What to add to a bone stock FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What frame sliders do you all recommend?

I come off a Suzuki Boulevard C90. My back didn't like that bike too much. I would most certainly do safety add-ons first followed by comfort add-ons. I wouldn't want to play with the performance side. This bike will be fast enough. I keep my racing to the winter time on the snowmobile.
I bought these OES sliders (the extended version) https://www.oesaccess...-12FJR1300.html

Decent price and quick, easy installation.

+1

Installation was ridiculously quick and easy, they don't look bad at all. Since there were already tipover scratches right where the right side slider installed I was mad at my stupid self for not doing this when we got the bike. Of course if I had only known about this forum...

Mine came with a set on it, installed by the former owner of it after it fell over over at a gas station and scratched

it up not long after he purchased it new....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there:

I'm the brand new owner of a 07 FJR that has barely any miles on it. I'm a tall guy 6'-3 1/2". What should be the first things I should do with this bike. Seat, windshield, lowering pegs? I'll be riding it this coming Wednesday. :)
Even tho she has low miles, first thing to do is to get the maintenance up to date. Fluids, tires, factory recalls, etc. If you haven't already, read this: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8660

As the farkles go, like others have said, ride it for a while and you will see which ones you need.

I agree with most of the others, ride it first, at lest one or two thousand miles.

You will need to get used to a lot of things on the stock configuration. Then add one thing at a time until it is where you want it.

I will also, as others have, recommend the OES extended version frame sliders. That's a must do it first application.

Enjoy your FJR, I know you will. ;)

I come off a Suzuki Boulevard C90. My back didn't like that bike too much. I would most certainly do safety add-ons first followed by comfort add-ons. I wouldn't want to play with the performance side. This bike will be fast enough. I keep my racing to the winter time on the snowmobile.
I bought these OES sliders (the extended version) https://www.oesaccess...-12FJR1300.html

+1

Installation was ridiculously quick and easy, they don't look bad at all. Since there were already tipover scratches right where the right side slider installed I was mad at my stupid self for not doing this when we got the bike. Of course if I had only known about this forum...
Another option:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/POLISHED-FJR1300-Frame-Sliders-Yamaha-06-09-NO-CUT-Made-in-the-USA-/390426530562?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae73c1302&vxp=mtr#ht_2082wt_1396[/img]

Polished 6061 billet. For $30 shipped it's a killer deal if you like the look over the black ones.

+1 on ride the bike for a while and search this forum for all the improvements and farkles that others have made on Gen 2's and your year in particular. I've run out of most of the major things to do; (exhaust, PCIII, seat, lights, top box, fork, heated grips, etc., etc.) so in order to treat my farkle disease, I've been inventing things to do such as; LED lighted glove box and saddle bags. Welcome to the family.

I bought these OES sliders (the extended version) https://www.oesaccessories.com/06-12FJR1300.html

I just got a pair of these and love them, as everyone seems to. But I wanted to add that the shipping time was...remarkable. Somehow they got from Tennessee to Northern Ohio in 24 hours by standard mail. The only explanation is that the dude on the phone shipped them before I ordered them. <_<

One other thing that may be a no-brainer:

If the rumors are to be believed (and I've chosen to believe them), then replacing your front headlights after a stone impact is ridiculously expensive. Cee Bailey makes relatively inexpensive plastic headlight covers (~$40 US) that will prevent or mitigate damage to your headlights.

My only complaint is the little 3M Dual Lock discs that attach the shields. Dual Locks are like Velcro but with no fuzzy side - both sides are hooks. Anyway, they're white, and stick out like eight sore thumbs on the bike. Black would have been a much better choice in my opinion.

But the shields themselves are excellent quality.

One other thing that may be a no-brainer:

If the rumors are to be believed (and I've chosen to believe them), then replacing your front headlights after a stone impact is ridiculously expensive. Cee Bailey makes relatively inexpensive plastic headlight covers (~$40 US) that will prevent or mitigate damage to your headlights.

