What mods/upgrades are a must for my new 2015 FJR 1300 ES ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to go with most of the crowd. Ride it first then decide what you need.

Certain things are going to be personal preference. Seat, windshield, handlebars etc are all going to be a personal

choice. I have no problem with the stock windshield and handlebars. I have no plans to change them. I did put on a corbin seat and smuggler, but that was just because I wanted to. I just don't like top boxes and side cases. So I got a

smuggler. Certainly not something you need, just personal preference. I really didn't have a big problem with the stock

seat certainly the most comfortable stock seat I have ever sat on.

I guess sliders would be great, but just don't drop it. ;-)

If your tall with longerish legs - you might want to think about side protection as stated - my hint would be, the highway pegs give comfort for long drives. Putting Highway pegs on Canyon cages really got your legs much further forward then the other option off the motor....

The cages IMO offer one of the best add ons to the bike for comfort...

Helibridge. Ram mount for iphone/gps,actual windshield (stock is a joke, yamaha's touring shield is a great start).

Eh fellow Canadian!

Do you need a top box? If so, Givi with the SR357 Rack

Ride for about 500km in various wind and also various roads, from secondary to primary with cagers to determine how the shield does for ya.

Play with the suspension on the ES. Sure does make a difference all the settings.

Do at least a 500km day to see how the seat does for ya and the ergonomics of the adjustable bars.(I ended up bringing mine closer).

Stock radiator guard is okay, but I'm upgrading to a better unit.

If you park on soft surfaces, might need a wider foot for the stand.

Oh and pics please when you get er!

Congrats!!

A lot of the suggestions are about your comfort (seat, risers, windscreens) that are best decided after thorough personal testing. I like the ones that are independent of that, but make you safer, like Garould said. Louder horns to replace the stock peepers are great (I just installed a set of PIAA compact sport horns, and LOVE 'em.

"Canada" is a pretty big place. Do you ride in the big-city traffic in Montreal or Toronto? The wild mountain roads of Alberta? Long distance tours, Iron Butt rides, lots of night riding? You can get your input customized a little depending on all that. But in any case, I always recommend more lighting, front and back. I'm personally sold on LED lights for brightness, conspicuity, and power consumption. Lots of discussion about all that with a little searching. Welcome to the forum.

I'm 6-0", with a 34" inseam (High Pockets PANTS). This is my 2nd FJR, and I put 60,000 miles on the first one.

1. I'd start with something non-ergonomic - electrical. Think about what 12V accessories you will want and get them now. Here's why - without a doubt, my biggest PITA with my first bike was dealing with electrical gremlins associated with my 12V accessory farkles. I bought them one at a time and ended up with this ridiculous rats nest wiring harness that was both an embarrassment and a curse. Purchase a FZ-1 Fuse Block and mount it under the rider's seat. The FZ-1 is a great F/B because it comes with a heavy duty relay and you can switch each circuit from "always on" to "ignition on" and visa versa simply by just moving the fuse. You can pick up a relay trigger source of power from the license plate light wire right next to where you will be mounting the F/B. Then I'd run ONE set of wires from the battery, and build my custom wiring loom to include ALL of my accessories at once - shrink wrap and tie wrap everything super water tight using HIGH QUALITY connectors. That's what I'd do.... wait a minute, that's exactly what I did!!! You can read about it in a thread entitled "Farkling Pants".

2. Opinions on windscreens are like pie holes and crap holes... everybody's got one. This much I know - a barn door won't work at high speed (80 mph +) on the slab in DIRTY AIR - getting around a lot of 18-wheelers in a high cross wind, for example. However, for 99% of all conditions, the Cee Bailey Sport seems to work well. Yesterday, on a desolate section of the slab in clean conditions, I ran the cruise control up to 102 (max speed setting) and held it there for 2-4 miles. I could have held it there all day. Rock solid. The tinted screen look bad-ass too.

3. If you are going to ride more than 100 miles in any given day, then you really should treat yourself to an aftermarket seat. Russel Day Long wants to build a customized tractor seat that COMPLETELY covers every square millimeter of your tushy. He will adjust the seat location front or back a smidge to suite your leg and arm length. Then he wants to put you in that extremely comfortable lazy boy and YOU CANNOT MOVE.

Seth Laam has a different perspective. He will build you a customized semi-tractor seat that will allow the distribution of your arse-load, but not quite as much as RDL. As a trade off, if you desire, you get to move a little in the twisties, shifting your weight back and forth.

I don't know much about the other seat guys. If you are not planning to ever ride more than 100 miles in a day, then the FJR is not really the bike for you. Go ahead and trade it on a sport bike or a pirate ship.

3. It's a 600 pound bike dry, and it ridden like it's meant to, will be loaded with 75-200 more pounds of gas, crap and peeps, not counting yourself. The likelihood of a tip-over is pretty good. Frame sliders, at minimum, are really a must.

4. If you are planning to install a top box, there have been an incidence of the stock rear rack (plastic) failing. There have also been a lesser incidence of the rear frame cracking - both issues are from the high load of a top box. At a minimum, the Givi SR-357 rear rack will do a much better job of distributing the load. Another option is to purchase the "Stiffy Kit" from forum member Garauld, who ingeniously designed a channel-section-based way to greatly stiffen the rear frame without any cutting or welding.

I think the Givi V-46 top box strikes a nice compromise between looks and cargo carrying capability.

5. I'd hold off on bar risers until you ride the bike a while, and make a decision regarding your seat. I moved the bars to the rear setting and it was close for me. Then after the Seth Laam seat, it's really nice. I had 1" heli-bar risers on my Gen 1 bike, but don't need them for this one.

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your new FJR. Welcome to the madness!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: