What is the best tank bag for the fjr? Ideas Please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, flnfjr, as you can see there are many good options for tank bags that work well on the FJR.

Do you like magnetic or strap-on? Magnetic is more convenient to put on, take off, and move around, but it is also heavier, easier to steal, and may be more likely to scratch your tank. Strap-on normally have a harness that attaches to the bike so it is not convenient to move the bag once the straps are adjusted, they don't have the haeavy magnets, and are slightly more secure because you have to unclip the straps. I have no experience with the ones that attach to the gas cap ring, but they are popular around here as well.

The one that's best for you will depend on how you want to use it. The small ones like the Cortech mini are great for day rides where you want to carry some water and a small camera, and they have a clear map pouch that is useable.

If you want to carry more stuff then you'll need a bigger bag. I like the Rapid Tansit that Scab mentioned, and they make one that expands so you can use the smaller part for day rides and add the second part for packing more stuff. The map pocket is narrow so you'll have to re-fold your map more often with this bag. The map pocket will be less of a concen if you ride with a GPS.

I was all set to buy the Rapid Transit when I got an offer I couldn't refuse on a slightly used Frank Thomas CARGO Endurance bag, It is gigantic and is the biggest bag I could fit on the FJR and still be able to turn the bars full swing. It expands at the top and, when fully loaded, is at the maximum height I'm confortable riding with. I only use this bag when I really need the extra carrying capacity.

I'm w/ Scab on the RT Recon19. I had mine for a year before I replaced it w/ the stack version of the bag.

Here's my old bag

PICT0052-3.jpg

Here's what the newer one looks like

632984157625411130659-5005.jpg

Are those gas cap ring bags "lockable"? Not the zipper bits, but the attachment to the cap ring?
If its too convenient, I might be worried about it walking off when on a trip.
I also have an engage tank bag and love it. As far as being lockable, no it is not. But neither is any other bag that I know of.

Mac
The appeal of the ring is quick off-quick on and no touchy the tank. I carry mine in when I eat, gas up, sight-see etc. Luggage locker (sorry no link) does lock, but i have heard a few customer service complaints. The locking mechanism seems a little inconvienient as it takes a wrench/key to remove.

Are those gas cap ring bags "lockable"? Not the zipper bits, but the attachment to the cap ring?
If its too convenient, I might be worried about it walking off when on a trip.
I also have an engage tank bag and love it. As far as being lockable, no it is not. But neither is any other bag that I know of.

Mac
The appeal of the ring is quick off-quick on and no touchy the tank. I carry mine in when I eat, gas up, sight-see etc. Luggage locker (sorry no link) does lock, but i have heard a few customer service complaints. The locking mechanism seems a little inconvienient as it takes a wrench/key to remove.

got some pics jekirby?

I don't remember which one I have... something with a "1" in the name... but I like that it does fit into an empty sidecase if I decide not to carry it around with me, (even if I have the bag filled with stuff). It's magnetic and sticks to my fridge in the kitchen so I don't forget to take it in the mornings... It has a clear map window, two side zips and isn't intrusive in the steering area...

It's all a personal thing. I have seen a couple more that I'd like to have just for size options when necessary. I've seen some that look like they could carry a passenger! TOO big and not safe in my opinion, and I've seen some that carry less than the pocket in my riding jacket...???WTF? coin purse with magnets?

C

There has been a good cross section of suggestions offered and I can only add that once you determine what type and style you want, please consider supporting those vendors who have been kind enough to support our rallies. There are several dealers and small shops as well as mail and web vendors who have supplied material to make our regional (and upcoming “national”) events special.

Now as far as tank bags go, I have an older model RKA bag that I’ve had for over 10 years and it is still going strong. It is very similar to their current 8.5 liter 3 Point "MiniX" Expandable Tankbag. It is a (3) strap style and in combination with the Tankslapper protection, I’d have to say it works very well. Easy to unsnap the front straps and set in the seat for refueling and all of the contact points are protected by the Tankslapper.

