What touches down next..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also depends on how much you've already scraped off your peg feelers. 4-5mm ground off the feelers results in a significant change in lean angle before touching the feelers.

When you're two-up and loaded, it's surprisingly easy to grind the center stand passing over surface transitions and the peg feelers won't contact. So there's more to consider than strictly touchdowns at lean angles.

My advice is learn to use less lean angle and avoid the peg feelers (sorry Jager). But that doesn't directly answer your question, does it!

Okay, here's my direct answer...

It depends.

I really didn't mean to start a discussion about technique, I wanted to know whether or not I was in mortal danger shortly after grounding the foot peg feelers...it sounds like I'm not... :D
Thanks,

Ben
Well, now you know better. When you ask a question like that you are opening up a whole can of worms... :rolleyes:

But, if it's any consolation, I don't believe that it was your form that was in question.

What is the name of that instrument the doc uses to scrape the gravel out of your skin?
A wire brush? :eek:
Just the thought of that wire brush will slow me down....at least for today till the alzheimers kicks in and I forget about it.
I guess because I haven't been there I don't get it. Are you really going so much faster than just touching a peg to make it worth the risk?

My advice is learn to use less lean angle and avoid the peg feelers (sorry Jager). But that doesn't directly answer your question, does it!Okay, here's my direct answer...

It depends. Lean till you crap your depends.
Fixed that for you, Jeff. :)

Really, I don't scrape pegs often, and they're my warning to take it easy. Still makes me grin every time, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you need to know is "How much tire is still in contact with the road, after the pegs start to scrape?"
I had a 2000 VFR with which I had ground off the feeler (and part of the peg) on the right side. Then one day, in a right-hand corner, nothing scraping, I give it gas and lose the rear wind. I get slammed on my back and the bike slides down the track ahead of me.

Afterwards, looking at the rear tire, it is clear I leaned it further than there was tire to keep on the road. The VFR has pretty long feelers, and I think they designed it this way to let you know you're getting to the edge of the tire. So without feelers, I was leaning too far.

Granted, the FJR has lower pegs, and may have plenty of tread left when the next hard part starts dragging. I'm just pointing out that the limit to leaning may not be the parts you're dragging, but the rubber left to provide traction.
I understand your point and it's well taken. Only ride to the edge of your tread, not beyond.

However... aren't you saying that you cranked on some throttle whilest the bike was leaned over hard to an extreme angle (ie to the point that you expected to be touching the peg feelers).

Doesn't anyone else see a bit of a problem with this?
Good question, and understandable, as I didn't put a lot of details into "give it gas". The devil is in the details ...

It is appropriate to give it gas through a corner. It stabilizes the bike and increases ground clearance. But it takes a lot of throttle for the VFR to slide a tire, even when leaned over. And when it does, it gives plenty of warning: the rear end will slip a bit, then hook up again as I adjust less throttle. It just didn't happen that way when I crashed, so my conclusion was that I ran out of tire.

Okay, understand, I'm coming from the cruiser world when I say this...
I've never dragged a peg on the FJR. I did it routinely on my cruisers though. Honestly, I can't imagine doing it on the FJR without running out of tire. I've got Azaro's.. and their showing wear right to the edge of the tread on the right side, and damn close it on the left. Now granted, this is probably the outside edge of the contact patch when cornering, but, well, shit. Anymore speed through a corner and I'd be at 10/10ths.

You guys do this on the street? I guess that explains a bunch of the crash club icons.
peg feelers are there to let you know you're getting close to touching down something you shouldn't. it's also why the footpegs are retractable. you do have room for error with regard to contact patch. the last thing you want to do when you hear the scrape of a peg feeler is to think you have no tire left and brake, decel, and other things that will cause your bike to stand up and/or throw you off in an ugly highside. jmo...

front, left side of tire

IMG_5082.jpg

left peg feeler

IMG_5081.jpg

rear, left side of tire

IMG_5080.jpg

front, right side of tire

IMG_5079.jpg

right peg feeler

IMG_5078.jpg

rear, right side of tire

IMG_5076.jpg