What's Up With The FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mm2, you're a bad influence :lol: I just got back from walking to my temporary garage 150 yds away, uphill both directions, through a blinding snow storm...

From the 12 o'clock of the water pump. Count CCW 4 allen heads, there will be a small bracket on the bolt. The knob, attached to the bracket is pointed down at +/- 45 degree angle. Use a #2 phillips to reach in and twist till you're content.

(This one is a little harder to see than prior years. :p )

--G

Talk about touching a nerve. 40 replies to this in 1 day. This is something we all take very personally.

So here's my 2 cents: If there's really something wrong with your new bike, the dealer will fix it under warranty. If they say there's nothing wrong with it, you have a whole year for there to be something wrong with it and get it fixed under warranty.

Ride it and learn to like it. And if you still don't like it sell it and get something else.

Oh shit, what the **** is happening here. This scoot is awesome. If maywannayammaha thinks his bike is a POS it probably is. If the dealer can't fix it then he should do what he needs to do to get MamaYama to make it right. I've been down this road before and if you are diligent and don't let them kick you around the dealer and manufacturer will do the right thing. I LOVE MY 06. After a Concours this bike is delight. I know that it isn't perfect, what is, but this bike is fast, smooth and does what it's supposed to do. I got mine serviced at 600, added a throttle rocker, grip puppies and a few other toys and no doubt, this is an amazing machine, Maywannayamaha, find a dealer that knows "what the ****" and hold their feet to the fire until you get it fixed like you want it. If they can't make it happen, sell it!!!

good luck :) :) :)

Sorry to hear you are having the problems with the FJR. I just passed 600 miles on my 06 FJR. I changed the oil and filter at 200 miles. In addition, I recently added Shell Rotella T synthetic motor oil and Mobil 1 gear oil at 600 miles. Boy, she is silky smooth now. I was fairly aggressive during break in too. I rode it hard, but no red line and no extended revs.

Here's some of the complaints I've read about and my experience so far:

1. Heat - I'm getting some heat on my left leg when temps are greater than 80 degrees. Not a big deal and I don't plan on any mods to correct this.

2. Surging - I'm coming from a modified Bandit 1200S so the surging issue is a non-starter for me. From a dead stop, I need to be a little careful, but I've already adjusted to it. I won't be taking any tension springs out of the throttle either.

3. Handling - This bike handles really well at moderate to high speeds, better than my Bandit. I love weaving through traffic with the torque and handling combo this bike offers. You have to be aware tooling around at slow speeds as this is a big bike.

4. Wind protection - Coming from a Bandit, the wind protection on the FJR is pristine. I think the stock shield is okay, but I am ordering a CalSci +2.5 windshield to hopefully get a calm air pocket with the shield fully extended for the long trips.

5. Seat - The seat is not as comfortable for me, 5'9", 190lbs. I am going to ride the stocker this year to see if I adapt to it. Otherwise, I'll see if the wife lets me splurg for a Corbin.

6. Power - Well documented. It's there. There is a reason that Yamaha recommends experienced riders for this bike.

7. Brakes - I love the linked brakes. For the ultra experienced riders, this may be a turn off, but it works well for me.

8. Other issues - My MPG is stuck at 17 like all the early production bikes. Not a big deal. I'm sure there will be a fix for this.

The drain plug for gear oil was pretty loose. I thought this was double checked at the factory.

My dealer found crate damage on the lower right side fairing. The dealer ordered a new part and charged Yamaha. I also discovered after taking the bike home that my dealer broke an allen wrench part inside one of the allens at the bottom of the W on the windshield. When I pick up my lower fairing part, I'll have the dealer check this out too and make necessary repairs.

Overall - The bike delivers the goods. It's a perfect bike for my needs. I look forward to many miles and years of enjoyment. I highly recommend this bike.

I bought my FJR from Yamaha City in Philadelphia, PA. The owner (John) has owned several models of FJR. I would bet his guys are good with the FJR. I'm sure they worked on all of his.

another noob with a thought:

if you ride/own one bike at a time, it takes a little while to get accustomed to the new scoot. the more miles i put on my FJR, the more i love it. i have developed a different touch on the throttle. when i jump on my 1200 wing, which used to feel svelte and nimble, it feels like a completely different machine than i remember it. but it's just different. it is much more "tail-driven" and needs to be pushed into corners and pulled out of them. it is slow side to side. i used to think it was pretty flickable. hah! then i get on hollie's magna with the forward controls, and i feel like i'm driving from the pillion.

every one of them has its own strengths and weaknesses. obviously, if you have troubles you need to and will find a good dealer who will sort them out. other than that, just ride and ride and ride some more. my brief experience indicates to me that you will be smiling soon. and when you get back on a cruiser that you thought was "just right", it's gonna feel all wrong. what changed? your muscle memory, your technique, your perceptions....

good luck whatever you decide to do. but i think more riding before deciding is in order.

shu

I can relate to that. My old Harley feels almost like a John Deere now. lol. She still has that rightous feel though. PM. <><

You may want to go look at the mod I did to my throttle pulley last night. I posted it on the tech board.

It COMPLETLY eliminates ALL of the jerky throttle problems once and for all.

I dunno, mine was good right out of the box. I didn't need to fix anything, but I think a large portion of the forum members, myself included fit in the can't leave well enough alone catagoty, we just have to mess with things. Therefore you get to read about all the fixes and mods performed on the FJR and begin to wonder about all thats wrong with it.

That said it does apear that you have a real problem with the bike and no confidence in your dealer, first order of business would be to find a new dealer, any vehicle is only as good as its repair man.

I have heard lots of posts from '06 owners about surging, and am curious about the RPM's you are running at when it surges. Your first post says that your only other experience is on a c50, which I would guess is more of low RPM machine. I have experienced modest surging on my '06 when riding through towns at low speeds, most of this is cured by kicking down a gear. You can drive this thing consistently at 3k-4k RPM, personally I go below 3k only on accident. If that sounds like its revving too much to your v-twin trained ear find a back road and hit the red line in first or second gear (higher gears will put you at very illegal speeds!) Seriously, if you have not done this yet it will change your life. And yes this is within the break in recommendations for the bike - no sustained RPM's, this won't take long at all.

My previous bike was a Honda (check the moniker), in the owners manual is says to rev it! An old civic said the same thing. I know the feejer is not a Honda, but these things were not designed to babied.

Am I now in need of a flame retardent suit for advising redline during the breakin period?

Latest posts