What is the best way to transport my FJR from LA to Chicago?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2006FJR

Administrator of Transportation
Reaction score
I am going to be doing a ride in September of this year and I would like to have the bike transported from Los Angeles to Chicago. I am going to want to have it shipped back from Atlanta to Los Angeles 30-days later in early October. This will allow me to maximize my time in the Eastern US and Canada. I know I am going to take some hell for not riding it out and back but the wife fought me and in the end I agreed. So what are your thoughts, do I stick this on a flatbed, rail, or a over the road truck and what can I expect to pay. I work for a major carrier but they do not like to transport bikes?

I will be doing the LA/Chicago thing too, I priced it at about $600 one way over the road. Google motorcycle transport, Pick up at their terminal, its cheaper. DR

I will be doing the LA/Chicago thing too, I priced it at about $600 one way over the road. Google motorcycle transport, Pick up at their terminal, its cheaper. DR
Thanks and have you ever shipped your bike in the past? I know I could get my company to do it but I would need to build a crate for it. I will check it out but I was really hoping for some real world examples from people who have already done it. I am sure I could also post the shipment on "the boards". These are Owner Operators who have customers who only partly load up their trucks but still have some room on the back and are willing to take about anything since whatever they add is just gravy.

If the shipment is" LTL" then I remember your bike could be riding along with a load of wood, then a shipment of coffins, then a load of nuts and bolts, ECT., Then it interlines with terminal stops along the way.

I used to send Vespas on auto transport without issue, Bikes were as heavy as 374lbs.

I would receive Vespas in crates from Italy and had maybe 10% damage, mostly from the bottom by being forklifted wrong.

I am gonna stick with Motorcycle Transport when I send mine. Or maybe just ride it to Chicago if my wife doesn't freak.

DR

I am going to be doing a ride in September of this year and I would like to have the bike transported from Los Angeles to Chicago. I am going to want to have it shipped back from Atlanta to Los Angeles 30-days later in early October. This will allow me to maximize my time in the Eastern US and Canada. I know I am going to take some hell for not riding it out and back but the wife fought me and in the end I agreed. So what are your thoughts, do I stick this on a flatbed, rail, or a over the road truck and what can I expect to pay. I work for a major carrier but they do not like to transport bikes?
https://arcposseroadtrip.blogspot.com/2008/04/day-05-loading-up-rolling-out.html

call mary at federal 309-694-4500 ext 341

check this blog out these guys did my cousins bike last fall buffalo to denver door to door

Last edited by a moderator:
With your ass on the seat and your hand on the throttle :rolleyes:

https://arcposseroadtrip.blogspot.com/2008/04/day-05-loading-up-rolling-out.html

call mary at federal 309-694-4500 ext 341

check this blog out these guys did my cousins bike last fall buffalo to denver door to door
+1, Gunny! Beachy is right, Federal is the only way to go; a great outfit! I restored a 1978 Harley-Davidson XLCR Cafe Racer a decade ago from five boxes of parts.

I rode it for a few years and sold it to a Gentleman from Nashville, TN. Owner of Kachina Cycle here in Chandler, my Friend Clem, recommended Federal. They picked it up and loaded it in a box trailer filled only with motorcycles; fuel had to be completely removed and they pallet strapped it down. https://www.funtransport.com/

Yea, you should ride it but alternatively you could use these guys

M/C Ship

I've used them on several occations (at least until I manned up and just rode it :lol: ) with great success. Door to door, about $600 across the country. You can pay more if you want a dedicated delivery schedule or a crate to put it in. The drivers of the trucks know what they're doing, handle bikes all the time.

Thanks guys and riding it is not totally out of the question, but 3-4 day there and 3-4 days back 2-up end up being about 25% of the time we have off. That time could be spent with family in GA or NC or tail of the dragon, or even in Washington DC touring our Nation's capital. You get the idea... Thanks for the links guys and I am going to look into it.

With your ass on the seat and your hand on the throttle :rolleyes:
I would say the same thing...

..but he posted that his wife took his balls away and hid them in one of the sidebags.

j/k good thread, and I understand why you're doing what you're doing. If you only have so much time and you have alot of things out east to see, it makes perfect sense...

...especially if the wife controls your throttle too. ;)

I want it to be fun for her and I know what crossing AZ or NV in late August or early September looks like... Let's just say it is not going to be a good start to the trip even if we ride through at night. Papa has learned if he wants to have a wife that tours with him he needs to listen to the smaller details from time to time. :p

I want it to be fun for her and I know what crossing AZ or NV in September looks like... Let's just say it is not going to be a good start to the trip even if we ride through at night. Papa has learned if he wants to have a wife that tours with him he needs to listen to the smaller details from time to time. :p
I agree.

Just givin' you a hard time.

I want it to be fun for her and I know what crossing AZ or NV in September looks like... Let's just say it is not going to be a good start to the trip even if we ride through at night. Papa has learned if he wants to have a wife that tours with him he needs to listen to the smaller details from time to time. :p
I agree.

Just givin' you a hard time.
I know.. :rolleyes:

I've shipped bikes three times-Buffalo to Tucson-and ridden back-all successful ventures. What I would add to this thread is this: do a web search on the various shipping companies. We all know the syndrome of sitting in an auto dealers customer lounge-you start comparing notes and wonder what made you buy this model from this dealer. Of course you are listening at the bottom end of a funnel and it doesn't give you any appreciation of the total picture.

IMO : in your search you will see some companies who appear way too much in negative reviews--others almost none. Be wise-pay an extra buck-keep the good guys in business-and say a prayer.

Let me know what you find out Trent as Roy Bill and I are planing on EOM this year and will be shipping at least three bikes to Atlanta and riding them back.

R

Are you planning on driving the car or flying?

If driving you could still ride and have her follow. It becomes a team effort and can still be rewarding.

Or for probably about the same amount of money as shipping both ways you could trailer it yourself.

Or she could fly and you could ride solo...

Lots of options.

Let me know what you find out Trent as Roy Bill and I are planing on EOM this year and will be shipping at least three bikes to Atlanta and riding them back.

R
I will let you know what we come up with for sure. The cheapest option by far will be using "the boards" out of Fontana. My second option will be to get Conway to ship it. Both Chicago and Atlanta are head haul lanes and coming back they are back haul lanes meaning if you are not getting a cheaper rate to return the bike you are getting screwed. I will not pay more than about $400 per bike and I might be able to get it done for as little as about $250. This would not be a fly by night option since in many cases I have known the drivers for many years. I am a little shocked at the quotes I have seen so far. Shipping 3 bikes should lower your cost per bike and even a 'hotshot' trailer is an option as you add other bikes.

Are you planning on driving the car or flying?

If driving you could still ride and have her follow. It becomes a team effort and can still be rewarding.

Or for probably about the same amount of money as shipping both ways you could trailer it yourself.

Or she could fly and you could ride solo...

Lots of options.
We will be flying out to Chicago and returning via plane from Atlanta. I have accounts here in Orange County that will let me use their pricing agreement discount to ship the bike right from their dock as a favor and the cost of driving out with gas ect is higher than I am willing to pay. There are lot so options for sure...