What's Up With The FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 all above.

The FJR is built a certain way and we all have different taste and wants.

The FJR is not a one size fits all.

If you are not used to shaft drive, then you must learn how it works. It rides different than chain. etc etc.

You must look after it and tune it, it is a mechanical device.

Throttle bodies must be sync'd, tires must be checked, bolts must be checked, pivot points must be lubed, steering must be checked. etc etc

Maybe the dealer goofed when he put your bike together out of the crate.

Find a competent, knowledgeable tech or friend to check your bike if you aren't so inclined.

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone on here ever return an FJR to the dealer? what's Yamaha's return policy? Lemon law?
Wow, lets hope it doesn't come to this. Your posts don't make it clear to me just how long you've been dealing with this, but I imagine that it can be taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. Once you get 'er dialed in I think you'll be very happy with this bike. Don't take "we don't know" as a final answer and get rid of it based on that alone.
I've owned an '04 and an '05. I did add a windshield because I sit "tall in the saddle", a Russell seat because I have a 2-hour butt (others ride just fine and all day with a stocker). The above problems are MINE, not Yamahas. The throttle return spring isn't too strong for my "manly :D hands", the clutch pull isnt any different than my XS100 or my Concours.

To your problems, it sounds like you've been to the dealer once and not gotten it fixed immediately. IIRC, even the "Lemon Law" requires you to give the dealer and the manufacturer time to solve or mitigate your problems with said vehicle.

I concur that it sounds like the dealer needs to perform a Throttle Body Synchronization. The FJR doesn't respond well to close on the TBS, like some bikes, but it needs to be adjusted as well as they can. Mine also responded well to properly adjusting the slack from the throttle cable. Then engine will "smooth out" after 1500 miles, or so. As to the jerkiness of the throttle reponse, this engine (4 cyl. inline) will respond differently to throttle inputs than a V-twin.

Get the TBS, take a couple of long day rides then make your decision. It is possible that this isn't the "bike for you".

Like I said...the bike is in the dealer because it's idling rough and running rougher...jerky. It wasn't like this when I first got it. Something is out of sync......I have tried going to the higher RPMs after the bike was fully warmed up but the engine felt grindy and vibeee.

I will wait and check the outcome but, if there is a dealer here in the general vicinity that has lots of FJR experience, I would like the opportunity to bring it there in case my dealer can't get it right.

Anyone else know a good Yamaha dealer/mechanic?

P.S. I did ride it from East Meadow to Lake George for Americade last weekend.

Dude! The problem is your NY attitude is missing! Try this:

'Fuckin' A, ova' heah! Dat fucker is at da fuckin' shop cuz it's a fuckin' piece of shit! Dem mutha fuckin' mechanics can go **** themselves for all I fuckin' care! An' **** Yamaha, too! Fuckers can't design their own shit right, da fuckheads! Fuckin' jerky piece of shit! I'm gonna fuckin' sue some fuckhead! Yeah, fuckin' A!'

Er, pardon the french... :D (I miss New Yorkers!)

J/K, but it does sound like a bit of adjustment is all the bike needs. TBS, idle adjust, throttle slack, etc. I think 600 miles is a bit low to be tossing it out into the Sound. Your dealer, on the other hand, should be 'up' on this machine by now. Keep looking for another...

I certainly can express myself like a frustrated tensed up New Yorker but, I don't, so I won't offend all of you "Gentlemen" in the other parts of the country. And besides, my Mother would not be very happy! :yahoo:

Ah laddie, you make your mother proud. Now give an engineer (with metric tools) a chance. :p

If you bought the bike new, and you have had services performed at a certified Yammi dealer, then that's what the WARRANTY is fer. Yeah, the FJR is different from the R1, but an engine is an engine and they should be able to diagnose a problem IF its got one.

You're feeling bummed out right now -rightfully so, becasue you believe there is a problem. But how're ya gonna feel lad, if the prognosis is for continued good miles and there's nothing wrong. Try to relax and give the dealer a chance. (You've GOT to give me more time, Captain! ) Make some new friends at the dealership. They might enjoy learning about the FJR and get it running fer ya in tip top shape. And if you make some new friends, you'll feel a lot better next time your go dere.

No time to panic yet! :D

Now where is that banshee-eared Vulcan to beam me the hell outta here! :dribble:

Ah, the Break In Blues. Some may find this hard to believe, but Toyotas come with warranties. That get used. I have yet to see a Toy dealership with nothing but oil change bays and techs. The reason it runs rough is because something is wrong, a situation in which no machine is exempt. Get it fixed and feel the love. No Lemon Law I know of applies until 3 attempts have been made to fix the same problem without success.

