Where is the VIN? & Getting Texas inspection?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldBoy123

Reaction score
First off Im a New owner of my very first 2004 FJR.

And its the first street motorcycle since I moved to Texas.

So please cut me some slack?

I was wondering where to look for VIN's on my FJR?

VIN Motor match VIN frame?

Im getting ready to take it in for the Safety Inspection in TEXAS.

Not sure what to expect? For example in Texas they must drive your car to inspect the Brakes.

At least they seem to do that to me everytime I take my HEMI in.

Im not to happy having some inspector riding my FJR to inspect Brakes & then dumping it.

Anyway I was just wondering where to tell the inspectors to look for my VIN?

With out having to tear off pannels?

By the way I wish my FJR had a lower 1st gear ratio. Its just to dam FAST.

And I find I have to work the clutch to go SLOW.

Engine # is on the bottom right hand side of the motor, brake side, on the rear of the engine, need to use a flashlight to get a good view.

VIN is on the steering head, between the triple clamps, right side.

Engine number is on the rear of the engine in front of the swing arm. You can see it with a mirror from the right side of the bike.

Going slow (parking lot speed)??? Technique.

Its a little Dark out there at the moment.

But first thing tomarrow morning I will get my flash light and mirror and look.

Thanks!

[SIZE=12pt]Simply amazing!!![/SIZE]

3 of us posted at the same time with the same answer and nary a snide comment or "nooby bash". So much for the "whiney-babies" who claim we forum members always dogpile when someone asks a legitimate question. Perhaps it has to do with the way the question is asked? :unsure:

Inspectors do not ride the bike. They do a walk around inspection and check that you have insurance. Make sure your lights/signals work, your tires are good, and bring your insurance card.

Some inspectors will have you test the brakes as you ride it. Usually if the bike is in very good condition and looks like it has been taken care of they will not test the brakes.

I just had a big "WTF" moment with my FJR with this exact situation. In Nebraska, you have to take any used vehicle which you have purchased out of state to the Sheriff's office so they can check the VIN before you can license them. Well, my bike popped up on the computer as being stolen out of San Jose, CA!!!! VIN was hot...motor # wasn't. I knew this was fricked up because I talked to the guy who previously owned the bike....he had bought the bike new from this dealer in '06 (traded it in on an "08 FJR) along with about five other bikes over the years. Dealer faxed down all the history and service records they had on the bike to the Sheriff. On top of all that, my bike had the instrument cluster changed out because of the recall, so the mileage wasn't matching. Even though I had all the documentation for that, it was still looking fishy to the cops...and rightfully so! Pretty tense situation for a few hours as things got straightened out...seems someone in the San Jose PD had screwed up the VIN on the stolen bike report! I"m just thankful that I never got pulled over anytime in my "in transit" period, it would have been straight to jail for a little while!! I feel sorry for the poor guy in San Jose who had his FJR stolen, it might have been recovered had the right VIN been typed in. It's scary that a slip of the fingers on the keyboard can cause so much trouble!!!

Inspectors do not ride the bike. They do a walk around inspection and check that you have insurance. Make sure your lights/signals work, your tires are good, and bring your insurance card.
Huh? I have never had a bike inspected in Texas where they haven't ridden it.

My advice to the OP is to take it to a dealership and get the inspection. They'll know where to find the VIN, have experience riding bikes, yada, yada, yada... The inspection fee is the same whether you take it to your local Yammi dealer, or the sniveling punks at Jiffy Lube, so why not take it to someone that rides motorcycles all day long?

Huh? I have never had a bike inspected in Texas where they haven't ridden it.

My advice to the OP is to take it to a dealership and get the inspection. They'll know where to find the VIN, have experience riding bikes, yada, yada, yada... The inspection fee is the same whether you take it to your local Yammi dealer, or the sniveling punks at Jiffy Lube, so why not take it to someone that rides motorcycles all day long?

I've had just the opposite experience. Been riding bikes for over 30 years here in Texas and never had an inspector even start or much less ride the bike.

Enter your city and find the "MC" column to locate one in your area.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/new_locator.asp
I check out that web site befor.

On that web page "upper left side " if you go to the page "Inspection Criteria" It list all that is inpected on a MC.

My qestion if anyone knows is on the list of items is #4 Brakes Assembly.

What do they mean by "Assembly"?

Just Looking at the Brake Assembly? or Drive test Assembly?

Im asking so I understand my rights in this matter?

Some inspection stations Drive cars,trucks & MC? Some don't ever in my area.

So may be None of them realy know what there doing?

I hope you understand why im asking? Confused?

Not wanting to cause trouble on the form. OK?

was this bike regestered in texas by the P.O.?

i understand your being concerned, but i don't feel you have any worries.

this bike is 4 yrs old. it should pass any inspection texas has.

cadman

Two ways to get inspected in Texas.

1) take your bike to a dealer, go around front and check the new gear, they bring your bike back with a new sticker.

2) take your bike to the local oil change & inspection place, they ask to to do a stop in so many feet from 20 mph; if you stop you are good. They then get you to bring the bike around where they look at general condition, check blinkers, etc. Write up a new sticker and put it on.

3) take your bike to the local oil change & inspection place, they send you to the office to read a month old green sheet and drink a cup of two day old coffee, they bring it back with a new inspection sticker and 20 extra miles on it.

Take your choice.

Two ways to get inspected in Texas. 1) take your bike to a dealer, go around front and check the new gear, they bring your bike back with a new sticker.

2) take your bike to the local oil change & inspection place, they ask to to do a stop in so many feet from 20 mph; if you stop you are good. They then get you to bring the bike around where they look at general condition, check blinkers, etc. Write up a new sticker and put it on.

3) take your bike to the local oil change & inspection place, they send you to the office to read a month old green sheet and drink a cup of two day old coffee, they bring it back with a new inspection sticker and 20 extra miles on it.

Take your choice.
Ya know what they say, regarding people and their math skills: There are three types; those that get it, and those that don't.

:D :p

Every inspection I have had done at a non-dealer involved me riding the bike to 20 mph and upon reaching a painted line stopping the bike before the next painted line. It has never taken even 1/4 of the distance. Other than that, it has all been horn, lights, signals and tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the bike at the dealer to do the ECU exchange. I was still playing with the bikes in the showroom when the wrench came to get me when it was done. I was putting on my helmet getting ready to take off and he asked me if I needed an inspection.

Well, I was there, I had the time, and I would need one as my plates were due next month. So, I said yeah, sure, go ahead.

He filled out a piece of paper, then stuck a little yellow sticker on my upper fork, and then handed me a reciept and said I had to go pay the cashier. That was the entire extent of my "inspection"

Now, I do not know if they test rode the bike after the ECU swap, or not. But would guess not. Likely they did start it and make sure it ran.

My only thinking here is :

1. It was a new bike and if I rode it there it must work.

2. The bike was OCD spotless, so perhaps he figured I was one of those guys that took such good care

of my bike there would not be a thing wrong to find.

3. He did take the bike out for a test ride, and knew nothing was amiss.