What's the Best Replacement Front Fork Springs--Gen I?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I think this part should work across all Gen FJR's--but I'm not sure. So that's the first question.

It's time to rebuild the suspension on my '05. Based on comments from around here, I've got a new Gen III rear shock waiting for me at Roseville Yammy. What's making me nuts is I had a pair of front fork springs around here that were sold or given to me by somebody who'd upgraded early, which I think were Gen II. They were supposed to be a heavier duty and preferable spring, but that was before the Gen III's came out. I think. It's been quite a long time and my memory's about shot.

Anyway, it's maddening because now I can't find those springs in my damn garage. WTF? I've looked till I can stand to look any more, so tomorrow I'm going to call the shop and have them order new ones so I can get the job going. The Gen III shock was said to be better and cheaper, of all things. Should I go for Gen III fork springs too? Or Gen II? Something else, since I'm ordering new anyway?

I guess the other question is, does anybody around here have a low-use pair of fork springs left over from an upgrade? Weather's nice. I wouldn't mind a little ride.
smile.png
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got some stock 03 springs but they were real soft. I got some Eibach front springs from GP that have been just right . They had them in stock at the time and they cost around a 100.00 if I recall.

Mike, if you want to stay OEM, then a set of GEN III springs would be the ticket. OTOH a set of Race Tech, Eibach or Sonic springs would stiffen up the front end too...really your choice depending on the difference in $$$.

--G

I have a pair of Wilbers fork springs from a group buy that have served well on my '05 for 7 or 8 years. I had been using SIlkolene 2.5 fork oil most of that time, but switched to a heavier oil last summer and I like it even better.

Thy are:

• Spring rate: 7 / 10 Nmm (0.7 / 1.0 Kgmm)
  • Length: 285mm
  • Diameter: 42mm

SacramentoMike - Here's the information you asked for.

Fork%20Spring%20Comparisons.jpg

I would say that none of the stock spring options are much better than the stock '05 springs that you already have.

The second Gen is a single rate spring that is too soft for most people.

The 3rd Gen "A" spring is a little stiffer in the initial soft part, which is also a little shorter, but then it is a little softer in the second stage for the remainder of the spring.

The 3rd Gen ES has a spring in one leg, so that probably won't work for you.

If you did opt to go with the much longer 3rd Gen A spring, you would need to make or cut your spacer length way down. The total installed length of the 04-05 forks is 249 + 149.5 = 398.5 mm, meaning that's how much space is inside the fork legs. Assuming you want the same ~15mm of preload on the 3rd Gen spring, which has a 345mm free length, you would need a (398.5 - 345) + 15 = 68.5 mm spacer. Maybe start it out a little longer and adjust it shorter to get the sag you want.

I should note that most folks just get a single rate aftermarket set of springs at about 1.0 to 1.1 kg/mm (depending on your weight) and then make a correct length spacer for that spring's length, whatever it is.

Hope that helps

I should note that most folks just get a single rate aftermarket set of springs at about 1.0 to 1.1 kg/mm (depending on your weight) and then hopefully make a correct length spacer for that spring's length, whatever it is.
Fixed.
fool.gif

Hope that helps
Holy Hell, Fred. It helps . . . confuse me.

Really appreciate all your replies. Sounds like there's a world of options, but I don't even really know if I NEED new springs. I mean I have springs in there now. I'm beginning to wonder if I should just change the innards and the oil and stay with the stock ones. Do they get all worn out after a bunch (~90K) of miles? The shocks, sure, but really, the springs?

I'm so used to the bike that if they've deteriorated, it's so gradual I don't notice, like watching my kids grow every day. Well, they've stopped now, but you know.

So now I'm wondering, if you're generally OK with the ride, are new springs essential when restoring/upgrading/rebuilding an older suspension? It's not just I'm trying to save the hundred bucks--though I have nothing against that. Thoughts?

Find someone near you with an upgraded suspension that will let you ride their bike.

If you can't tell a difference, then save a bunch of money and don't do anything.....

:)

This will be a simple® question to answer.

If you were generally OK with the ride previously, you do not have to change the springs. Springs do not wear out or degrade much with use. They were a compromise selection to begin with between plushness and stability, and many folks choose to alter that compromise a bit towards stability (firmer) for a sportier ride or to deal with larger than planned weight loads.

My point in giving you all of the spring specs was to show that none of the other Generation FJR springs is much better than the stock 1st gen springs that you already have.

I bought my 05 last year with leaky fork seals and i decided to upgrade the springs since i had to get it worked on anyways. I ended up going with traxxion dynamics springs set for my weight and have been extremely happy with them.