What is the best way to transport my FJR from LA to Chicago?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I travel to client sites fairly often. If its over 500 miles, I travel the day before and spend the night at a hotel. Even if you fly, its tough to not need to arrive the day before given the time it takes to drive, park, check in, pass security, and deal with airlines, then pull a rental or transport at the other end. Any way you look at it, you will have 8-hours invested in travel by air, assuming no delays.although traveling west you gain an hour. So really only about a 6 or 7 hour difference between flying or FJRing.

I understand the work thing, but shipping a motorcycle usually means draining fluids, and turning the bike over well ahead of the shipping date, then getting set up at the other end. IMO, its not worth it for a trip through the midwest.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned uship.com. It's a bidding system where shippers bid on your specific job. It costs you nothing to put up your request (date, locations etc). Then shippers bid on your job. The shippers have ratings from users like on eBay.

I did this to ship a motorcycle from LA to Austin. Cost $375. It arrived in an enclosed trailer with about 8 other new motorcycles. All were secured well. My shipper was papasteve and I gave him a good rating.

No obligation to accept the bid, so have nothing to lose and you can gain some competitive pricing info.

Never pass up a chance to ride across this country on a motorcycle. Personally I think it should be a requirement to vote but thats another thread for another forum.

Ride the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of ideas here!!! If you decide to ship the bike, Federal is the way I would go. I've used them three times with no damage or delays. They are not the low cost carrier but they palletize the bike and you do not have to drain all fluids. I delivered or had the bikes delivered to a MC dealer with less than 1/8 tank of gas. I gave the dealer a bike cover and $10 tip so he could cover the bike after it was secured to pallet. Had one bike shipped from PA to CA, one from NC to CA, and one

from ND to CA.

Since you are simply traveling and want a bike to ride, I would fly to Chicago rent a bike and do the touring you plan and drop off the rental bike in Atlanta. Eagle riders has locations in those cities. You are in CA and you can tour the western states at another time. Between Denver and Chicago is a motorcycle wasteland except for Rushmore area.

Yep, we own bikes to ride them, why not ride the damn thing? It ain't that far, LA to Chicago. Just a warm up lap for a FJR!