What's Your Favorite After Ride Libation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starbucks of course. Its called Christian crank. If I'm really in the mood, stop by mom's for some home made peach cobbler and home made ice cream. Should be illegal. PM. <>< :dribble:

Ari, what are you doin' in the water?
I've been wonderin' n wonderin'.....
It was 100-something F in the vicinity of Reno on Thursday - the first official day of WFO-5. That's toasty for just about anyone. I was riding by Lake Tahoe when I had one of those, "man it would be great to go for a dip, I bet it would feel fantastic" moments. You know, like the ones we all had as a kid, and many of us have continued to have well into adulthood. And you know what? Man, it really did feel fantastic.

Before I could get to a state of dunkitude, I had to get by an attendant manning a Fotomat-sized booth and collecting fees at the entrance to the only public beach I could find in the area. (Residents at Lake Tahoe have done an excellent job at making it difficult to actually get to the water, at least on the east side of the lake.) We struck up a conversation - this was easy, since he was also a rider. Instead of just asking me for a fee, the attendant asked me what I intended to do at the beach. I told him I was going to jump in and cool off. He said something similar to, "that's cool, go ahead". That was cool.

Not easily seen in the picture is the Mira-cool vest under the mesh jacket. Jumping in the lake did an excellent job of recharging the vest. Defunkified it pretty well, too. If there was a fish kill on July 27, 2006 on Lake Tahoe, I'm pretty sure I can explain it. I can certainly explain the decrease in water clarity on that day.

Beer: I think Sam Adams is enjoyable, but I don't drink enough beer to be an afficianado.

Scotch: The Macallans 18 (25 is reserved for family get togethers)

Cigar: Second hand smoke only for me since 2/8/05...I quit smoking then and will never try it again.

View: Mountains and a stream, or the ocean...

When "ol' silver" is in the barn for the evening, I prefer to proceed as follows:

Large fresh lime, squeezed

Havana Club 7 year old dark rum

Coke (the soft drink)

Ice cubes

Repeat as required

It's a Nova Scotian thingy, eh???

Beer: I think Sam Adams is enjoyable, but I don't drink enough beer to be an afficianado.
Scotch: The Macallans 18 (25 is reserved for family get togethers)

Cigar: Second hand smoke only for me since 2/8/05...I quit smoking then and will never try it again.

View: Mountains and a stream, or the ocean...
Thanks for reviving a 2 year old thread....

I now have had the opportunity to enjoy a post from our departed friend, Andrew (OrangevaleFJR).

[SIZE=8pt]DO NOT ask details on the forum![/SIZE]

Jack on the rocks, splash of water:
"Over the lips and past the gums

Look out abdomen

Cuz here she comes!"

- Hudson & Landry, Sir Basil

Refill, repeat.

No smokes for me, been off that shit for over two years and it's gonna stay that way.
And TWN as well!

Thanks. After a crummy day like today that was worth it's weight.

For the record:

Once the keys are planted - a nice, hoppy IPA is great (Squatters is good, Gen'l Sherman from Sequoia is even better).

Gin is my friend. Tonic is a close associate.

Not a fan of the stoggies (yet) but who knows...

Very good to hear from our old friends...myself a nice Gatorade Blue Sumthin' and some good ole Mezkin Schwag I swiped outa Odots bag when he wasnt lookin'.....those papers were stuck together man !! :rolleyes:

Bobby

I enjoy Orange Juice after a ride. I love the stuff. There's 6 gallons of juice in my fridge at this very moment.

Outside of that, a full body massage from a hot masseuse followed by a nap also is a massive winner. Oh, how I wish I still had a housemate who was a qualified massage therapist... those were the days.

After a long ride on the bike I like :

Soak in hot tub (an hour at least)

Sex (come on , I did all the work piloting the bike)

Scotch (Brand varies)

Cigar (ditto)

Not nessecarily in that order, and preferably .... all at the same time.

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reviving a 2 year old thread.... I now have had the opportunity to enjoy a post from our departed friend, Andrew (OrangevaleFJR). [SIZE=8pt]DO NOT ask details on the forum![/SIZE]
i visited his profile - seems like he was a an awesome fellow rider!

I wasn't in the Bar-biz for 18+yrs due to not liking the product that's a cinch! ...and my tastes are varied to say the least, it can be anything from Campari/soda or Pimms/tonic, to shots of Yukon/Micro-back [denizen of the NW {Micro-brew heaven} here & make it something Hoppy], or a nice bottle of Shiraz or Old Vine Zin!

While at a friends place on this Summers jaunt, going shot for shot w/ my bud [he's a hardened McNaughtens fan] left me looking for a lightweight alternative for the next nites festivities and of all things I ended up swilling 20oz Bud Lite Clamato Cheladas [ordinarily I wouldn't touch a Bud product] and they went down real easy-like after a hot day in the saddle, ...& I'm kinda still liking them clear into Fall!

That same Bar-biz stint left me a non-smoker and not fond of the 2nd hand stuff either , tho I smoked myself long enuf to be reasonably tolerant of those who do. Cigars, ...from a personal perspective however, sorry Gents, ...retch, gak, aargh, bleaghf.

All day riding two-up through a few mountain passes...break out the Tequila/sprite from the side bags for me, Mailbu and Coke for the pillion (chick drink of course). RubberMaid makes handy drink holders that are very packable. Build the camp fire and argue about who will be "driving" the next 12 minutes....

Good ole Oatmeal Porter or two to wash down the road grime. :yahoo: No smoke..that stuff will kill ya quicker than a 150 year old oak tree hit at 100+.

I visit the Doctor ~ Dr Pepper, diet with no caffeine . . . And then theirs always a good brew or few to relax after a bit of time off the bike . . . .

I smoked cigars for years, but the brands I favor are very hard (or impossible) to find these days in the US, and I am more likely to pick up a pipe. I prefer medium English blends... one that I like especially well that is on the lighter end of this spectrum is "Battleground" sold at the Tobaconist on Main Street in Murfreesboro, TN. The best deals on pipes for new pipe smokers these days are the Baronette Bruyere line of Italian style shell briars, which appear to be an attempt to knock off both Savinelli and Stanwell. My favorite old pipes are the early Stanwells.

As for other libation.... Grappa in the form of cafe correto or cafe amazzo for the Ducatista DNA that must lie latent in any FJR rider, even if its unknown as yet. Then, of course, anyone sitting on a porch in TN can't be too far away from some straight up bourbon, or maybe some TN sippin' whisky. I prefer bourbon... the TN sippin' whiskys often substitute charcoal filtering for proper aging, and that just doesn't work for me.

And then you can't leave out Cinzano, a primary sponsor of MotoGP racing in Europe. I like my Cinzano in the form of a spray into a glass, quickly covered by several ounces of very cold multiply distilled potato vodka, like Viking Fjord. Vodka based on grains is like making Bourbon out of grapes.

I do keep cigars under humidification and occasionally will smoke one. I like stuff with at least a 48 ring gauge, natural wrapper, long filler, maybe 4.5" to 6" long... Lots of good stuff out there, but for consistency and versitility, I like the natural wrapper Macanudos for their ability to get along with just about anything you might drink with them.