Which bar riser plate?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadRunner244

Reaction score
Hello everybody. This forum is mind bending! I’m new to posting but have been lurking, reading and learning for awhile. I can’t imagine a group more informative and helpful than those of you who post here. About a year ago I began thinking about filling an empty slot in my garage with an FJR. From my time spent here I just about everything I wanted to know about the machine has been covered. I was so impressed that I just jumped up and got myself a black beauty—2008. Smooooth! Faaaaast! Have only been able to get a few good rides in on it and love it so far. Only issue so far is neck/shoulder pain from the riding position. This is not new, had the same problem with a cruiser until I was able to get the bars up and back through a couple of adaptations. I know I am going have to do something with the FJR bars. It’s seriously painful. After researching risers vs. plates I’m looking at 2 riser plates — [Violation of rule 10] and Helibars. The only difference I see is [Violation of rule 10] rise is 1 ½ inches vs. Helibars rise of only ½ inch. I am trying to get as much up and back as possible while keeping the stock control cables. Any input I can get of why one or the other is much appreciated. I did searches and couldn’t find any comparisons of the two, but if I missed it apologies in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everybody. This forum is mind bending! I’m new to posting but have been lurking, reading and learning for awhile. I can’t imagine a group more informative and helpful than those of you who post here. About a year ago I began thinking about filling an empty slot in my garage with an FJR. From my time spent here I just about everything I wanted to know about the machine has been covered. I was so impressed that I just jumped up and got myself a black beauty—2008. Smooooth! Faaaaast! Have only been able to get a few good rides in on it and love it so far. Only issue so far is neck/shoulder pain from the riding position. This is not new, had the same problem with a cruiser until I was able to get the bars up and back through a couple of adaptations. I know I am going have to do something with the FJR bars. It’s seriously painful. After researching risers vs. plates I’m looking at 2 riser plates — [Violation of rule 10] and Helibars. The only difference I see is [Violation of rule 10] rise is 1 ½ inches vs. Helibars rise of only ½ inch. I am trying to get as much up and back as possible while keeping the stock control cables. Any input I can get of why one or the other is much appreciated. I did searches and couldn’t find any comparisons of the two, but if I missed it apologies in advance.

I believe helibars also have an optional set of risers that raise the bars a total of 1 3/4" and back ??? (douple check on their site please). The helibars and optional risers install with using the standard cables. Helibar users tend to love them from what I hear. I've just ordered a set of GenMar risers fro my '09 model. I opted for theses because they are much easier to install, and because I know users very much appreciate these as well. I think most or at least many FJR owners add some type of risers.

Rheal

Roadrunner 244,

Boy you are really smart to organize your question this way, otherwise you'd get blasted "outa here" for even alluding to (Violation of rule 10). I wish I could help you! I installed the "blocks" that raise the handlebars about 1.2 inches and bring them back slightly. Works great for me, I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam (long torso). I rode the bike stock for a year, and finally made this mod, and it works fine, not earth shattering, just takes a bit of pressure off during long trips. I assume you've researched the "Master Yoda" riding position?? If not, do this first................ then apply it..............then decide if you need the handlebar position changed. I'm 'jes sayin', because if I don't say it, a bunch of others will.

Good Luck!

WHOA! Had to look up that rule... Guess I stepped in it, but, now I have to admit a vague recollection of reading about some issue with the individual a long while back. It just didn't register when I posted. Got it now. Guess I should (re)search the issue so I can make an informed decision. Yes, I practice "Master Yoda". It is taking a bit of practice and concentration until it is a more second nature kind of thing. Haven't 'mastered' it yet but am working on it. It helps, but still need to bring myself more upright with risers or something of the sort. Thanks for your response.

Thanks, Rheal. Will check that out. Somehow I have been under the impression that, although more complicated to install, riser "plates" allow the most upright position. That may be wrong, I just don't know. I've looked at various risers, and called Helibars but have to say I didn't get a real clear description/explanation in what the their various products do insofar as providing the most upright position.