The 06 is not unrideable as it comes from the factory, but there is significant room for improvement, mainly in the area of throttle control and shifting. Some of it is just a matter of adjusting to the bike, but some of it is just plain poor design.

There are a few fairly easy fixes as have been mentioned already.

1. Do the jumper mod to the ECU and increase the mixture settings by 7 increments on all 4 cylinders

2. Take all the slack out of the throttle cable

3. Release the center throttle spring

Then go ride it a couple thousand miles and get yourself accustomed to it.

I'm going to look into the throttle cable pulley to see if it can be modified or replaced with one from an 05 and if that helps matters any.

Here's my .02. I've owned many motorcycles going back over 35 years. I sold a ST1300 to buy my FJR, and I also own a Goldwing right now.

When I bought the ST, I told people it had the worst throttle modulation I've ever felt. I got used to it. The FJR is similar. I've made some adjustments, and I've adapted. The FJR has more vibration in the upper rpms than I would have expected, but other than the known "tingling" in the fingers, I really don't notice it at normal riding. The clutch does not strike me as odd at all.

Bottom line to me is that its not perfect, but then nothing I have ever owned is. Here is the real test to me. If I walked out and found the bike was stolen, what would I replace it with? The answer is a no-brainer to me. Another FJR just like it.

For my own 2 cents... I too have an 06. Went from a 750 Katana. So the experience is different, however I can say that I'm happy so far. Yes there's some jerkyness, surging, take your pick, that's one thing that I'll be talking to the "dealer" about tomorrow at it's service. One additional thing that I can say it that you get a TON of great info on this board. Just search and it's there. There's more knowledge here than in most dealers!

That's one of the biggest problems, car, boat, motorcycle..finding a dealer who know's what the Frig they're talking about. The bikes barely got any miles on it...have the dealer get it right and then decide...after you've ridden it a year.

g

Here's my .02. I've owned many motorcycles going back over 35 years. I sold a ST1300 to buy my FJR, and I also own a Goldwing right now.
When I bought the ST, I told people it had the worst throttle modulation I've ever felt. I got used to it. The FJR is similar. I've made some adjustments, and I've adapted. The FJR has more vibration in the upper rpms than I would have expected, but other than the known "tingling" in the fingers, I really don't notice it at normal riding. The clutch does not strike me as odd at all.

Bottom line to me is that its not perfect, but then nothing I have ever owned is. Here is the real test to me. If I walked out and found the bike was stolen, what would I replace it with? The answer is a no-brainer to me. Another FJR just like it.

Here is the real test to me. If I walked out and found the bike was stolen, what would I replace it with? The answer is a no-brainer to me. Another FJR just like it.
And so, grasshopper, you have struggled to learn and have overcome. I suppose your "replacement" statement is the end-all statement. That's exactly what I did when my '04 was totalled: I called my dealer and bought the next un-named FJR coming. Have either of the FJRs been perfect? Nope! But both of these bikes have made my heart smile. I still grin when I open the kitchen/garage door and see the FJR sitting there. :D Uhm, I'm real careful to not total the amount of add-ons, farkles and electronic goodies. :unsure:

maywannayamaha1300, those of us who are actually riding our bikes cannot understand the frustration you have because yours is in the shop. No amount of typed comfort and good wishes will change how "let down" you feel. It does sound like something is wrong in the engine bay. Wait until the dealer finds the problem and fixes it, then the thing and then makeyour decision.

I JUST GOT DONE WITH THE '' BARB MOD", THE TBS ,LET THE TENSION OFF OF THE MIDDLE SPRING{ONE ROUND} ,AND TOOK THE SLACK OUT OF THE CABLE ,AND i THINK IT RIDES LIKE A NEW MACHINE!!!!! IT TOOK A LOT OF THE LEAN JERKYNESS OUT OF IT AND SOME OF THE HANDLEBAR TINGLE,AND DROPPED MY TEMP BY 1 BAR,AND IT WAS 90 DEGREES TODAY . DO THESE THINGS OR HAVE THEM DONE AND YOU WILL FEEL A BIG DIFF. NOW THE ONLY THING LEFT IS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO RAISE MY IDLE SPEED UP ,BECAUSE AFTER THESE MODS , IT LOWERED MY IDLE A COUPLE OF HUNDRED RPM.

