What is the law on riding with a gun?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably failing to understand your question about carry on the bike.

If you want to carry for transportation, like to a range, hunting trip,..... family reunion (if you are going to Missouri), then by all means keep the ammo separate from the gun. No ammo= no lethal weapon. Better yet, if it is a semi-auto, break it down--- then it is not actually a gun... it's gun parts.

If you want to carry for personal protection, then the only place to carry it is loaded on your person. Then you can't be searched unless it is incident to arrest, or there is a reason for a "stop & frisk". If one has placed oneself in one of those positions, they should be arrested for being stupid... and shouldn't be allowed to carry for said reason.

B)

And some counties in CA are surprisingly easy to get a permit in.
I've heard that and don't doubt it with the ad hoc way it's done out here, but have yet to be cited a specific example of an easy county by anyone who has told me that. (I might even move there.)

However, the new sheriff in OC has made it rather difficult...Her definition of "good cause" is rather interesting.
C'mon, now -- not fair to make us guess if you know. What is her definition? I seriously doubt I'll be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
The National Firearms Owners Protection Act also allows you to transport a gun thru any state as long as you are legal to own a gun in your resident and desitnation states. This requires unloaded, locked container, yada, yada, yada. I do understand that you were wondering about your own state though.

And some counties in CA are surprisingly easy to get a permit in.
I've heard that and don't doubt it with the ad hoc way it's done out here, but have yet to be cited a specific example of an easy county by anyone who has told me that. (I might even move there.)
However, the new sheriff in OC has made it rather difficult...Her definition of "good cause" is rather interesting.
C'mon, now -- not fair to make us guess if you know. What is her definition? I seriously doubt I'll be surprised.
1) Many rural CA counties that one lives in will issue you a permit, due to living out of town (the town or city proper) far from police and also being in a very rural area. Get to know your local sheriff, that might help.
2) You're right you won't be surprised by anything in Kali.

Ditto on Iggy's comment and site.
In California (assuming you don't have the elusive Cali CCW permit), it must be in a locked container and unloaded. Unloaded means no round in the chamber and no magazine containing ammunition lodged in the gun. Forgive me if this sounds political, but it's really a lawyer's comment on the law: it is downright confusing to try to work through California's mash of gun laws. Worse, you can get two different cops (or lawyers) to give you two different answers on a lot of fine points about Cali's gun laws because of it.

I've heard it both ways from lay (but knowledgable gun) sources in California -- that the loaded mags must be in a separate case and separated, and NOT. I haven't exhaustively researched it (so this is worth exactly what you're paying for it), but I think the better interpretation is "NOT" -- that the mags do not have to be in a separate case/location**. But the handgun must be in a locked container and it must not have any ammunition in it. If you want maximum avoidance of potential hassle (e.g., the green kid cop who thinks they have to be separate), then carry them separate. It can still cost you time, money and aggravation to go to court to prove you're right if you and a cop have differing opinions on what the law requires.

** IIRC, there's maybe some enhancement for another gun crime if the ammunition is within reach, but I don't believe it has any bearing on the question you're asking. It's late, I don't remember the esoteric circumstance, and I'm not going to go dig it out.
I know in California your car trunk is considered a locked container, but on a bike, what about in the side bag with the stupid ass locks that they make you buy when you get a hand gun here? Like when I buy it, it has to have the lock on it to take it to the car. (I'm all primed for a political rant here).

One of my friends is a CHP (rides an FJR in his off time) and he says the laws are so stupid here he does not enforce most some of them.

I will shortly have a Utah CCW which will cover 30 states (NOT California) so I will be covered most places I would go.

I know in California your car trunk is considered a locked container, but on a bike, what about in the side bag with the stupid ass locks that they make you buy when you get a hand gun here? Like when I buy it, it has to have the lock on it to take it to the car.
The trunk of a car qualifies, but the glove box or center console does not, even if it locks (specific statutory exception). Interesting that the statute uses "in" the vehicle, seemingly not addressing "on" a motorcycle, but I doubt that would be an issue if you've got it in a locked pannier, top box or locking case strapped to the bike. The statute talks only about it being in a locked container when being transported in a vehicle (and believe it or not -- to and from that vehicle) -- no mention of those trigger or action locks, to my recollection, so I think that'd be unnecessary. The locking panniers and top box should be enough once you get it to the bike. Note that I've probably committed a misdemeanor on several occasions (for a minute or so at a time) in storing my gun in the locked luggage (when I was not doing it in my garage).

Remember that it also can't be loaded when transporting it to, from or in a vehicle, even if it's in a locked container.

