When to trade?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer

Reaction score
I was wondering what reasoning different people use when they buy a new bike. Is it because it's wore out or the wife finally got tired of the begging? Sometimes I see something and didn't realize I needed it until I seen it. Is that going on with the 2013's? Great to be on this forum, can't believe all the info that is available.

Farmer

I was wondering what reasoning different people use when they buy a new bike.
There are as many reasons as there are guys buying new bikes.

Some guys finally convince the wife. Some guys finally find the coins. Some guys finally can qualify for the loan. Some guys wear their bikes out. Some guys just like to trade.

I'm in the last category. I trade because its fun to try new things. And I'm fickle. FWIW, the bikes I currently own are all models that I've owned before, so sometimes we find some semblance of stability. If I trade any of these, it will be because I thought it would be more fun to own the new bike than the old. The best bike is the next bike.

Edit added: I am also of a mind to say that, at least for me, a legitimate test ride is about 3 months and 3,000 miles. If I don't like it at that point, it gets traded on something that looks like more fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Sometimes I see something and didn't realize I needed it until I seen it.”

I think that is why I bought a Ducati 999 last month with 416 miles on it. Had no idea I wanted or needed one till I seen it on Craig’s list and made the horrible mistake of going to take a look at it just for the fun of it.

Reason...new bike??

I wasn't aware we needed one...
tonguesmiley.gif

--G

My first trade was forced upon me by some dumbfuk that decided to pull out into the westbound lane and sit and wait for a break in the eastbound traffic. My second trade was after 5700 uncomfortable and poor handling Fatboy miles. The third trade was actually a sale after buying a boat and realizing I could not afford or use both to the fullest. After two years of boat ownership I'm getting out and going back to what I love. I was dead set on another HD but a friend turned me on to the FJR and my checkbook turned me off of another HD. I'll give the FJR a season then go from there. From everything I've read here this model bike may just be my last.

[quote name=Twinrivers" post="1026912" time="1356361599]My first trade was forced upon me by some dumbfuk that decided to pull out into the westbound lane and sit and wait for a break in the eastbound traffic. My second trade was after 5700 uncomfortable and poor handling Fatboy miles. The third trade was actually a sale after buying a boat and realizing I could not afford or use both to the fullest. After two years of boat ownership I'm getting out and going back to what I love. I was dead set on another HD but a friend turned me on to the FJR and my checkbook turned me off of another HD. I'll give the FJR a season then go from there. From everything I've read here this model bike may just be my last.

Having chosen the bike over the boat, I trust that you recognize the universality of the wisdom of Captain Jack Sparrow (slightly adapted, of course):

"A bike is more than a frame and wheels and gears - a bike is freedom!"

I think you start trading when paper money has no more worth. Then you use the term in it's original definition.

I always justify it by considering I've bought all the bikes I currently own for less than some of my buddys spent on their one Hardley.

Of course, if I add a FJR, that reasoning is out!!

Easy question, to me. Trade (or sell) when it costs more to maintain the bike safe and dependable than it would cost to replace it. ***

(*** This advice applies ONLY if you have a bike you LOVE already. Like I do.)
thumbsupsmiley.png

When to trade? Easy. Never. Sell it first then buy whatever you want. Trading is a losing deal every time.
It depends. You in NH don't have the sales tax issues in play. In a state like mine where the sales tax is between 7% and 9.75% depending on the value of the vehicle, and where they do not charge you sales tax on the value of your trade, trading can be financially just fine.

Also, if you are trading a late model low mileage bike, trade values can be high if you're good at trading.

I've traded two bikes toward one. I've traded high dollar bike toward lower dollar bike and gotten cash back. I've traded low dollar bikes on high dollar bikes.

The key to trading is to be realistic. Make sure they know that you can do the deal without the trade. That way they figure its worth their time to keep working with you. At the same time, focus on the cash difference as opposed to the value of the new bike or the value of the trade bike.

A nearly fool proof final line is "Well, I'd do it for $X, but if you want to do it for $(X + 400), I'm going to have to run it by the wife." The usual response to this is "We're so close, and I don't want to lose you over $400, so I'll do it for $X. You've got to be talking to the sales manager to get this to work, but you should be talking to the sales manager anyway.

Trading is a lot of fun. And you don't have to put up with the Looky Lous, you don't have to put up with test rides, and you don't have to fool with guys who may or may not get approved for the loan they'll need.

I never sell bikes outright unless they're ones that have lost their trade value. Older bikes, high mileage bikes, salvage title bikes, cosmetically ugly bikes.... prepare to take a bath on any of these, if you can get someone to take them in trade at all.

I tried to add this with an edit, but no edit button appeared to be available.

When you trade you have NO advertising expense either. No ebay fees. No paypal deposit fees. No local newspaper ads. These can add up to $100 to $200 on a normal sale.

If you're lucky enough to move your bike through free classifieds like here on this forum, that's great. But don't forget that there will often be 5 guys ready to post that your price is too high, and most of the gloating is over who got the best deal .... its never the seller.

Another option is consignment sales. A lot of bike shops around here do this. Generally costs about $100 but it gets lots of exposure and constant attention by sales people and you'll usually get a better price without the hassles.

I traded my bike. I know I might have lost a bit on the deal over selling the bike, but all that really mattered to me was getting the bike I wanted. They gave me $5500 for my completely stock 2006 A model.

Tax wise, that was $5500 worth of sales tax I didn't have to pay for on the new bike. No ads to pay for, no waiting to find a buyer, no extra insurance to pay for while waiting. No hassles to deal with period.

That said, I've sold bikes before too. As I was a "waiter" on my 06 model, I had time to sell the bike I had. It's about timing, desire,and what's more important. It's not always about money.

True, I can only afford to own one bike at a time, and this is exactly why I trade (or sell) every 5-6 years....life is short, and there are a lot of bikes I want to ride...and like to own. Every bike I owned was special to me and will always have a soft spot in my heart. Even the FJR. But I don't want to die without trying out as many as I can (that I have some interest in.)

I don't know what I'll have in another 5-6 years, but I bet it will be something I'd regret not having the opportunity to ride and own for awhile.

When the fjr no longer puts a grin on your face, trade it.

Lucky for me my old pos 09 just keeps getting better.

Only 3 payments left baby.
dance.gif