Where does this screw go?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BwanaDik

Reaction score
I did a Penske shock install today. My ISP was down so I couldn't access the thread by FJRocket about how to do it to an 06 AE (my bike). Got it done none the less. However, I came up with this, it is a Allen head screw with a prominent collar (loose)

CIMG2492.jpg

CIMG2493.jpg

CIMG2494.jpg

I looked at the POS FSM and got a clue that you needed to have the airbox and associated BS out of the way to access the top of the shock. I didn't remember that FJRocket had removed the electric shift mechinism. Oh well, I learned more about my bike.

So the screw could be anywhere from the tool tray all the way down to the airbox.

Any suggestions?

Surely you didn't forget to put the screw in on the left side panel right below the grab handle?
Got it! Thanks Russ! Phew, I was really sweating taking it all apart again. Don't know how the other guys did it without removing the airbox, must have tiny, skinny fingers.

All well now except it's too fcuking HOT here (104 +humidity) to take it for a test ride.

Surely you didn't forget to put the screw in on the left side panel right below the grab handle?
Got it! Thanks Russ! Phew, I was really sweating taking it all apart again. Don't know how the other guys did it without removing the airbox, must have tiny, skinny fingers.

All well now except it's too fcuking HOT here (104 +humidity) to take it for a test ride.
Take the rear tire off.. The plastic shit moves enough to work "through" it

I dont have tiny, skinny, anything

I fought it the first time, took like 8 beers to get it done.. Second time, with he back tire off.. Took me longer to cycle the tire on and off than the shock.