What? No New Zealand region?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
Just got a message from my father who is driving around New Zealand at the moment.

...The New Zealand countryside is quite simply beautiful. The only problem are the winding roads. I have never before driven roads as twisty and winding as these are. For those that drive motorcycles, this would be motorcycle heaven for you. Almost all roads are paved so driving is easy except that on the secondary roads every corner or curve is posted at a different speed. So you never know what is coming around the next corner. ...
I've always wanted to go there and now dad's 'problem' has bumped it up on my places to ride list! :)

Man...another place to want to go...that I won't have money for.
Thanks for the post. ;)
Two years ago I started to plan a New Zealand trip to run the Rusty Nuts MC Southern Cross Road Rally. A six day ride to the 4 corners of New Zealand with 130 crazed NZ LD riders. Life got in the way or I would have been leaving in just a couple of weeks :dribble:

Flight prices are down some but the exchange rate has gone from $1.26 USD to each NZ dollar to $2.00 making things over there pretty resonable. Some day, soon!!

The original insperation

downfromHomerTunnel.jpg

Burt Munro Specials at the local hardware store. "Isle 5 weed wackers and Burt Munro Specials"

06.jpg

The original insperation
Man that looks pretty...

Just curious...how much $$ was this trip budgeted for?
My first set of numbers were very conservitive, for a 3 week trip $2,000 for a flight, $2,000 for bike rental (F650GS) and $2,000 for food, lodging, fuel and other stuff. Right now I think I could get a flight for $1600 or $1700 and with the rate of exchange cut more from the bike and other expensives. I was budgeting $100 a day for food, lodging, ect. but I think that would be real high. If you were splitting the lodging with another rider or staying in Hostels or what they call Back Packer Lodges you could cut that a lot. $6000 very comfortably, $5000 still pretty easy.

Oh, Back Packer Lodges :chickawow:

245199307-M.jpg

Just got a message from my father who is driving around New Zealand at the moment.
...The New Zealand countryside is quite simply beautiful. The only problem are the winding roads. I have never before driven roads as twisty and winding as these are. For those that drive motorcycles, this would be motorcycle heaven for you. Almost all roads are paved so driving is easy except that on the secondary roads every corner or curve is posted at a different speed. So you never know what is coming around the next corner. ...
I've always wanted to go there and now dad's 'problem' has bumped it up on my places to ride list! :)
Gawd!! What a dilemna...

Time to search for MC rentals in NZ. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a tour of both islands five years ago and words cannot describe the beauty of New Zealand. The people are marvelous, the food outstanding, the roads great. The only bad thing about New Zealand is the length of travel in the air, But then, its a good thing its so far away or we would have screwed it up by now.

There are many options available for touring. I selected a self guided option where the service supplier provided the motorcycle and made the over night arrangements at cities I selected. It doesn't take too long to get acclimated to riding on the 'wrong' side of the road but one can easily get distracted by the beauty of the countryside.

I can't recall total expenses but it was in the area of $6000 including travel, bike rental, food, and accommodations. Save up enough money and vacation time to spend at least 3 weeks total travel time.

One final note, don't plan on taking any funny stuff into the country. My bags were checked by three different dogs before I could leave the airport.

I didn't ride a bike while there, but I spent 8 months there about 24 years ago, working as a whitewater rafting guide. Spent most of my time on the South Island in Queenstown and near Christchurch. Traveled widely and absolutely loved it. I shall return one day, you can be sure. Of the 40'ish countries I've visited, it's very high on the list.

By the way, my uncle who owns a BMW in Chico, CA did a bike swap with a guy in New Zealand. He swapped for the identical bike he owned down there, then the Kiwi BMW owner came and used his bike for a couple of weeks. Great way to set it up. (I know there are legal concerns, but my uncle's a lawyer. You can bet he had things worked out properly.)

As Yooper says, the place is nearly ideal. Back in 1985 when I was there, it was more like living in 1955. Wonderful.

Update on NZ.

Tickets from St. Louis to here cost me $1135 r/t

Decent hotels in downtown Auckland go for $50.

Will check prices on motorcycle rentals.

Haven't seen a solitary FJR yet, but still looking.

Exchange rate is basically $1USD = $2NZD

Then there's that riding on the wrong side of the road thing. Figure until that becomes intuitive, I'd better ride something w/ an airbag.

Update on NZ.

Then there's that riding on the wrong side of the road thing. Figure until that becomes intuitive, I'd better ride something w/ an airbag.
Are YOU over there in NZ right now? What gives...I thought you were a Missouri man?

I toured NZ, the South Island, in January, 2007. Spent about twelve days on a bike and it was wonderful. The only problem is getting there and back. About twenty hours in the air each way, depending on where you're located. If you go, I suggest contacting Ian and John Fitzwater. They operate GoNZtours, and excellent touring company.

The north and south islands basically have a mountain range running down the middle, which makes for extreme terrain and climate changes. You can go from rain forests, to beaches to glaciers all in one day. The kiwis are very accomodating and friendly. You will be reminded of what this country looked like in the 1950's. Small secondary roads, few chain stores and small towns dot the country side. The food is good and the local wines are great. Go during our winter, as December, January and February are their summer months.

You will have to learn to ride on the left side of the road, but that only takes about a day to get used to, however, in the cities, you will need to be on your toes. It's a little pricey, but everyone should do this at least once.

Enjoy!

Update on NZ.

Are YOU over there in NZ right now? What gives...I thought you were a Missouri man?
Yes, I'm here now. Here's a link for rentals: https://www.gotournz.com/

I'm going to check into renting a Kawasaki Councours (my previous bike) for $100USD for a day with a $50 surcharge for a short term rental. I'll let you know how it goes.

And, here is another link to other companies: https://www.travelplanner.co.nz/transport/motorcycle.cfm

Last edited by a moderator: