What to add to a bone stock FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new the the board and this bike as well. A very fun bike to ride. It has taken some time to get used to since I came from a VTX 1300 cruiser to this riding position.

FREE Info on riding position. After my first long ride my wrists, knees and back bothered me a lot. Click on this link for the info.

https://kevinhoffberg.com/blog/2008/02/17/learn-how-to-sit-on-your-bike-meet-master-yoda/

Here's a list of stuff I picked up. The rest I will add in time

risers

sliders .... already "tested" those out. this is the first thing I would add

Grip buddy

cramp buster

Things on my list to buy

throttle meister

Sargent seat

Just got back from picking up the bike. Had to trailer it for 6 hrs. It's at home now and tomorrow the cleaning and preening will start. I like it already. From the post above, what is a "cramp buster".

You guys are great. lots of good info. Thanks to all.

I really like my AE. I recently purchased an '09 AE (electronic clutch)FJR. I wanted to replace a bike lost in a fire - NOW, and this was available and at a good price. I had some real concerns, but figured I could always sell it should I really dislike it.

I now have about 600 miles on it, and love it. A total joy in the city traffic, and no problem on country roads, twisties, etc. I do find using the footpeg shift is a bit smoother than the hand shifter, but I am comfortable using either. It did take a little while to for me to get adjusted to it.

I read that some (reviewers and others taking it out for a first ride) have had problems with very low speed handling - the kind where one normally slips the clutch to gain more precise control. The clutch on this model cannot be slipped, but applying some - light - rear braking with your right foot, while applying throttle, achieves the same thing. I rarely need to do that now, since I can definitely feel the clutch engaging (again, this took a little while).

I am truly glad I purchased this model, and I think you will enjoy it if you can get beyond the "real motorcycles have clutches" mentality.

Best of luck and good riding

A few things that I would consider right away (in order to importance):

2. Frame sliders - these will save you $$$ in the event your bike tips over (Motovation and OES are some brands to look at)
  3. Tank protection - this will protect the beautiful paint job on the bike. There are many credible options out there depending on how spendy you want to get
  4. After-market horn - this may protect your arse should some distracted cager decide they want your lane on the highway. Buy a dual horn set-up that will get attention. There are many options out there - just make sure that what you buy will easily fit into the small space available

I agree with others in that you should ride the bike before making any additional mods. Issues that you may encounter could include rear visibility using mirrors, seat comfort, handlebar placement and general bike visibility to others. I hope this helps. Good luck.

DWill

Welcome to the fold my fellow Canadian. Seat time is definitely your first priority on your new mount. Personally I installed the Frame Sliders as my first farkle. And then promptly put on about 1000 km per week for 6 weeks.

You have some great riding out of Ottawa, the Gatineau Hills, The southern townships of Quebec, but you know the good roads, just ride them.

I am not a Cramp Buster fan at all. Infact I would seriously advise one not to use one unless they have already become very comfortable using one. I know a very experienced rider who spent five months recovering from a broken femur thanks to a Crampbuster. Avoid it. Just let you body tell you what you need. I am 6'6" tall with a 37" inseam and have the stock seat, stock bars (no risers) the '03 smaller windscreen, mine is an '04 ABS model and I have 105,000 km on my bike. So seat time is your best farkle.

I added a radiator guard and carbon fibre engine case cover, yes I tour out in the boonies, sometimes alone. Then a Tire pressure monitoring system, no longer available, but new ones do the same job. Top Box for light stuff while touring and easy lockup for helmet etc. My personal list is long, but you will enjoy deciding what suits you.

Now, the most import question is......where are you riding to this summer? Think about Castlegar B.C. in two weeks, for the Canadian FJR owners annual shindig.

Ride safe.

Welcome to the fold my fellow Canadian. Seat time is definitely your first priority on your new mount. Personally I installed the Frame Sliders as my first farkle. And then promptly put on about 1000 km per week for 6 weeks.

You have some great riding out of Ottawa, the Gatineau Hills, The southern townships of Quebec, but you know the good roads, just ride them.

I am not a Cramp Buster fan at all. Infact I would seriously advise one not to use one unless they have already become very comfortable using one. I know a very experienced rider who spent five months recovering from a broken femur thanks to a Crampbuster. Avoid it. Just let you body tell you what you need. I am 6'6" tall with a 37" inseam and have the stock seat, stock bars (no risers) the '03 smaller windscreen, mine is an '04 ABS model and I have 105,000 km on my bike. So seat time is your best farkle.