I JUST GOT DONE WITH THE '' BARB MOD", THE TBS ,LET THE TENSION OFF OF THE MIDDLE SPRING{ONE ROUND} ,AND TOOK THE SLACK OUT OF THE CABLE ,AND i THINK IT RIDES LIKE A NEW MACHINE!!!!! IT TOOK A LOT OF THE LEAN JERKYNESS OUT OF IT AND SOME OF THE HANDLEBAR TINGLE,AND DROPPED MY TEMP BY 1 BAR,AND IT WAS 90 DEGREES TODAY . DO THESE THINGS OR HAVE THEM DONE AND YOU WILL FEEL A BIG DIFF. NOW THE ONLY THING LEFT IS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO RAISE MY IDLE SPEED UP ,BECAUSE AFTER THESE MODS , IT LOWERED MY IDLE A COUPLE OF HUNDRED RPM.
Uhem...ALL CAPS is considered YELLING! <_<

I've bumped around a number of motorcycle forums over the last few years. There's three general themes that run through all of them:

1. "THIS IS THE BEST BIKE IN THE WORLD!!!"

2. "THIS IS THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD!!!"

3 "I FIXED [insert random problem or farkle here] AND NOW THE BIKE IS PERFECT!!!!!"

Makes no difference what brand or model, all the forums have these same three themes appearing over and over again. I like to read all the comments, and make comments, and try new farkles and techniques, but I realize the forum posters are a small minority of the owners of the various bikes. Most people like their bikes just fine the way they come from the factory. Most people, I think, don't post on forums.

So what we get here is a distillation of problems and fixes. Someday I may actually be able to ride my FJR again, and maybe I'll say one of these three things, maybe I'll need to do all the mods, maybe not.

Right after getting the GL1800, I made a comment on one of the Wing forums, that the bike was a bear at low speeds, and I was thinking of getting something lighter. The best advice I got is the advice I'll give: it can take up to ten thousand miles to get used to the Goldwing's heft. After about six thousand miles it was second nature to ride the Wing, at any speed. It may take thousands of miles to get used to the characteristics of the FJR.

Maywannayamaha1300

The FJR is a great bike.

I have had it for 2 months now and do not regret the decision to buy or the PDP wait.

Before my first 600 mile (914 Mile) service, I experienced throttle modulation issues. I have a great dealer and service staff and did not experience any throttle issues or jerkines since the service.

Coming from HD cruiser, it took me a week or two to adjust.

As 04, 05 owners had stated...the smile I have while riding the FJR is wide and permanent. Can't beat the power, the manueverabilty and ride comfort :yahoo:

Yo Nut! That was fukin hilarious!!!!

You know, the syptoms you describe could be something as simple as a bad gas. Something the 'Nut knows all too well.

It wouldn't be the first time somebody came here all distraught over their crappy running FJR only to find that the next fill-up all was right with the world again.

Possible.

The '06 doesn't have the "idle-speed set wheel" in the hole of the right fairing?
Mike, I see no such device as you describe on the 06. I don't know the idle speed proceedure yet as I should get my manual from University Motors any day.

And Maywannayamaha1300, not to stress. Once the gerbals have been removed, you and your machine can become one, then once again the world will be in true balance. Patience and perseverance is the true answer. PM. <>< :aikido:

The '06 doesn't have the "idle-speed set wheel" in the hole of the right fairing?
Mike, I see no such device as you describe on the 06. I don't know the idle speed proceedure yet as I should get my manual from University Motors any day.

And Maywannayamaha1300, not to stress. Once the gerbals have been removed, you and your machine can become one, then once again the world will be in true balance. Patience and perseverance is the true answer. PM. <>< :aikido:
The idle adjustment knob is in the same place on the '06 as in prior years...All you have to do is look for it. I raised mine from just under a thou to 1100 and it made a world of difference with the part throttle on / off transition.

--G

The idle adjustment knob is in the same place on the '06 as in prior years...All you have to do is look for it. I raised mine from just under a thou to 1100 and it made a world of difference with the part throttle on / off transition.
--G
Okay gentlemen, look at the right side of your engine. See the water pump (The little circle shaped thing with the radiator hose attached to it, just forward of the right footpeg)? Above and to the rear of your water pump is the Right side transmission cover (the big, dark grey circle shaped thing).See the bottom allen-head bolt just above the water pump? Start counting counter clockwise. 1....2....3...4...???...5 Se that gold anodized knurled knob with the phillips screw slot in it, in between #4 and #5? That is the idle adjustment knob. Capiche? :)

Uhm, righty tighty/lefty loosey.

Latest posts