Where Does The Other .23 Quart Go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, dont throw any rocks at me,.... when i change the oil in my cb1000 its a 1995, i do, fer sher feel a diff in the shifting, vibbin thing. it happens in my 77 pinto also. when i change the earl in the 1300fjr, i hope to feel the same diff. i just got the bike, and this weekend is gonna be the 1st change. i hope the shifting is a lil smoooother. it do feel a little notchy as said b4. we shall see.

Yesterday was maintenance day for me. New tires, oil change, final drive fluid change. This is my third oil change and it happened again yesterday - 4 quarts and I'm perfectly in between the dots on the sight glass. Bin O Facts says 4.23. Not that it's relevant, but Shell Rotella T Synthetic (per Jestal), Mobil 1 -110 cartridge. Should I add another quarter-quart or just let it go?
And now for the even more stupid question (yes, it's possible...I haven't had much coffee yet): Different oil accentuates vibration? No, no, not possible right? I was running Mobil 1 before. It's not the new PR2's because when I was on the highway at max vibe RPM (4k), I pulled the clutch and released the gas - smooth as silk. FWIW, the bike has had multiple TBS's including the Smitty patented TBS. I think it just is what it is. But it was an amusing thought to think the oil would somehow make the engine act/feel differently.

Sometimes I think it might just be the mood I'm in. Bad mood = more perceived vibration.
You said you did the Final Drive. What weight and type oil do you use for that?