What to do with a spare tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's the OEM Bridgestone, then it's a piece of crap anyways. If it's that tire, I would toss it. There are MUCH better front tires out there.
Abso-frekin-lutely. If it's the BT-021, it will be unridable by 3000 miles, and complete toast by 4000.

Donate it!

I keep a spare set of good used tires for those occasions when a "buddy" is passing through and in need. The PNW gang has tire changers north (me) and south (AuburnFJR) so the entire Sound area is covered. We've helped a few folks out from time to time...one never knows when you might need a tire while traveling! Having a country wide support system is what the forum is about.

--G

This is the type of reading that I like to see. FJR owners helping out other owners. I had a great time at the fall meet and got great info from other forum members.

...you must have not liked the stock tires otherwise you would have replaced just the rear tire with the stocker.

You didn't say why you didn't replace the rear tire with a new stocker so it is hard to answer your question.
I had no problems with the stock tires, but I commute in the rain. So if I'm going to buy a new rear tire, it might as well be one that's made for wet conditions. And since I put a fancy new rain tire on the back, I put a fancy new rain tire on the front too.

So.. no complaints about the stock tires... except that the PR3s are supposed to be great in wet conditions, and I live in the Seattle area.
If I have no issue with tires, I would have replaced the rear tire with the same rear tire again because it is financially prudent. I live in Seattle as well. IMHO, the difference in siped vs, un-siped tires is not a safety difference worth taking advantage of while riding.

If it's the OEM Bridgestone, then it's a piece of crap anyways. If it's that tire, I would toss it. There are MUCH better front tires out there.
Tis true regarding the early '021s. The newer generation 021s last a few more miles and will surely get someone home the 1-2000 odd miles. After all, we're talking about a buddy tire here.

Skoot -- I see your pics show the *new* '09 sporting 021s...changed them out yet? ;)

--G

Tis true regarding the early '021s. The newer generation 021s last a few more miles and will surely get someone home the 1-2000 odd miles. After all, we're talking about a buddy tire here.

Skoot -- I see your pics show the *new* '09 sporting 021s...changed them out yet? ;)

--G
Nice catch -G

Sorry, but the new 021s (at least the POS that came on my 2012) are still complete crap. By 2000 miles, the front tire has gone trapezoid and the handling has gone to shit. By 3000 miles it will be completely miserable.

A new 021 may be able to get someone home as long as they don't do too do much turning. As far a a 021 with a several thousand miles on it? I think I'd rather ride on the rim...