My only complaint is the little 3M Dual Lock discs that attach the shields. Dual Locks are like Velcro but with no fuzzy side - both sides are hooks. Anyway, they're white, and stick out like eight sore thumbs on the bike. Black would have been a much better choice in my opinion.

But the shields themselves are excellent quality.
Agreed all around. I forgot about those but I did put those on as well.

Did I just make a mistake? I'm picking up the bike tomorrow. I just ran the VIN at the local Yamaha dealer and the model number came back FJR13AEWS.

I had no idea that I bought the autoclutch version of the FJR. Am I going to be sorry I bought this bike? Is this machine build for sissies? How could I be sooo stupid!! Well, next time I better open my eyes wide and look better at the pictures as they definitely show a left handlebar without a clutch lever. Luckily I practically stole the bike, so if I hate it, I can easily sell it at a profit.

Did I just make a mistake? I'm picking up the bike tomorrow. I just ran the VIN at the local Yamaha dealer and the model number came back FJR13AEWS.

I had no idea that I bought the autoclutch version of the FJR. Am I going to be sorry I bought this bike? Is this machine build for sissies? How could I be sooo stupid!!
You're already regretting it.

Get out of it and buy the standard clutch if you can without penalty. Next time, don't let the dealer slip that one past you. :)

I had no idea that I bought the autoclutch version of the FJR. Am I going to be sorry I bought this bike? Is this machine build for sissies? How could I be sooo stupid!! Well, next time I better open my eyes wide and look better at the pictures as they definitely show a left handlebar without a clutch lever. Luckily I practically stole the bike, so if I hate it, I can easily sell it at a profit.

I know what else you need! A clutch!!!! :yahoo:

2 basic additions when first starting out:

Miles

Gas

as for frame sliders; avoid the metal ones. we've seen the impact of those when they take an impact. get something that absorbs the hit instead of transferring it to the frame.

Suggesting you don't beat yourself up too badly about the AE--uh--misunderstanding. The ones who got it all seem to like it. At least they say they do, but what do they know? They're all pussies. :p

OK, kidding. It's too bad if you feel like you're kind of getting stuck with something you didn't choose, and I hope they'll let you re-do the deal if you want. I think you'd have pretty good grounds to demand it, myself, but it's well beyond my expertise. Let us know how it works out, and good luck.

as for frame sliders; avoid the metal ones. we've seen the impact of those when they take an impact. get something that absorbs the hit instead of transferring it to the frame.
Agreed! The OES sliders others have mentioned seemed to fit this bill. They have metal inserts to allow them to stay torqued to specifications, yet the body is made of a high density plastic to absorb and dissipate energy.

Sorry to hear that the FJR model they're offering isn't what you were expecting. :(

Now when you add your lever tassels they will only be on one side. Looking at it another way you will have a spare. There I go again. Wrong forum. The roads around here are already rumbling with loud pipes just wait until Friday.

Being a partially reformed 60's guy, I like to keep it natural, man. The two best things I have added over the last 55K Miles were a Throttle Meister and heat mitigation: under tank shield and a CromeIt thingie (mine's a Gen 1). I also slapped a lot of reflective tape in strategic places. Next up are sliders (not the little hamburgers). WBill

I got mine with a provision that the dealer would take it back if I didn't like it after 500-miles. I will admit it took awhile to get use to it but now I look back and say "why did I ever like hand-jobs?". Remember, you still have to up/shift - down/shift (it's not an automatic or TQ drive!) just no more lever usage.

I don't know how many here do use the handle after 1st but I only used the clutch (on my Katana, Seca) on start outs in 1st anyway and always sync'd the other gears without using the clutch handle. The AE is EXACTLY like that, use the foot shifter at first as you will find it much easier to start your adaption, then go over to the clicker, it's really fun and the shifting is snappy fast (yes, faster than a hand job!).

You (accidentally) made a great choice :)

Report back after you've made the transition and you start to feel like an Indy-Car driver ...slapp'n in/out of those gears :yahoo: