What should I offer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viperspeed99

Reaction score
Thought I'd make use of the wealth of information around here and ask for some help in my FJR quest. I found this nice example, but I am having a hard time deciding how good of a deal this is.

FJR1300AE

Bike looks nice and clean, and is basically exactly what I am looking for. Problem is, it's just a smidge outside of what I'm comfortable spending on a bike right now.

I've seen similar bikes for less, albeit sold already, but those were private sellers. I have good financing set up already, I just need to know if this price is already fair, or if I could offer him less, and if so, how much?

Any info is appreciated.

Josh

I would say no more than $7500. I bought my '06 for $6500 last Oct w/ 12k on the clock. I believe I scored, but you can too! Check Craigslist often.

Tell them it's missing a clutch lever and you will give them $7k for it! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing for certain, especially this time of year a really good deal don't last long. So you gotta move fast.

I stopped and eyeballed that '07AE in Stuart. Waaaay over priced. $7500 Max. If they say NO, just walk away. That bike has been ther for a long time. :)

I stopped and eyeballed that '07AE in Stuart. Waaaay over priced. $7500 Max. If they say NO, just walk away. That bike has been ther for a long time. :)

Wow, I appreciate that. The good news is, The one A41Billy linked in Palm Bay is still for sale. I'm going in the morning to look at it. Score!!! If the bike is in half the condition that the seller says it is, it's gonna be perfect.

Now to do some research and see what types of things I need to look at on a used FJR.

Josh

Good luck with the search. There are a lot of great buys out there now...be patient and you'll find the right bike.

A current good rule of thumb is multiply the model year by 1000 and that's your price. Accessories or extremely low miles add little actual value, extremely high miles will call for a significant discount. Check out the forum classifieds and see which bikes move, that's your indication of current pricing.

Have fun!

--G

Thought I'd update my post with the great news. I wound up being able to buy this

2007 FJR1300AE

DayOne1.jpg

Got if for the $6500 which was already a great deal, but this bike also came with;

V-stream and OEM windshield

Frame sliders

Throttlemiester bar ends

Go Cruise cruise control

Back rest

Lizard Lights

Corbin front and rear seats, along with the factory seats

Scorpio SR-i600 alarm

FJR bike cover

Factory Service Manual

and a stack of receipts for all the service done including $1000 in February for the 26k mile service and new rear tire.

All in all, I think I got a pretty good deal. I know the aftermarket stuff doesn't always pay for itself for the seller, but it sure adds a lot of value for the buyer(me)!

Anyway, glad to have my FJR now, time for the wife and I to start putting some miles on her.

Josh

Congratulations and welcome to the forum as a "full" member! AFAIAC, aftermarket farkles don't add much to the value of a used bike--unless you'd be wanting them anyway. Then they add whatever you'd have paid to get 'em. And you got some good ones, I think. And maybe some not so hot? Lizard Lights? Well. . . But the cruise control, sliders, back rest, all good. Corbin seat? Well, at least you'll have something to sit on while somebody reworks your stockers, or maybe something to trade to somebody who wants to sit on an iron plank. Ouch. Very nice that big 26K service has been done (and paid for). Overall, great bike at a good price, I'm thinking.

Notice it's been lowered. Is that something you wanted? Can be undone, I'm sure, if you want. After all, you don't want to scrape hard parts in the curves if you can help it. Oh, you're in Florida . . . :rolleyes:

Congratulations and welcome to the forum as a "full" member! AFAIAC, aftermarket farkles don't add much to the value of a used bike--unless you'd be wanting them anyway. Then they add whatever you'd have paid to get 'em. And you got some good ones, I think. And maybe some not so hot? Lizard Lights? Well. . . But the cruise control, sliders, back rest, all good. Corbin seat? Well, at least you'll have something to sit on while somebody reworks your stockers, or maybe something to trade to somebody who wants to sit on an iron plank. Ouch. Very nice that big 26K service has been done (and paid for). Overall, great bike at a good price, I'm thinking.

Notice it's been lowered. Is that something you wanted? Can be undone, I'm sure, if you want. After all, you don't want to scrape hard parts in the curves if you can help it. Oh, you're in Florida . . . :rolleyes:
Like I said, good price on the bike without the extras, they are just the icing on the cake. You're right about the Corbin seats, not to my liking, I was going to sell them, but you are correct, I will need something when I send my stockers out. I actually like the lowering, a stock FJR sits a tad high for me so it works. If I start scraping hard parts when I'm out of state, I can always put it back. :)

Josh

Congrats on the purchase!! Looks great and nice price! :) If you don't like the Corbin seat I have seen them selling here for $300 to $500, watching the purchase price go down after the sale is always nice.

On the bike being lowered, I'm 5' 8" (30" inseam) and really don't have much trouble and I haven't lowered mine. My feet aren't flat, heel isn't touching, but the rest of my foot is firmly on the ground; stop lights/signs, moving it around in the garage isn't a problem.

That's my 2 cents worth. Enjoy that bike, you made a great choice!!

Thought I'd update my post with the great news. I wound up being able to buy this

2007 FJR1300AE

DayOne1.jpg

Got if for the $6500 which was already a great deal, but this bike also came with;

V-stream and OEM windshield

Frame sliders

Throttlemiester bar ends

Go Cruise cruise control

Back rest

Lizard Lights

Corbin front and rear seats, along with the factory seats

Scorpio SR-i600 alarm

FJR bike cover

Factory Service Manual

and a stack of receipts for all the service done including $1000 in February for the 26k mile service and new rear tire.

All in all, I think I got a pretty good deal. I know the aftermarket stuff doesn't always pay for itself for the seller, but it sure adds a lot of value for the buyer(me)!

Anyway, glad to have my FJR now, time for the wife and I to start putting some miles on her.

Josh
SCORE! Nice bike at a great price. Enjoy your new ride.

Good deal Viper.. Time to enjoy her :)

It will take ya a couple of trips before you get use to no hand-jobs. I actually was going to take mine back to the dealer to trade her in for a hand job model but my dealer said wait a while bit bro, you only got 78 miles on it and your still used to a plain ole hand-job AND If your not totally happy after 500 miles I will still give you a full refund towards the A model. Now how could I beat that?

Well he was right but it didn't take me 500mi to find out what a joy the AE really is :)

You got a great deal so you should feel good. Not so good for some of us thinking about selling our bikes for a new one. :unsure: