where to get ABS TEST COUPLER

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palerider

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on where to obtain an ABS TEST COUPLER. It's a special tool. The manual lists the part number as 90890-03149-00. I've tried two mail-order places that took my order then told me it was unavailable, and I've tried my dealer, who at first couldn't find the part online, then tried to order it and couldn't get one. What's the scoop. The manual calls for it for certain kinds of testing, in particular for modifying the settings on the auto-clutch.

There are four wires in the Gen I ABS test connector. The "ABS TEST COUPLER" simply consists of a jumper wire that shorts the Sky Blue wire to the Black wire to actuate the ABS solenoid and two other wires that are just used for voltage testing with a standard volt meter.

All bets are off with your AE. If you have the FSM, the section on ABS brakes should show what the 'tool' is and how to use it. I'm pretty sure that the Test Coupler for your AE is going to be a jumper and nothing more. Dang, sure wish I had a Gen II FSM -- just not enough to buy one.

There are four wires in the Gen I ABS test connector. The "ABS TEST COUPLER" simply consists of a jumper wire that shorts the Sky Blue wire to the Black wire to actuate the ABS solenoid and two other wires that are just used for voltage testing with a standard volt meter.
All bets are off with your AE. If you have the FSM, the section on ABS brakes should show what the 'tool' is and how to use it. I'm pretty sure that the Test Coupler for your AE is going to be a jumper and nothing more. Dang, sure wish I had a Gen II FSM -- just not enough to buy one.
Yup, it's just a jumper. Sadly I don't know which wires to jump and don't much feel like trial-and-error. It's not the trial part that worries me.

Any new info on GenII bikes? Was reading the owner's manual, and was surprised to see you can feel how the ABS pulsates with a special tool (aka 'jumper wire'). I guess similar to the Suzuki ones to adjust the TPS, no? Still have it from my recently departed SV1000.

Anyway, is this 'cycling' needed to bleed the brakes properly? Does anybody know? Dealer tech said manual didn't call for anything special to bleed the brakes (bleed normally), but I want to make sure. Not that I'm going to do it right now wtih only 100 miles, but would like to know. Thanks gang.

JC

Many of us have successfully bled the brakes without the tool. If you are feeling really anal, bleed the brakes, go for a ride and jam the rear pedal. That will activate the rear ABS and cycle the pump. Then simply bleed again.

I did that when I installed my spieglers, and the brakes have been solid since. Many reported not doing it and not having any softness either. Your choice.

Or, just jump the damn wires. The manual shows you which ones.

-BD