I added a radiator guard and carbon fibre engine case cover, yes I tour out in the boonies, sometimes alone. Then a Tire pressure monitoring system, no longer available, but new ones do the same job. Top Box for light stuff while touring and easy lockup for helmet etc. My personal list is long, but you will enjoy deciding what suits you.

Now, the most import question is......where are you riding to this summer? Think about Castlegar B.C. in two weeks, for the Canadian FJR owners annual shindig.

Ride safe.
I went on a good ride today and found the seat very uncomfortable. It kept making me slide towards the tank. I obviously don't sit right on this machine. The only other complaint was my right hand was very sore. I had to keep getting off the gas to be able to rest my hand. I did mostly straightaways.

Important to me for comfort is a Sargent Seat, Airhawk Air Pad, Wild Bill Highway Pegs, Cal Sci Windshield.

There are grip puppies, throttlemeister & sliders.

To help power the electricals, the bike has a Eastern Beaver fuse block.

4663991583_3a356f92d9.jpg

4597002453_32266c5984.jpg

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

3708483372_297efc8932.jpg

3708483376_d76db4c70f.jpg

3715490694_130cd89d99.jpg

3639659031_6a5d74ee7f.jpg

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg

My name is Mike, and I'm a Farkleholic

No kidding.

I've never seen so much crap on a bike before. Here in Ontario, if you would just even touch one of those when you are driving, you'll get a fined right away by the local constabularies. Is that a 2 up handle bar riser block. Must be at least 3 inches higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
No kidding.

I've never seen so much crap on a bike before. Here in Ontario, if you would just even touch one of those when you are driving, you'll get a fined right away by the local constabularies. Is that a 2 up handle bar riser block. Must be at least 3 inches higher.
+1, Gunny; nothing tickles my funny bone more than staring at Patriot's FJR, I mean when I am blue I just look at Mike's FJR and I immediately start laughing out loud!

3708483364_2db01fa377.jpg

To help power the electricals, the bike has a Eastern Beaver fuse block...and a nuclear reactor from the USS Enterprise.
fixed.

:D
Good Call there wheatonFJR, the USS Enterprise was supposed to originally have had nine nuclear reactors, but Patriot Mike stole the ninth one to power up his FJR!

"Her eight-reactor propulsion design also fit well with the supercarrier hull designs of the time, with each A2W reactor taking the place of one of the conventional boilers in earlier constructions."

This is still my all time favorite photo, I have shown this pic to my fellow AZ Beemers BMW riding club members to see their reaction: They all think it's a Photoshop work!

3469318274_7c3cf1ea54.jpg

the USS Enterprise was supposed to originally have had nine nuclear reactors, but Patriot Mike stole the ninth one to power up his FJR!
i was going to call BS on this and note that it ran on antimatter until i realized you weren't talking about the NCC-1701.

the USS Enterprise was supposed to originally have had nine nuclear reactors, but Patriot Mike stole the ninth one to power up his FJR!
i was going to call BS on this and note that it ran on antimatter until i realized you weren't talking about the NCC-1701.
Brother Bounce, I am not saying that Niehart is really old: But, Dave B. shipped out to Asia aboard this Enterprise! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

enterprise1a.jpg

Ride safe.
I went on a good ride today and found the seat very uncomfortable. It kept making me slide towards the tank. I obviously don't sit right on this machine. The only other complaint was my right hand was very sore. I had to keep getting off the gas to be able to rest my hand. I did mostly straightaways.
Read this blog post: Master Yoda

The cramp buster will help your right wrist. I actually prefer the standard model over the wider one, and as rocketdoc notes they are not for everyone. Eventually you might want to install a throttle lock.

Did you install the Slider's yet??

Hi ! I too am new to the world of sport-touring in general and the FJR in particular ... just bought my 07 FJR in March. I took the approach of those who have recommended "ride it first, then decide what you want or need to do to make it fit you". Have a look at this site (https://cycle-ergo.com) to check out how you fit the bike, and the difference that handlebar risers and similar farkles will make to your riding position.

I just returned from my first trip, with nothing added from stock configuration other than something akin to grip puppies. Having ridden 1,250km / 775 miles on my last day, I am thinking very seriously about highway footpegs and a crampbuster and/or throttle lock of some sort. Otherwise the bike was very comfortable in all riding environs.

Good luck!

Suar