What's the current good HID setup-not Soltek

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomhanaway

Reaction score
Ok guys,

I've done all the mods I can think of other than suspension(autocom,daylong seat, helibars w/riser, screen,givi, cruise control, gps, radar detector, etc.).

I really like the idea of HID lights. I tried reading throught the various threads and came away thoroughly confused. Several good ideas seem to not pan out due to length of wire from ballast to light. I'm not really interested in the Soltek-both because of size and where I live-primarily urban, semi-urban driving.

So.... what's the present though on best solution-phid's??, something else? If there's an obvious thread I've missed please steer me.

Thanks,

Tom Hanaway

Boynton Beach, FL

Ok guys,I've done all the mods I can think of other than suspension(autocom,daylong seat, helibars w/riser, screen,givi, cruise control, gps, radar detector, etc.).

I really like the idea of HID lights. I tried reading throught the various threads and came away thoroughly confused. Several good ideas seem to not pan out due to length of wire from ballast to light. I'm not really interested in the Soltek-both because of size and where I live-primarily urban, semi-urban driving.

So.... what's the present though on best solution-phid's??, something else? If there's an obvious thread I've missed please steer me.

Thanks,

Tom Hanaway

Boynton Beach, FL
Since you are primarily riding in urban areas, the PHIDS are also going to throw off some serious light. In fact most any HID light kit is going to do this. If the amount of light is going to be an issue, I suggest you look at the hologen Hella FF50 kit. Great price and value for money, Garauld offers a complete kit for not much $$. This light will be much more freindly on the eyes of an oncoming vehicle and will not attract too much attention from the man.

Ok guys,I've done all the mods I can think of other than suspension(autocom,daylong seat, helibars w/riser, screen,givi, cruise control, gps, radar detector, etc.).

Thanks,

Tom Hanaway

Boynton Beach, FL
Since you are primarily riding in urban areas, the PHIDS are also going to throw off some serious light. In fact most any HID light kit is going to do this. If the amount of light is going to be an issue, I suggest you look at the hologen Hella FF50 kit. Great price and value for money, Garauld offers a complete kit for not much $$. This light will be much more freindly on the eyes of an oncoming vehicle and will not attract too much attention from the man.

+1. These lights with the brackets that Garauld manufactures are the way to go. I used them last summer during my first SS1K, and they are an excellent return for the investment. Not much $$$. And they don't look too bad, either!

Last edited by a moderator:
My recommendation depends on what you are really after.

If you need (or want) the extra light for those times you may not be in an urban environment, then the PHIDs are still the cat's ass. They are the de facto standard in the Long Distance community, and nothing really throws out the amount of light these babies do given their relatively small design. That being said, there are big-ass Hella HIDs that actually throw out even more light, but these lamps are noticeably large.... they're like having a pair of small dinner plates hanging under your mirror stalks.

If you are referring to using HID lighting in your stock headlight housing, this is still a problematic exercise for our H4 reflector housings. When Electrosport comes through with a proper duel-capsule H4-based HID setup, that will definitely be the way to fly. Too, there is a version of the "moving capsule" HID setup that, in theory, would seem to be a reasonable approach. These have a little stepper motor that physically re-locates the capsule to the correct focal point for both high-beam and low-beam. The only drawback here is that, should the stepper motor fail when the bulb is in "high-beam" mode, well, you are truly fucked. Particularly in an urban environment.

Back to aux lamps.... if you find having a pair of lamps hanging under your mirror stalks is a bit too obtrusive or otherwise objectionable, there is yet another approach you might want to consider: the "THIDs" (Tiny HIDs) that BLM-Accessories.com sells. Like the Solteks, the THIDs have all components - ballast, ignitor, and bulb - all contained in the lamp housing themselves. Unlike the Solteks, the THIDs have truly "miniaturized" these components to form a light system that throws out an amazing amount of light for their tiny size, and consume only 12 watts each! :blink:

SpotHIDs.jpg
SpotHID_bracket.jpg

Mind you, the THIDs aren't the same massive lighting league the PHIDs are in, but you would be amazed at the amount of light these little gems can generate.

Bottom line... it all depends on what you really want the lights to do. If you want serious lighting ability, you need serious lamps. If you want a bit of blingage or just a finite amount of extra light, there are options there as well.

