What's wrong with HJC?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motorcyclist did a huge article six or so months back and concluded that a cheaper DOT3 helmet is probably safer than a pricier Snell helmet. The Snell requirements for multiple impacts are so severe that they result in a very "stiff" helmet that transmits a lot of G forces in typical crashes, whereas only meeting the less severe DOT3 requirements results in a "softer" helmet that dramatically reduces the G forces in typical crashes.
They rated a Z1R DOT3 helmet as the best and they're something lke $90.

I don't sign up to this completely, but I agree there is no safety reason to get a more expensive helmet - the "buy a $100 helmet if you have a $100 head" argument is bunk. As someone else said, spending the extra MAY results in better comfort and fit/finish. It certainly supports huge advertising budgets and racing efforts. But if you can find an HJC that is comfortable and that you like, I'd go for it.

I'm certainly going to look at cheaper helmets when I buy next. Arai's draconian policies against mail-order are also pushing me away from them; up to this point, I've bought mostly Arais and been happy, but it's time to move on, I think.

- Mark
After reading the afore mentioned helmet article way back when, I'm on my third Z1R Strike Blade helmet (the one tested in the Motorcyclist article).

I haven't worn my Schubreth S-1 since I bought the first Z1R. I have found them more comfortable, quieter, and as cool if not cooler then the S-1. Why did I buy three? At $79.95 a pop with free shipping I can have three different colors.

Also when I bought the first two the sales person mentioned that the Z1R brand was manufactured for the price point by HJC. Whether this is true or not I don't know but I do like the product enough to trust it to surround my muddled gray matter.

As far as all the technical data is concerned IMHO, the less G's you subject your melon to in a crash the better off you are up to a certain point and then your going to be thinking with rasberry jello anyway.

Cheers :dribble: :haha:

Little known factoid: the ICON line of helmets are actually made by HJC.
I had a local Yammie dealer tell me that KBC helmets were made by HJC as well - is this true??
This is, infact, untrue. KBC makes their own helmets. In my opinion KBC is a much better quality helmet than any HJC. I've owned several of both.

My wife and my son's girlfriend wear the KBC helmet. Nice helmet.

I read the Motorcyclist article, both parts, and their data is hard to ignore. The G-forces passed to the brain are the important factor. I'm using a Shoei RF900 right now, but the Z1R will be my next helmet, assuming good fit.

I have the more asthetically pleasing round head, rather than the funny-looking oblong head.

:D

I have a KBC flip up ,, it is a great fit and just replaced the liner and cheek pads for 25 bucks ,,

my new Icon Manic (HJC) is a super good fit ,, liner and cheek pads are also replaceable ,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Z1R is definitely HJC, the Jimmy Half Helmet is a carbon copy of my HJC. Which has turned out to be a pretty good unit for me.

Little known factoid: the ICON line of helmets are actually made by HJC.
I had a local Yammie dealer tell me that KBC helmets were made by HJC as well - is this true??
This is, infact, untrue. KBC makes their own helmets. In my opinion KBC is a much better quality helmet than any HJC. I've owned several of both.
Thanks for clearing that up. Can you please give specifics about what you liked more with the KBCs? How was the noise and ventilation between the 2 brands?

KBC

I like the flip face for every day riding ,, on n off is so easy ,, my earphones fit inside ,, venting is exelent ,, face shield changes in just a few clicks ,, I have the flat black rubber coated model ,,

the Icon Mainframe Manic ,, ( HJC) great venting ,, super grafics ,, good fit for my noggin , a bit tighter than the KBC ,, great for all day rides ,,

Do you use speakers in that KBC? If so, did they "fit" or did you have to do some carving? (Like I did in my otherwise very nice Shoei Z-Two Viking) :(

GunMD

yea ,, I had to cut away a piece of the cheek pad plastic and a small amount of the styrofoam ,, took about 10min for both sides ,,