Can someone post a good link to the master yoda riding position?

Can someone post a good link to the master yoda riding position?
Zed 88,

I found a thread talking about the Master Yoda position on the BMW Sport Touring Forum. Here's the "outline" from a post on that thread:

"REALLY, MYRP is about riding ANY bike.

Bend torso at hip joint, not waist

Butt behind feet

Support with foot pressure from the BACK of thighs

Back with slight arch

Shoulders back

Elbows bent

(Forearms as closely level to ground as possible)

No weight on bars.

All that changes from bike to bike about THAT is torso angle."

This pretty much sums it up. If you've ridden horses or had lessons you know that you ride with your back straight, bending forward at the hips, not the waist, and not "slouching". Your back should actually feel "convex" in shape. (Your belly button pushed forward over your hips). Use your thighs/legs to support your torso.

It's really pretty easy, and when you do it right you will not be putting any pressure on the bars. For me the secret was making sure my back was in the right position (no slouching!). It does take practice but it's not that hard to train yourself. When you catch yourself "leaning" on the bars, you're not doing it right!!

I hope this helps a little.

Roadrunner 244,Boy you are really smart to organize your question this way, otherwise you'd get blasted "outa here" for even alluding to (Violation of rule 10).
actually, he DID get his warn level raised (like anyone would) and the original content removed per rule 10. a warn isn't a time out until there's a chronic problem. a time out isn't a ban until the time outs become chronic. there are exceptions to this which typically involve someone displaying exquisite skills in being dickish about somehow being outside of the posted rules. RR was none of these at any time.

...had the same problem with a cruiser until I was able to get the bars up and back through a couple of adaptations. I know I am going have to do something with the FJR bars. It’s seriously painful.
The answer...?:

six_bends_zoomimage-01-01.jpg
harleyd8image.jpg

RR244, I felt your pain - until I swapped out the handlebars completely. I had to flatten those bars out and pull them back to get them comfortable. But it was a big job, one that you can read about here in detail if you wish (Helibar Mod)

I'm glad I spent the time though, as it opens the door to other farkles, such as a truly "usable" driver's backrest. (I guess I'm more on the "touring" side of the "sport-touring" lately :rolleyes: )

4488489650_71300179c8_o.jpg

Roadrunner 244,Boy you are really smart to organize your question this way, otherwise you'd get blasted "outa here" for even alluding to (Violation of rule 10).
actually, he DID get his warn level raised (like anyone would) and the original content removed per rule 10. a warn isn't a time out until there's a chronic problem. a time out isn't a ban until the time outs become chronic. there are exceptions to this which typically involve someone displaying exquisite skills in being dickish about somehow being outside of the posted rules. RR was none of these at any time.
Bounce,

OK, yeah, I wondered about even alluding to the "rule".

Thanks for letting us know,

I did a search and still can't find rule 10..... (found 1 through 7) :blink:

Thanks for the info on the yoda position, I'll have to try that..

-Rick

Roadrunner...I'm in the same situation as you. I love the FJR, but I still have a slight forward lean that causes wrist and shoulder pain over longer distances. I have tried the riser blocks, which helped, but they still are not enough. I have been comparing the two units you are looking at. For me, I think they are pretty much the same in build quality. I need the maximum amount of adjustment and it seems as if the "other" brand can give this to me in a single piece of machined metal versus having to add riser blocks to the Helibar plate. Hopefully this will be my next farkle. Good luck!

RPRice: I did the edit of the OP to remove the content that violated rule 10 while sending the warn.

Strayshot: It's on the FORUM GUIDELINES link right next to the VIEW NEW CONTENT link.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules
Thanks for the pointer... I was looking under all the pinned topincs in the forums, didn't even notice the "Forum Guidelins" link at the top of the friggin' page! :headslap:

Having read that now, why would you even want to consider buying something from someone like that?

-Rick