Where's the flasher relay??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8909

Genlll SS
Reaction score
behind the fairing I suspect but how's the best way to get to?

got a Kisan to install.

anyones help is appreciated.

Bump

I looked at the Yamaha Parts Catalog and its not any help either. It just shows it under the front cowling.

My service manual is of little or no help as it doesn't give physical locations.

I found this post by using Google and typing Kisan site:fjrforum.com. Using the "Kisan" link you will find a number of posts that might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looks like the Flasher Relay Assembly is part # 59, under the front cowling.

hmmm, can't get images to show but that's where it says it is.

Bump
I looked at the Yamaha Parts Catalog and its not any help either. It just shows it under the front cowling.

My service manual is of little or no help as it doesn't give physical locations.

I found this post by using Google and typing Kisan site:fjrforum.com. Using the "Kisan" link you will find a number of posts that might help.
thanks, I did the same with the parts catalog and manual I got the same results, I also did a search but "remove the windshield, the bracket and the access cover" was a little vague for me but I guess that's my best choice.

this appears to not be a very common mod.

thanks again.

I went after mine once on my '03. It was behind the small plate on the upper fairing behind the windshield. I could touch it with my finger but there is no way that I could have replaced it without removing the upper fairing.

I did he Kisan self canceling flasher on my '05. Once you remove the windshield, there is a small cover held in place by a button head screw. IIRC, underneath that is a rubber sleeve that the flasher slip fits into. If memory serves me right, however, I believe that it is unfortunately not a straight shot to the flasher underneath the cover though, and you might have to remove the cowl or other plastics to get to it.

BTW, the flasher is adjustable for 10/20/30 flashes before self-canceling. I set mine at 20 and found that it was too short a time frame for most traffic lights/intersections. I will be switching back to the stock unit because you have to constantly reset the flasher switch to use it again anyway. I would rather install brighter turn signal indicator bulbs or an accessory turn signal piezo beeper should I need a gentle reminder. :blink:

I've put these on other bikes - but not the FJR.

If the spot on the FJR is pretty shielded from weather, then that would be good enough. If you think there's a chance that moisture might get to the signal-minder, then I'd recommend additional water proofing. I found them to be very sensitive to moisture - when they got damp, your indicators simply stopped working.

To be safe - you might want to think about popping a Trojan on that thing before you put it in.

(now where have I heard that before?)

Kisan good - moisture bad - good luck!

Like Toynut, I did it on my 05. There's an access cover behind the windshield. Remove it, look to the left and you will see the flasher. Next, you need real tiny, long, fingers preferably with some extra joints. I'm not sure the Kisan will fit into the Yam rubber holder. I Velcroed and zip tied mine in place. Eventually the kisan failed and I got to repeat the whole process again to put the stock flasher back.

Be advised too that in order to get the flasher to reset after flashing, you need to do the Kisan mods to the switch. If you don't, and I didn't, you will need to cancel before you switch the signals on.

tl

I put master blaster horns on my 07 this weekend and noticed what appeared to be the flasher relay just to the left of the battery under the front edge of the cowling.

I put master blaster horns on my 07 this weekend and noticed what appeared to be the flasher relay just to the left of the battery under the front edge of the cowling.
According to the physicl diagram on the Yamaha site: Parts Catalog, there are 3 different relays in that area (ahead of the battery, under the nose cowling). Be certain which it is.

On an 04.

FlasherRelay.jpg

I just installed one on my 06. It is under the right side of the dash area. I removed the windshield and fromt cowling to get at it. There are several relays there so I decided to just turn it on and changed out the relay making noise. Worked for me.

My picture is better than Rouge's and my tupperware removal process is MUCH faster too! :rolleyes:
Numero Uno: Where is the relay?

Numero Dos: How can you tell?

Numero Tres: Removal es rapido, Restoration: Some assistance and new parts required.
Uno - to find the relay, just turn a blinker on and listen. Then put finger on the noisy square thing. If it vibrates, you found it! Simple really!

Dos-oh - See Uno

Tres-oh - Yeah, got me there. Nothing 7k won't and 2.5 months won't handle. Where the hecks is Smitty when you need him?

Latest posts