I personally would not invest in halogen technology anymore, because HID lighting is so much superior and delivers this at a much reduced power consumption rate. Still, if you have the paower to spare and don't mind significantly less lighting performance, halogen is a less expensive option to consider.

Any rough idea of what those THID's go for? Since I'm not immediately in the market for a set, I'd hate to start mail bombing BLM-Accessories. It would be nice, though, to have a clue for future planning.

Looks like mounting brackets run in the $85-$95 range + shipping. The site says they can fabricate for any bike, but there are no FJR specific bits listed anywhere on the site at this point.

12W sounds nice for our anemic charging systems.

Any rough idea of what those THID's go for? Since I'm not immediately in the market for a set, I'd hate to start mail bombing BLM-Accessories. It would be nice, though, to have a clue for future planning.
Looks like mounting brackets run in the $85-$95 range + shipping. The site says they can fabricate for any bike, but there are no FJR specific bits listed anywhere on the site at this point.

12W sounds nice for our anemic charging systems.
Dont know what the lights go for, but the light brackets are $85 from FJRGoodies.

The FF50's may not get the FAA on your ass like some of these PHID's do, but they are a definite improvement over the oe lamps alone, which are already rated as the best ever in my long experience with motorcycle lighting, starting with 6 volt Lucas Part-Time-Lighting. The cost won't kill a guy either.

Any rough idea of what those THID's go for?
New was $699.00 last time I checked. And it's PHID, as in Phillips HID, as in only one model designation, not all Aux. HID's in general. Soltek's (or Fuego's) could be called SHID's (or FHID's), Hella's could be called HHID etc...Get it? I gotta go piss into the wind and up some rope now...

The FF50's...are a definite improvement over the OE lamps alone, which are already rated as the best ever in my long experience with motorcycle lighting...
Really? I'd think the current incarnation of Goldwing lights would outperform the FJR, as they appear to have separate reflector housings for low and high beams.

Any rough idea of what those THID's go for?
New was $699.00 last time I checked. And it's PHID, as in Phillips HID, as in only one model designation, not all Aux. HID's in general. Soltek's (or Fuego's) could be called SHID's (or FHID's), Hella's could be called HHID etc...Get it? I gotta go piss into the wind and up some rope now...
No, toe, I really meant THID, as in Tiny HID -- the ones shown in Warchild's post and sold at BLM-Accessories.com. There weren't prices for those on the web site.

I happened to talked with BLM today since I am entering discussions with them to fabricate a unique aux fuel setup for the new Blackbird, and I asked him about the THIDs.

There are two versions: the 12-watt version I mentioned above, and a new 30-watt version that is a little bigger, and has a separate ballast setup (similar to the PHIDs). This 30-watt version of course puts out a goodly bit more light than the 12-watt THIDs.

The 12-watt THIDs retail for $225; the 30-watt variant retails for $325.

The former comes in both black-anodized and gay-ass chrome finish; the latter comes in the butt-pirate finish only... shiny, shiny chrome. :lol:

There are two versions: the 12-watt version I mentioned above, and a new 30-watt version that is a little bigger, and has a separate ballast setup (similar to the PHIDs). This 30-watt version of course puts out a goodly bit more light than the 12-watt THIDs.
Do you know the dimensions of the 30 watt version?

Do you know the dimensions of the 30 watt version?
From the web site:

"We also carry a larger, 30-watt HID that is just the ticket! Each light is 2.5" in diameter. Length of housing is 2 3/4 inches. Height is 4 inches (including post)."

And thanks a ton, Warchild, for the prices. They sound very reasonable. I might have to revise my wish list.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and replies. I'm probably going with the black matte THID's. I really lke the idea of the ballast being on the unit. Given my semi-urban environment, this seems like the best way to pick up some extra light with nominal wattage draw.

Of course, I can always upgrade to PHID's when I need to light up my house after we lose electricity in our next hurricane season :rolleyes:

Tom Hanaway

Boynton Beach, Florida

....I'm probably going with the black matte THID's. I really lke the idea of the ballast being on the unit. Given my semi-urban environment, this seems like the best way to pick up some extra light with nominal wattage draw...........
+1

Please post up installation pics!

:clapping: