What's a reasonable price for left over 07 AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
So I drive to an area dealer today to pick some maintenance items for my current bike. While I'm there I spot an 07 AE on the floor, right next to an 08 C-14. I was surprised to see a new 07 still sitting in the showroom. I understand pricing can vary by geography, but in ballpark terms, what would be a reasonable price for this bike?

Any insight oh wise sages...

(Many apologies if this has already been discussed ad naseum :D )

Less than an '08.

And you are right. it has been discussed here. And recently. Click the search link above and enjoy.

What? There's a search function? How did I miss that? :blind: A quick search uncovered the thread. Great info on the A but not so much on the AE...

I bought a new 06 ae in Sept 07 for $10K. Retail for an 06 ae was $15,500. Got from Andrew cycle sales. They were jerks and lied about actual cost of YES warrantee - sold it to me at "cost" of $700 where actual cost learning later is at least half that much. Do your homework - wish I had read yes warranty info and deals like DH offers before I went down there.

I was just in a shop last week that still had an '06 AE new on the floor, and the idiots had $12,500.00 on it. I have no idea what they are thinking. If they ever want to sell that bike, they are going to have to go a lot lower than that.

I was just in a shop last week that still had an '06 AE new on the floor, and the idiots had $12,500.00 on it. I have no idea what they are thinking. If they ever want to sell that bike, they are going to have to go a lot lower than that.
I grabbed my 07AE 6 months ago for 15.5 w/ a $425 5yr YES.

I'd offer 10 grand. Nothing to lose. I wouldn't go over 11K for an '07 with no miles. My local dealer had a crapload still in inventory; you might want to give them a call. Sunland Park Yamaha in Sunland Park, NM. Good luck.

JC

Heinen's in Osseo MN has an 07 AE with 12 miles on it for 10,699. They matched D&H's price on Y.E.S. when I bought my '07 in May.

I'd think something around $11,000-11,500 out the door would be a fair price. I hesitate to say anything lower as I don't want to lower the value on my own. :)

Cheers,

Joe

The dealers quick reply to my inquiry about price - They offered it to me at $13,500. So my neighbor went in a couple of weeks later and they told him $14,000...

Clearly they aren't tuned in to market pricing :blink: At that price, it's going to sit there for another two years...

The dealers quick reply to my inquiry about price - They offered it to me at $13,500. So my neighbor went in a couple of weeks later and they told him $14,000...
Clearly they aren't tuned in to market pricing :blink: At that price, it's going to sit there for another two years...
It just depends on who comes along. Everyone doesn't make their buying decisions based on national studies of pricing, and there are some folks who actually want to have a local dealer.

We get back to the idea that some folks know the price of everything and the value of nothing. An AE's list price is up close to $16K. Anyone who's discounted it by several thou probably figures that someone will go for it. From my view, unless you specifically want the paddleshifter, I don't know why you'd pick an AE at the price differential compared to the A. I think the big problem for the AE is that the magazine reviewers panned the YCC-S feature, and no one wants to pay extra for what the magazine guys think is a negative. There just aren't enough of us out there who have an off and on gimpy left foot or hand.

I've heard that Yamaha will only be shipping AE's to order and that they won't be making dealers take them as part of the floor plan, but I don't know if this is true. I think there were a lot of AEs left over in comparison to the number that were shipped in 06 and 07. Anyone ever seen an 08 on a dealer's floor? I haven't.

I picked up my 06 AE leftover for very little (just over $10K), but it was through serendipity. The internet pricing at the dealer was over $2000 less than the "on the floor" pricing. Had I just walked in and seen the bike without having seen the internet first, I would have probably paid the extra $2K+ and been blissfully happy.

Meanwhile, regarding the idea that the real price for Y.E.S. is what D&H charges... that's another one subject to perspective. D&H is selling the Y.E.S. plan at some pittance over its cost. He makes a little money, he has very little overhead, and he's happy. Another dealer will probably have more overhead, and may use the extended warranty idea as a profit center. Many of them use pre-paid service, extended warranty from third parties, financing deals, and other peripheral items as significant profit generators. My dealer pitched me a third party extended service agreement for $700 for 2 extra years, and I said no, just because I never buy extended warranties. Then when I found out about Y.E.S. through D&H, I bought it because it seemed like such a good deal.... so go figure. D&H made some money, and I bought an insurance policy that I would normally never buy.

Meanwhile, you can't ride a bike that you haven't bought, and you can't buy a bike for less than the best price you can find/negotiate, so you can either buy one and start ridin', or you can keep lookin' for a better deal. Its not free to look, and its not free to fly and ride.

Consider used! (HINT: Mine's for sale for $10,00... '07, A model, it has bout 11k miles and is pristine. Lightly farkled (but high quality stuff), and includes a brand new YES warranty started last month...)

I don't like the idea of buying new anymore... all of my vehicles were purchased "used" but were in perfect or as perfect as the normal driving allows. I cannot see the joy in overpaying, but I know the heart sometimes shuts the brain down when we fall in love with a shiny new machine... my heart isn't allowed to use the checkbook any more! Three grand goes smoking out the exhaust pipe the minute you sit in the drivers seat and fart once!

And I have come to LOATH dealers... any kind, car, bike, sports gear...

C

my 07 non AE was the first new vehicle I've ever owned in my life. But here in the Bay Area, no one wanted to make a deal. I was lucky to get out under $15k when I bought it over a year ago. Most dealers didn't have any of the FJR's in at all. Plus wit all the stories of heat issues, I didn't want to go with a previous year model.

But, any mistakes made on this one are all mine, I got the YES from DH, and now I ride on weekends instead of wrench, so it balances out:)

Heinen's in Osseo MN has an 07 AE with 12 miles on it for 10,699. They matched D&H's price on Y.E.S. when I bought my '07 in May.
I got my 07 FJR AE from Heinen's for 12,799 in Jan of 08.

The above price (10,699) sounds good. If you are paying cash, perhaps less. The ecomomy is wobbly and I would assume there are few buyers. Best of luck.

Art

Why would it make any difference to the dealer whether you pay with cash, or a check from your bank? The only thing the dealer has to know is if there's a security agreement so they can put that on the title application. Otherwise it's all the same to them.

Heinen's doesn't finance bikes, and neither does Yamaha, the so-called Yamaha finance offers are actually from HSBC, IIRC. And from what I have read I would avoid HSBC at all costs. YMMV.