What type of gear are you using

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jackets:

TourMaster (x2 -- Jett and Flexx). I prefer the Flexx, and wore it on a trip from WA to TX in August '08. I spent a two days in UT, including a ~15 hour day going from Torrey to LA via Vegas with temps above 100* most of the way. I-15 coming in to Vegas was like riding through an oven, but bearable with plenty of hydration. I wear the Jett when the days are shorter here in the PNW, because it had silver trim (more visible, I hope) vs. the Flexx (all black).

Pants:

Fieldsheer over pants of unknown line (I forgot the line a long time ago, it appears they don't make them anymore either
sad.png
). Plenty comfy, comes with a liner, cool enough in the heat, and did well resisting water for years. Now that they're almost 10 years old... not so much (even with Nixwax). Time for new pants
biggrin.png
I started with a pair of First Gear over pants (circa '05), but they were built for short/wide people, and I'm tall/skinny... The legs would regularly ride up over the top of my boots -- grr.

Boots:

TourMaster Solution 2.0 and Red Wing 4471(which appear to be discontinued -- dammit!). The Solutions are plenty comfy for wearing all day, but maybe a bit on the warm side. I do get the occasional goofy look from folks around the office who don't recognize riding boots when they see them.

Gloves:

Cortech Accelerator 99% of the time (they're the only pair of gloves I've ever found that actually fix my hands correctly). When it gets wet or really cold, I've got a pair of Olympia 4370. I generally don't care for insulated gloves, though, and with my short commute these days, I generally just wear the Cortech gloves even when it's really cold.

For warmth I would go with Klim Latitude 840D if you can find your size in discontinued inventory. Unfortunately I successfully crash tested my set of Latitude 840D on a deer strike. My next choice for waterproof warmth would be the new Klim Latitude coat and pants. My third choice, which I like the best but it is the least warm, is my new Klim Apex jacket and Torrent pants.

If you stuck on leather, my only choice would be the Aerostitch Transit leather suit for use on the FJR.

I would only buy something with a gore-tex outer shell to prevent the roadside rainsuit dance. The only thing you have to think about is what to wear underneath to match conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Abercrombie mentioned, if you only want leather, the Aerostitch Tansit Suit is the way to go. They're discontinuing the Transit Suit, though, so if they have your size and you can afford it, ya better get one now.

I've had my Transit Suit since late 2009. It doesn't vent well in hot weather, but that lack of venting is kinda nice in the cooler weather.

Once upon a time, Harley had a line of gear called FXRG that had a waterproof leather jacket and pants. Dunno if they're still making that stuff or not, though.

Jacket: I have both KLIM Badlands and Traverse, I think the KLIM Latitude might be perfect. (Got one for the wife)

Pants: Klim Traverse

Boots: Oxtar / TCX

Helmet: Shark Evoline

Base Layer: LD Comfort (Cold) Under Armor (Hot)

Socks: Smart Wool Hiking socks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the midst of upgrading my 7 yr old riding gear this year.

Sidi Adventure boots (look overseas for cheaper prices, or PM me)

Klim Badlands Pro jacket & Pants (just purchased today)

I need new gloves, but those will now have to wait as the Klim purchase destroyed my "fun" budget :)

Amazon/ebay may have some deals too. RevZilla is the place to go for video reviews.

HTH!

Four season with CorTech GX Air Jacket, Tour Master Venture Air pants, Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots and Held Gore-Tex Air N Dry gloves. Liked the jacket and pants but didn't like needing the to carry rain gear all the time and the huge pain it was to put it on over all that gear. If it was raining you were going to be soaked by the time you got it on.

After a few years of saving I did my research and went with the Klim Badlands jacket and pants. (Just got them a couple weeks ago.) My wants were upgrades in padding and material, Gore-Tex outer shell to unload the rain gear and last several years. All three are met big time with this gear. Combined with the Sidi boots and Held gloves, I think the next level of protection would have to be in a cage. If you have a cash do it, you won't regret it.

for commuting I use my FirstGear Expedition suit. also Kevlar jeans and a Klim Badlands Pro jacket or the Klim Induction mesh jacket depending on weather. I would ride with Klim gear top and bottom but Klim doesn't have pants with full leg zippers (I'm against taking my boots off to put gear on and off), they have some $400 Gore-Tex pants that have full length zippers but that's all they are....just Gore-Tex and knee pads. no protection

I wear the Motoport Kevlar mesh and love it. My wife has the stretch Kevlar and has been very happy with it.I have ridden in 28 degree to 110 degrees with liners in very comfortable in cold temps. It is pricey but seems to last forever. For gloves got a pair of Held Airstreams.