What manufacture makes good batteries for FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brodie is currently testing a new Lithium Ion battery from Shorai.

You can check out the thread here:

Shorai Battery Install

The Lithium Ion batteries in general provides better performance and have a longer lifespan amoung other advantages.

Gunny! +1
Brodie is currently testing a new Lithium Ion battery from Shorai.

You can check out the thread here:

Shorai Battery Install

The Lithium Ion batteries in general provides better performance and have a longer lifespan amoung other advantages.
I'm not sure how proven this is. Brodie is trying this out for us and I think one or two others have made the change. It's pricey but we're all intersted on how it performs. So far Brodie loves it and says it kicks but to his old OEM on cranking power.

Is it showing any signs of dying (slower cranking, etc)?

If not keep going. Although if you're going for a long multi day ride ya may want to rethink that.

I'm not sure if these batteries are like a car and just suddenly die with no indication. I replaced mine becaus it was slowing down and a long ride was coming up, plus I didn't know when or if it had been replaced. I had around 40K on the bike at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
These seem to work for me..

FJR8INCHEDITEDCLEAR.jpg

Granted they are space hogs.

Our Bustanut attempted a 'Greener' approach than batteries but almost got pulled into the blading...

1237999744_uCfLg-L.jpg

Also discovered that it only worked well on windy days ;)

At the risk of being on topic, MotoBatt's battery has excellent specifications and test results. I will probably buy a MotoBatt when I need a replacement for my WestCo battery. Pashnit has the YT14BBS MBT12B4 ~ $65.00

I agree Motobatt specs do look very good. I just wonder if it fits like the OEM, I hope I dont have to cut anything out.

At the risk of being on topic, MotoBatt's battery has excellent specifications and test results. I will probably buy a MotoBatt when I need a replacement for my WestCo battery. Pashnit has the YT14BBS MBT12B4 ~ $65.00

I agree Motobatt specs do look very good. I just wonder if it fits like the OEM, I hope I dont have to cut anything out.
The stock battery's dimensions:

Length 6"

Width 2 3/4"

Height 5 3/4"

Weight 10.1lbs

The Motobatt's dimensions:

Length 5.91"

Width 2.76"

Height 5.71"

Weight 11.2 lbs

The Motobatt should drop right in. The reason that the dimensions are not exactly equal is that some battery dimensions have to be converted from 150mm x 70mm x 45mm and there is number rounding for convenience.

I just bought one of these Maintenance Free BatteryColor- --, Size- YT14B-BSSKU# 275612 but really know nothing about how good or bad it is.

Only selected this one cause I had the $'s in my PayPal to cover it.

Anyone know if this is a decent battery.....POS??

Uh-oh....I screwed up the link, it's non-clickable....sorry.

...Maintenance Free BatteryColor- --, Size- YT14B-BSSKU# 275612...Anyone know if this is a decent battery.....POS??

Uh-oh....I screwed up the link, it's non-clickable....sorry.
Link doesn't matter. What is the name on the battery? P/N YT14B-BS only identifies it as being like a Yuasa -- it specifies that it is a 12 volt, 12 AH battery that is 150mm x 70mm x 45mm but doesn't identify the actual manufacturer.

The stock battery's dimensions:

Length 6"

Width 2 3/4"

Height 5 3/4"

Weight 10.1lbs

The Motobatt's dimensions:

Length 5.91"

Width 2.76"

Height 5.71"

Weight 11.2 lbs

The Motobatt should drop right in. The reason that the dimensions are not exactly equal is that some battery dimensions have to be converted from 150mm x 70mm x 45mm and there is number rounding for convenience.
Wonder why the 10% (1.1#)increase in weight?

Wonder why the 10% (1.1#)increase in weight?
If the weight is properly implemented lead (Pb) and acid = better electrical performance. The MotoBatt seems to backup the promise of better performance with real world demonstrable results of longer useful power delivery and better durability. The MotoBatt claims 13 AH and 175 CCA. This is one time where the claims seem to have some merit with the extra guts in the battery to back them up. If the extra weight is a problem, an additional ~$65 will move you up to a Shorai LFX14A1-BS12 which Brodie is testing for us.