(I'm all primed for a political rant here).
One of my friends is a CHP (rides an FJR in his off time) and he says the laws are so stupid here he does not enforce most some of them.
Yeah, Jeff -- I could go off on a rant on this, too. Makes very little sense to me to have enacted such a confusing mess that people can be in violation without even knowing it. (And that leaves another angry rant about whether some of this crap should even BE a violation!!) Your friend is smart and reasonable. I mean -- when you get different answers from cops, and it's as damn difficult to sort out as it is for me, something is way wrong with the mess they've enacted!!! Even the DOJ's summary off their website leaves gaps in what turn out to be common situational questions. They direct you to consult a cop or a lawyer. Good luck finding a lawyer who has that info anywhere near committed to memory! And as I said, you get multiple answers from cops and lawyers on some confusing issues. Shouldn't the DOJ publication be the ultimate answer?? :angry:

I will shortly have a Utah CCW which will cover 30 states (NOT California) so I will be covered most places I would go.
I've considered the same, and began to look into where to take the Utah course to allow that. Then I got too busy and sidetracked. If you've got it figured out, send me a PM?

I got a Utah CCW the same time I took the NM CCW, just had to send them a picture and one set of prints. I'm good in most CCW states :assassin:

We like to pull the guns out somewhere along the ride and bang away at targets. I also like having one in the room at the end of the day just becuase you never know and I for one like to be prepared.... If I decide I need it on the road I am already in a world of hurt. Our bikes can get us away from harms way in most cases and within say 10 seconds I could marry the clip to the gun if needed factoring in how long it would take to open panniers. At the end of the say, I just feel better having it close and wished we lived in a state where I could keep it on my person.

From the years of concealed carry - w/permit - and the multiple defensive handgun classes my wife and I have taken, I have

learned that rarely do you ever have the time to think about what, where, and from whom the threat arrives. It's

pretty much reacting based on repetitious training and common sense tactics. So, if you want to carry a gun - legally or otherwise - know at a minimum a couple of things.... what liabilities you assume (differs by state) in drawing and/or using a weapon, and secondly the fact that it's about as useful as a rock without a magazine already inserted.

I would strongly advise anyone considering carrying a handgun to take a min of one weekend in a defensive handgun

class. Ya, I know what you're thinking, 'had a .22 at 12 yrs, shotty at 16, and .308 at 18' . That doesn't count, in my

book anyway, and I grew up in Alaska. It's a whole different league when you may be forced into defending your life. You'll learn a lot about yourself under duress, and how to react in a proper manner. Not to mention the overview most classes offer on the legal system and how your decision making can affect the court's view of your actions.

We like to pull the guns out somewhere along the ride and bang away at targets. I also like having one in the room at the end of the day just becuase you never know and I for one like to be prepared.... If I decide I need it on the road I am already in a world of hurt. Our bikes can get us away from harms way in most cases and within say 10 seconds I could marry the clip to the gun if needed factoring in how long it would take to open panniers. At the end of the say, I just feel better having it close and wished we lived in a state where I could keep it on my person.
This generated a picture in my head is of you riding down some back road plinking at signs and poor little furry things from your fjr. :gun:

Gotta love Arizona. :rolleyes: Open carry state. When I ride in AZ my Glock 19C is on my side with 15 in the mag and one in the snout. I always check the laws of any state I ride through to be safe. NRA website.

The link to this story comes courtesy of the LDRider list. It's an interesting article about what CAN happen when carrying on a bike. LINK

The link to this story comes courtesy of the LDRider list. It's an interesting article about what CAN happen when carrying on a bike. LINK
Yep -- it happens. **string of curse words omitted due to political content**

And people ask how the cops might locate such a loaded weapon in a locked saddle bag. Lotsa ways, more or less like these:

If in an accident, as in the reported case, if the bike needs to be towed or stored, the cops need to inventory what is there, so that search is permissible. That's one way. Any probable cause to look there for contraband or an illegally carried weapon is another. Or if you open the bag, have access to its contents and the cop has reason to detain, arrest or maybe even cite you for a violation, he has reason to search the immediately accessible area for his protection. There's three. Or you give him permission to get something out of the bag (like ID or insurance info, etc.), which makes at least 4 ways.

You need to know the laws of the states you're going to be in and comply with them, avoid going there with a gun, or weigh your risks of getting caught carrying it illegally (including the cost of losing it after your really nice pistol is impounded and/or confiscated). Of course, there's another alternative if you're a criminal bad ass who doesn't much care about the niceties: just go ahead and carry what you want -- it's not like these kinds of laws are of much concern to you when you have plenty of other things to be arrested for that are a bigger issue.**

** Sorry, Ig -- trying not to be too political here, but sometimes I just can't help myself.

Gotta love Arizona. :rolleyes: Open carry state. When I ride in AZ my Glock 19C is on my side with 15 in the mag and one in the snout.
We don't change the freekin clock times either! I traded my 9mm and mini-14 for my fjr (still have the .357 though)