What's wrong with HJC?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Plain Dave

Just Plain Dave
Reaction score
I have only read a couple articles on helmets and rather than hunt more, I thought I'd ask the experts.

I have a 6 year old HJC full face helmet that fits perfectly and can get a new one in an aluminum/silver color (The yucky color on my bike) which matches the unblue part of my FJR for $159. Is there a good reason to shovel out $400+ to get an Arai or Shoei? I know the high dollar ones are prettier, but at 66 I'm not that concerned about the attractiveness of a helmet. According to what I've read, all 3 brands have the same endorsements and should be equally protective. Agree or disagree??

This isn't intended to start an argument, just get the various opinions and weigh them before purchasing my next helmet which will be soon. :huh:

According to what I've read, all 3 brands have the same endorsements and should be equally protective. Agree or disagree??
Agree. Endorsements are nice but the critical safety requirement for a full face helmet is that the rider needs to have it securely attached to his head when he is riding. If you like the fit of the HJC then you should buy it.

The main thing with helmets nowadays is:

1) How well does it fit YOU.

2) How quiet is it.

3) How light is it.

4) Looks.

Safety-wise they are all pretty darn good nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple HJC helmets and like them a lot. They fit my mellon extremely well and have held up to my abuse quite well.

I got an HJC for one of my kids. No problems with it at all. However, in the same price range, I'd look at Scorpion, too. The fog resistant shield is nice. Generally, I think that the Scorpion has more features for the money. However, as someone already said, it's really all about getting the best fit.

I currently have a Shoei and my last helmet was an Arai but I wouldn't automatically go out and blow the money on one of those next time. I think that there are a lot of nice DOT/Snell approved helmets in the "value" catagory and the feature sets are very competitive with the expensive helmets.

Cheers,

Jim

If it's DOT and/or Snell approved, fits your head and you like it, that's all you need to know. Cost, color, etc., all bonuses.

Shoei's fit my head nicely but I wish the liners were removable. After a week in the heat I wonder if ity is safe to put it on my head! And after last season I wonder if I should burn it!

The more expensive helmet usually come with a removeable liner so I will be looking for a helmet with removable/cleanable/replaceable liners the next time.

Motorcyclist did a huge article six or so months back and concluded that a cheaper DOT3 helmet is probably safer than a pricier Snell helmet. The Snell requirements for multiple impacts are so severe that they result in a very "stiff" helmet that transmits a lot of G forces in typical crashes, whereas only meeting the less severe DOT3 requirements results in a "softer" helmet that dramatically reduces the G forces in typical crashes.

They rated a Z1R DOT3 helmet as the best and they're something lke $90.

I don't sign up to this completely, but I agree there is no safety reason to get a more expensive helmet - the "buy a $100 helmet if you have a $100 head" argument is bunk. As someone else said, spending the extra MAY results in better comfort and fit/finish. It certainly supports huge advertising budgets and racing efforts. But if you can find an HJC that is comfortable and that you like, I'd go for it.

I'm certainly going to look at cheaper helmets when I buy next. Arai's draconian policies against mail-order are also pushing me away from them; up to this point, I've bought mostly Arais and been happy, but it's time to move on, I think.

- Mark

Just because two helmets me the same certification does not mean they protect equally. The certifications include test for maximum Gforce the "test head" is subjected for a fall from a given distance. If you can see the actual test results for a given helmet, then you can compare numbers and compare.

This also isn't meant to say that a more exspensive helmet is better. All helmets are different, and just because it's more exspensive doesn't meant it's better.

The best protection is also going to be the helmet that fits you best. If you have loose spots your head will impact the inside of them helmet. If you have tight spots then you are stressing and compressing the foam before a fall. A "perfectly" fitting helmet should have an even contact all the way around, and should be a good match to the shape of your skull. Various models within the same brand have different shapes and fits too.

In looking at the certification requirements, it's easy to see that snell is much more stringent than DOT.

Article 1

Article 2

Last edited by a moderator:
In looking at the certification requirements, it's easy to see that snell is much more stringent than DOT.Article 1

Article 2
And it is exactly this "more stringent" aspect that makes Snell helmets tend to protect worse in typical crashes; to protect against the worst crashes that only occur 1% of the time, they double the G's your head experiences in the other 99% of crashes. At least, according to Motorcyclist.

There is some considerable evidence that Snell is not an objective testing agency; they have a vested interest in pushing a standard that differentiates them from DOT standards as they charge a hefty fee for the Snell sticker.

- Mark

I don't see anything wrong with an HJC lid. But I chose my 2nd Arai Quantum not because of the high price but rather in spite of it. I picked it 100% based on fit (comfort) compared to every other model I've tried.

I really wanted a flip-up Schuberth, based on features, but the chin-bar is too close to my face. Now I'm sort of lusting after the latest Nolan flip-up but it hasn't quite made it to America (external sun-shade) though I saw one rider using it.

Arai's draconian policies against mail-order are also pushing me away from them; up to this point, I've bought mostly Arais and been happy, but it's time to move on, I think.
Why does a manufacturer that demands service, expertise and personal attention from their dealers to make sure you get the best fitting safety solution they can offer push you away? Just because you might save a few bucks?

Arais sets high standards for themselves and they want their representatives to have similar standards. Arai reps have to go to training twice a year, all their sales staff. Their helmets are handbuilt. Every helmet is build to the same standard; their racers don't have special custom build helmets, they have the same thing you can buy from your dealer.

If something breaks or needs attention, they will make it right, for free. If after a while you find it doesn't fit as well as it should, they will custom fit your helmet so it does, for free.

Yes it comes at a price. It's more expensive than most and it is hard to get anywhere else but from an official B&M dealer. If you don't like that, get something else. Arai rather have you happy somewhere else than unhappy with an Arai cause you didn't get the the correct advise and fitting. Personally, I find this refreshing in a time where everything seems to revolve around money and service, if there is any, is gone as soon as you step out the door.

(no affiliation)

And it is exactly this "more stringent" aspect that makes Snell helmets tend to protect worse in typical crashes; to protect against the worst crashes that only occur 1% of the time, they double the G's your head experiences in the other 99% of crashes.  At least, according to Motorcyclist.
I think that Professor Harry Hurt came to the same conclusion many years ago. He said that the average rider would be better off wearing a helmet that met DOT standards but did not meet Snell standards because the Snell helmet itself was so hard it could cause head injuries in an "average" crash. He did recommend the Snell helmet for racers and others that might experience a crash at very high speeds. As I recall, the Snell Foundation didn't think much of his report but didn't offer anything of substance to refute Hurt's conclusions.

Hurt also said that the cheapest DOT full face helmet made would give you far more protection than the most expensive open face helmet you could buy.

The more expensive helmet usually come with a removeable liner so I will be looking for a helmet with removable/cleanable/replaceable liners the next time.
I have a Scorpion 700 helmet and it does have a removable liner and you can buy replacements for $40. The fit is very similar to a Shoei 700 or 800 except the sizing is one size small. If a XL Shoei fits you, then you will need a XXL Scorpion. I really could not tell any difference in the fit and liner quality between the 700 and 400 models, they have slightly different ventilation systems but are made of different materials. After reading Motorcyclist's helmet tests, I would buy the 400 model and save $60.