What is the Weakest Link in All M.C. Riding Apparel?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
The F**king Zipper! :angry:

Is there anyone on this board who has not had a zipper tongue snap in half?

• Harley boots with side zipper: snapped, exchanged boots, snapped again.
  • Aerostitch: right sleeve zipper and (just yesterday) one of two main front zippers. Try zipping it up (actually, down) with a broken zipper!
  • MotoBoss rain jacket (didn't snap; separated so it doesn't join the teeth when you, you know, zip it).
  • First Gear fabric jacket.
Simple solution: Use a solid tongue; don't go with a freakin' punched-out hole in the middle of the tongue!

Jb

• Aerostitch: right sleeve zipper and (just yesterday) one of two main front zippers. Try zipping it up (actually, down) with a broken zipper!
  • MotoBoss rain jacket (didn't snap; separated so it doesn't join the teeth when you, you know, zip it).
Simple solution: Use a solid tongue; don't go with a freakin' punched-out hole in the middle of the tongue!
Jb
Does this mean I shouldn't go ahead with the piercing?

I hate zippers! So does Big Jim. :blink:
[SIZE=24pt]TMI!!![/SIZE] :dribble: But don't you mean "little Jim" or "Jimmy"? :rolleyes:

The F**king Zipper!
Absolutely! I've had the leg zipper on FirstGear overpants split open during a 15 mph lowside (front tire hit a puddle of water).

THE final straw that made my decision for the CyclePort mesh gear. The zippers are very stout and have a substantial protective flap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jb
The simple solution you gorilla https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//style_emoti...lt/rolleyes.gif

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//style_emoti...lt/rolleyes.gif is to take it easier on your zippers. Don't grab them and yank them, if they get stuck ease back and clear it from where it caught in the liner or whatever.

Silicone spray them yearly to keep them working smoothly.

clip off the broken ones at the base, and replace with a key ring (though the zipper "eye"). It's actually easier to zip, especially with gloves on.....

Jb
Is it a 'weight' thing?

This thread is a jinx! I've never had a problem with any zippers and, after reading this thread, was putting on my riding pants and the zipper on the pocket broke. :angry:

clip off the broken ones at the base, and replace with a key ring (though the zipper "eye"). It's actually easier to zip, especially with gloves on.....
Yep! And you can attach a mulitude of different style zipper pulls to the keyring.

Er...uhm...so I've heard. :rolleyes:

Yup

They always jam when I'm riding, and I need two hands to get 'em operating properly again.

Two hands on the zipper leaves how many hands on the controls?

i used to gauge if my 'stich was getting too small for me (yes, how small the suit was getting for me, NOT how fat i was getting for it ( :) by when the sleeve zipper pull would snap off from my trying to get it all the way zipped.

simple solution is to get some leather shoelaces, and snake those thru the pulls, so you're pulling on the leather, not the pull.

to repair, try zrk

https://www.zipperrescue.com/

they've been around a while, and are very informative and helpful.

and until that arrives, get thee a big-ass paperclip. ( :

simple solution is to get some leather shoelaces, and snake those thru the pulls, so you're pulling on the leather, not the pull.
I've done the same thing with my Frey Daytona boots, plus siliconing the zippers once a year or so.