bang for your buck. I'd be perfectly happy with either an '04 or '05 if the miles are reasonable (so don't buy ScooterG's dirty old whore) and the price is commensurate for its age.

The good news is that the 1st gens were sold under the PDP, meaning the original owners had to order them from dealers sight unseen. Many of these owners found out later that they really aren't the "touring" type of rider they had hoped they'd be, and so didn't put many miles on them. It isn't all that unusual to find an '04 or '05 bike with less than 20k miles on it.

If you can find yourself a nice Bass Bote Blue one w/ ABS and afew farkles, maybe ~20k miles on it for say ~$6500 or so, That would be the bike to buy.

And no, you can't have mine, which fits that description except for the miles. It's not for sale!! :lol:
I agree that shopping will provide best bang for the buck. Maybe the earlier models are quicker but I agree that a good deal on a used FJR will be the best score reguardless of year. I think I got a superb deal recently. Might not be the fastest FJR in the fleet but...2009 with only 4800 miles, sliders installed, handle bar extensions installed, tank protector installed, ignition switch recall corrected, extended warranty good until 2013. Purchase price $8500. I'm thinking I did ok.

Bill

I would have to go with the 04. Im driving an 08 now, but only because I had a slight miscalculation in judgment riding home one night on the 04. The 08 has some new things I like,but would gladly give them up to have a bike that was less buzzy. The 04 was more comfy for me and a little smoother.

GP

So - the best bike is a HD Ultra. :rolleyes:
Oh. No. you. dinni't!
somebody...pleeeeeese...get the fuckin' elephant outta the room...
Ok FJ peeps - how many hav 148k+ troublefree miles? Like on my Ultra?

Just sayin'

the elephant shits on fjr's! :lol:

I can't believe all these gen1 closet queens claim their bike is best..

give me a break -

exhaust valve guide ticking bozo blinking fat old farts on under-swing-armed machines...

:****:

Hugs n' Kisses

So - the best bike is a HD Ultra. :rolleyes:
Oh. No. you. dinni't!
somebody...pleeeeeese...get the fuckin' elephant outta the room...
Ok FJ peeps - how many hav 148k+ troublefree miles? Like on my Ultra?

Just sayin'

the elephant shits on fjr's! :lol:

I can't believe all these gen1 closet queens claim their bike is best..

give me a break -

exhaust valve guide ticking bozo blinking fat old farts on under-swing-armed machines...

:****:

Hugs n' Kisses
+1 Gunny! 212,000 miles on "Big Red", my 1984 FLH Electra-Glide Shovelhead! "bozo blinking fat old farts on under-swing-armed machines..." Why Yes Honey, that would be your dear old Papa Chuy!!