IMHO the KBC is just a better product ,, I use a blue mirrored face shield ,, my buddys call it the Darth Vader helmet ,, I also use it for long distance runs ,,

I have only read a couple articles on helmets and rather than hunt more, I thought I'd ask the experts.
I have a 6 year old HJC full face helmet that fits perfectly and can get a new one in an aluminum/silver color (The yucky color on my bike) which matches the unblue part of my FJR for $159. Is there a good reason to shovel out $400+ to get an Arai or Shoei? I know the high dollar ones are prettier, but at 66 I'm not that concerned about the attractiveness of a helmet. According to what I've read, all 3 brands have the same endorsements and should be equally protective. Agree or disagree??

This isn't intended to start an argument, just get the various opinions and weigh them before purchasing my next helmet which will be soon. :huh:
I didn't read through all the post so this may have already been said.

The more expensive helmets have a better seal that cuts down on wind and debris.

This is probably the biggest advantage I have seen of the higher end helmets.

They do have other added features like the liners etc. but the visor area is the biggest factor for me that I have seen. Much better on some of the other helmets...

May or may not be worth the cost for ya!!

Oh edited (I have always own HJC's so it obviously wasn't worth it to me :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth. I dropped my HJC flip up and damaged a hinge. Try as I may to fix it can't get it right, it does not seem to want to retrack in the right grove to close correctly. Lord knows what would happen to the hinged flip up part in a crash.

I bought a Scorpion full face and it is fine. It has a really great mechanism to switch shields. Very easy.

I think Nolan make a pretty good flip up.

IMHO the KBC is just a better product
x2

I like my present KBC. Many vents, great fit, totally removeable washable liner, choices of visors, and great price.

Others have those same qualities, but for me the KBS won. IMHO, YMMV, and all that crap.

Some prefer the Arai or Shoei.

KBC Helmets

HJC Helmets

Arai's draconian policies against mail-order are also pushing me away from them; up to this point, I've bought mostly Arais and been happy, but it's time to move on, I think.
Why does a manufacturer that demands service, expertise and personal attention from their dealers to make sure you get the best fitting safety solution they can offer push you away? Just because you might save a few bucks?

Arais sets high standards for themselves and they want their representatives to have similar standards. Arai reps have to go to training twice a year, all their sales staff. Their helmets are handbuilt. Every helmet is build to the same standard; their racers don't have special custom build helmets, they have the same thing you can buy from your dealer.

If something breaks or needs attention, they will make it right, for free. If after a while you find it doesn't fit as well as it should, they will custom fit your helmet so it does, for free.

Yes it comes at a price. It's more expensive than most and it is hard to get anywhere else but from an official B&M dealer. If you don't like that, get something else. Arai rather have you happy somewhere else than unhappy with an Arai cause you didn't get the the correct advise and fitting. Personally, I find this refreshing in a time where everything seems to revolve around money and service, if there is any, is gone as soon as you step out the door.

(no affiliation)
If a mfg wants to provide all these extra services, fine, but some of us don't need them and don't want to pay for them.

I have five Arai helmets. I've worn Arai helmets for nearly twenty years and I know my size and I know what I want. I don't want or need a a "hand fitting", not that I've ever seen any of the yahoos at the local dealership be able to do anything in "hand fitting" that a layman couldn't do - basically you just want to make sure the helmet fits snugly, something that every MSF instructor learns in five minutes and teaches the students in less time.

I want to buy a helmet at a typical $375 mail-order price rather than a $569 brick and mortar dealer price. Other helmet mfgs seem to be able to offer both options in such matters - Arai says they only want to do it the expensive way.

And I'll submit that Arai's policy has little to do with assuring a high level of service and everything to do with protecing high profit margins for both Arai an dealers.

BTW, I had an email exchange with the head of Arai USA when Arai annouced their "no mail order" policy a few years back. I was professional and cordial in my email and the guy was extremely rude - he basically told me to %^$& off.

So be it, I agree it's their perogative, as it is mine not to buy another Arai.

- Mark