CBXBULL

Tanklocker tankbag from www.luggagelocker.com CLICKY HERE
BTW, I have had excellent experience with their customer service.

tank8a.jpg

Yeah, ScooterG, I did not say, but take what I said as third hand at best. I have not done business with them, but I read a couple of post here and another forum that were not too complimentry, but you always here about the one or two bad experiences and not the majority good ones.

I will post a couple of Pics tonight. In the meantime go to www.twistedthrottle.com to see some of their stock pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin, sorry for the delay. I really like mine. I am setting it up so that all my electronics are in the bag so it is easy off at stops. Gps, phone, ipod and intercom are all powered from the bag. It is a good fit between the bars at full lock, but it is small--a 'man purse' at best, but it surves my purpose. The Engage XL is the same footprint, but taller and would be our choice if you want storage. Pardon dirt, pollen around here is unreal.

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

Spendy, but a good system. No, not lockable.

Colin, sorry for the delay. I really like mine. I am setting it up so that all my electronics are in the bag so it is easy off at stops. Gps, phone, ipod and intercom are all powered from the bag. It is a good fit between the bars at full lock, but it is small--a 'man purse' at best, but it surves my purpose. The Engage XL is the same footprint, but taller and would be our choice if you want storage. Pardon dirt, pollen around here is unreal.
DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

Spendy, but a good system. No, not lockable.
Hello,

By the looks of your pictures, is that "tank ring" the electric one? If so, how hard was it to set up? How do/does the electronics in your tank bag that need to be powered hook up to internal power source in the tank bag? Thanks

David C, I have a couple lighter type sockets wired to the lead that comes through the tank bag. SW-Motech includes a pretty cool relay setup that turns on when the bag in placed on the ring and turns off when bag is removed-thus no chance of grounding the contacts and creating a spark when fueling. I did not wire the bag to an ignition switched power source as I wanted to charge devices overnight, when stopped, etc. Was it hard, no not really. The lack of much spare space on the FJR for relays and the like is the usual headache. That is my own gps mount as I did not like the one that was intended to be used with the bag-it is not as stable as TT told me.

Add>>I did not reply so all those pics wouldn't be displayed again.

I have the Heli triple tree clamp on my FJR "07". Anyone have experience w/tank bags using the Heli triple? I really wanted to get the Engage-sport however I believe the handle bars wil hit it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

I have the Heli triple tree clamp on my FJR "07". Anyone have experience w/tank bags using the Heli triple? I really wanted to get the Engage-sport however I believe the handle bars wil hit it. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

I have the Heli triple tree on my 07'...and I ride with either a Cortech mini (in town) or a Cortech 18L Mag (LD rides). The mini is no trouble at all.

The 18L is a fairly good sized bag. The bars do contact that bag just before full lock. A slight issue with tight turns while paddle footing

in the driveway and in parking lots...but absolutely no issues with contact on the road. To me it's not a problem.

I have an Oxford sport bag. Dunno if they are available Stateside.

CLICK!

You can leave the magnetic base attached and just zip off the bag. The base has an integral map pocket.

There is some contact at full lock, but as others have stated, no big deal.

Griff

Thanks,

Chris
As said before, normal riding, no problem. Parking lot maneuvers, keep your thumb on the bottom of the kill switch or the bag will shut the motor off.

Greetings.....I bought the Engage Sport however I do have one question. There are two straps at the front which have plastic buckles on them. Are these typically used to attach the bag to the triple tree? I have yet to find any useful use for them since the bag attached via the gas cap mount system.

Thanks,

Chris

Greetings.....I bought the Engage Sport however I do have one question. There are two straps at the front which have plastic buckles on them. Are these typically used to attach the bag to the triple tree? I have yet to find any useful use for them since the bag attached via the gas cap mount system.
Thanks,

Chris
Without actually seeing, or understanding what you are describing, are those the attachment points for the shoulder strap? Maybe?

Thanks,

Chris
Without actually seeing, or understanding what you are describing, are those the attachment points for the shoulder strap? Maybe?
The shoulder strap has additional D rings on each side of the bag for attaching the shoulder strap to the bag. I'll try to take a picture this evening. They appear to be bag hold down straps....which go around the triple tree. Not sure why you'd need them...with the mounting system I would assume the bag would be stable enough without additional straps.

Thanks,

Chris