What TBS Tool Do You Use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! This is great info. The Morgan sounds like perhaps the easiest to use. Now just need to decide whether to break the large or small piggy bank. :greedy:

I have one, it works well, I believe I know how it works, but am most likely wrong, so I reserve the right to not answer at this time.

My understanding of the Morgan Carbune operation is that they have a precision piston of a known and standard weight (stainless steel) floating in a precision column with a precision air space between the piston and column. Vacuum pulls the weighted pistons up in proportional and linear increments as represented by the graph. I believe the pistons are calibrated at the factory to specific columns with the warning that pistons are not interchangeable and should not be switched.

I have both the Morgan and the Motion Pro carb sticks. Against all odds both actually read the same absolute vacuum levels! They even match cylinder to cylinder. Who'd a thunk :unsure: Brundog's experience differs, I dunno why.

The Morgan is easier to handle and you don't have to worry about column separation the way you do with mercury. The Toxic Tune, err, Motion Pro actually has better scale resolution and should result in a more accurate synch.

Note that each heavy red line division on the Morgan is equal to one block on the Toxic Tune

carb%20sticks%20sm.jpg

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
The stainless pistons are precision fit to bushing supports, hence the caution to not mix the pistons up when cleaning-they will not work right after, as each is matched to it's respective bush. When vacumn is applied to the hose end, an equal vacumn is created on the other side of the piston. With no way for atmospheric pressure to get behind the piston, they will accurately reflect the vacumn on the working side. Hence, they can be used in any position-even upside down if necessary. There are instructions as to when upside down may be preferable under certain conditions, such as an extremely strong vac signal. The pistons practically hover as if levitated when no vac signal is present-and are absolutely even at rest. While not indestructable, it appears robustly constructed, and would survive at least an inadvertant drop onto the floor. At least, thats how it all looks to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have to have the thing hanging vertically for it to work right?
Mercury yes, in theory Morgan no. Morgan says their tuner may hang at different angles and still read accurately. Hmm, not the way my Morgan is set up, vacuum absolute readings changes with angle on my tuner. Other people may have a better set up than me. You need to cut tubes and install restrictors at particular lengths to get the Morgan to work properly.

When you look at the pistons are there any seals on them or just a slip fit to the tube?
The stainless steel columns float over Teflon guides.

I don't understand the ...toxicity of the mercury. ...It is in a sealed container so it is not harmfull at all...unless you drop it
Yup, true, it is sealed and all. Then life happens and stuff goes wrong. Tips, drops, rubber tubes pop off and a healthy rev of the engine lets the engine ingest part of the mercury :bad:

Risk vs. reward still has me reach for the Toxic Tune even though Morgan hangs just a few inches away.

Alan

Morgan says their tuner may hang at different angles and still read accurately. Hmm, not the way my Morgan is set up, vacuum absolute readings changes with angle on my tuner
The readings change likely due to the weight of the pistons, but they still maintain their relationship to each other, which is the essential task it needs to accomplish-balance between cylinders is still relative, you just can't trust the actual readings to reflect the true vacumn numbers. I still have 2 Motion Pro merc gauges, but prefer the Morgan for it's nice damping and compact size-it's easier to set up on the bike rather than have it hanging, with little fear of a spill should it tip-always a concern with a merc gauge.

Well I ordered the Morgan. Soon I'll be able to smooth out this beast again. I'm actually thinking that the TBS's the dealer did for me were just the idle air screw sync. Mine will most likely be the first 4K sync this bike has had. Thanks again to all for your advice and comments.