what to bring for my first long road trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phugedaboudet

Reaction score
In a couple weeks I'll be taking my first long road trip-700 miles each way-and due to finances/schedule each leg's gotta be done in one day. I've just put on new tires, had the oil changed, rear diff fluid checked, TB synched, and all the fluids topped up.

I want to minimize tools so I need to know what the bare minimum of sockets, allen keys, etc. I should bring. I've got the tire repair kit, and a Slime pump, but can't run the pump off the ciggy lighter cuz it keeps blowing the fuse-don't have time or money to wire in a dedicated socket.

I'm carrying two credit cards just in case there's an issue with buying gas too far apart, got all the jacket liners/rain gear/spare gloves/spare visors for any condition short of blizzards packed. Ibuprofen, allergy and Immodium tablets along with all my prescription meds all set aside. Dog tags with personal info in case of accident. Cell phone and spare battery for use for other problems or communication. GPS for navigation and earplugs, and just picked up a Crampbuster for the throttle since I don't have time to get my electronic cruise control installed.

Anything important I'm missing? I'll be getting a couple shorty bottles of water for my tankbag the night before. Packing normal sneakers and non riding clothes for after I get there, too.

thanks in advance for advice from those who've BTDT.

Pack a spare key somewhere unlocked... just in case you need it.

If you have a battery tender pigtail you could always run your slime pump off of that. You would just have to lose the existing plug and attach an SAE plug instead. Most hardware stores have them.

Sounds like you got it all pretty well covered.

Ride safe and make sure loved ones know your route and time line.

Tim

If you have a battery tender pigtail you could always run your slime pump off of that. You would just have to lose the existing plug and attach an SAE plug instead. Most hardware stores have them.

Axeman,

Could you explain this a little further? I'm trying to visualize what you are describing. I'd like to make that change to my compressor.

Thanks,

Keith

Just an idea: we like to put water bottles in the freezer the night before. You can stash them in such a way that one thaws well ahead of the second. Cold water can be so good. Remember to leave at least 10 percent of the bottle empty to handle expansion of water as it turns to ice.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have one of these coming off your battery for a battery tender, just solder another one on to the cord coming off the slime pump.

236090330.jpg

If you have one of these coming off your battery for a battery tender, just solder another one on to the cord coming off the slime pump.
236090330.jpg
Actually, if you got your Slime Pump new, there should have been 3 types of connections included with it. I use the one above, wired directly to my battery. The fused pig-tail sits just out of the upper fairing by the handle bars and when I need it, I plug the pump directly into the pig-tail. If you bought it new, check your stuff. It should be there and only takes about 10 minutes to get set up.

Do not forget hydration. During a 700 mile day, you can not drink enough water during stops to make up for what you use/lose on the road. Find a way to intake water while on the road; either a Camelbak, Hydrastorm, or some other type of set up so you don't get majorly dehydrated. Even a small cheap 50oz hydration pack is better than trying to drink a liter of fluid per stop.

I also always have a paper map. On long cross country trips, I will take a road Atlas even though I run a GPS. Maps do not require power, will work under most any curcumstance, and won't break if you drop them at a stop. Way reliable backup at a minimum of space and cost.

Other than that, you seem pretty ready to go.

mine was new in a box but didn't come with any connectors other than the ciggy lighter hardwired to the pump. No battery tender setup since my apartment carport is unpowered.

I'm thinking maybe one of those cheap CO2 fillers and a few cartridges for the time being

236090330.jpg
Actually, if you got your Slime Pump new, there should have been 3 types of connections included with it. I use the one above, wired directly to my battery. The fused pig-tail sits just out of the upper fairing by the handle bars and when I need it, I plug the pump directly into the pig-tail. If you bought it new, check your stuff. It should be there and only takes about 10 minutes to get set up.

Do not forget hydration. During a 700 mile day, you can not drink enough water during stops to make up for what you use/lose on the road. Find a way to intake water while on the road; either a Camelbak, Hydrastorm, or some other type of set up so you don't get majorly dehydrated. Even a small cheap 50oz hydration pack is better than trying to drink a liter of fluid per stop.

I also always have a paper map. On long cross country trips, I will take a road Atlas even though I run a GPS. Maps do not require power, will work under most any curcumstance, and won't break if you drop them at a stop. Way reliable backup at a minimum of space and cost.

I don't want to be disparaging, but it's only 700 miles, and you're in San Jose. I'm sure you'll be pretty close to civilization wherever you go in that radius. But the extra key is good. I keep one in the wallet. And you can get a spare made by any locksmith with just a plain metal blank. I'm doing my best to avoid suggesting a spare kidney in an Igloo ice chest, just in case.

Shit! I couldn't avoid it! :D

mine was new in a box but didn't come with any connectors other than the ciggy lighter hardwired to the pump. No battery tender setup since my apartment carport is unpowered.

I'm thinking maybe one of those cheap CO2 fillers and a few cartridges for the time being

as for the route, I know it by heart, having driven it in the van over a dozen times over the last few years. the GPS is mostly for handling stopping points and the potential for going around any accidents.

236090330.jpg

I agree that probably most important item to carry is a spare key, cause if you lose or break you only key you have, none of the other stuff you have with you will do you any good. You've done your maintenance and you have new tires. Depending on what insurance carrier you are with, you might have towing that covers a motorcycle, so you are good to go. All you need now is some fun in your life!

Murphy's law says anything negative you face on the road will more than likely be something you failed to plan for or couldn't control anyway. I would utilize my space to take stuff I want to take, rather than stuff you think you might need "Just in Case". Piss on the "Just in Case" attitude and go have a great time on your first long trip. Ride safe, stay alert and don't ride beyond your ability and we'll be waiting for your ride report (w/pictures) when you get back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phugedaboudet

Go to Road Rider on Monterey Road just south of Tulley in San Jose. They have the battery tender lead that wires onto the positive and negative battery terminals. There is an in line fuse on this lead. Insert a 15 amp fuse and you are good to go for the bike end. I have my battery tender lead tucked behind my right side lowers just in front of the tip out panels.

You don't have to buy the tender, just the lead.

ring_terminal_harness_lg.jpg

Hope this helps.

Brodie